• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Goretti disruption - 8/9 January 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,293
Location
East Midlands
The Met Office website was fine until they decided to give it a completely unnecessary and gimmicky new look. They currently have a "switch back to the old site" option but for how long?
I hadn't noticed since it appears I'm defaulting to the old site. There's a "switch to new site" option at the top of the main page. I guess they are rolling it out selectively. Now I've looked, the new site looks dumbed down for mobile to me, which is not what you want on a larger screen. Anyhow, I guess we're getting way off topic now!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,895
Adhesion forecasts at least come from the Met Office

They will next year.

The base forecast is produced by various different models, of which the UK Met office own one. The other model that tends to be used by UK weather apps is the ECMWF (European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts). Meteo use the latter.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,306
Location
Bolton
Perhaps this will ease any worries trainophile or others may have, but everything has gone smoothly today on the several Transport for Wales services I used with a ticket from 9 January. Obviously they don't open the ticket gates, but it's a simple case of approaching a member of staff, and they are all very well aware of the cancellations yesterday. I overheard several other passengers with tickets from yesterday speaking to the conductor too, there are obviously plenty of people out today who've deferred setting off.
 

Porty

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2020
Messages
277
Location
Edinburgh
They will next year.

The base forecast is produced by various different models, of which the UK Met office own one. The other model that tends to be used by UK weather apps is the ECMWF (European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts). Meteo use the latter

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I hesitate to go wildly off topic but I'd recommend the free "windy" app. There's a huge amount of detailed information and it clearly sets out the forecasting of 10 different models.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,917
Location
Gwynedd
The Met Office website was fine until they decided to give it a completely unnecessary and gimmicky new look. They currently have a "switch back to the old site" option but for how long?
Glad I'm not the only one.

I normally opt in to beta features and find them useful, but I really didn't get on with the new MetOffice views. Less information but using even more space to do so.

Not sure what's gone on there really as I would've thought some of the issues would be fairly obvious.
 

BayPaul

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
1,517

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I hesitate to go wildly off topic but I'd recommend the free "windy" app. There's a huge amount of detailed information and it clearly sets out the forecasting of 10 different models.
I also love Windy. I like that it treats the viewer as an intelligent person, giving lots of 'raw' data, rather than just dumbed down symbols. It means that you can also judge how accurate the forecast is likely to be.
 

LAX54

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2008
Messages
3,906
Yes and all staff in the GA ROC were also offered overnight accommodation in Romford and expenses. Complimentary Taxi’s to/from home were also offered to anyone requesting them.
Not sure the PSB had taxi's, but a few took up the Hotel offer, even those quite 'local' but would have had issues, the result was no one called in to say cannot get to work, it was fully staffed.
 

cats_five

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2021
Messages
272
Location
Scotland
The Met Office website was fine until they decided to give it a completely unnecessary and gimmicky new look. They currently have a "switch back to the old site" option but for how long?

I don't use their forecast places for places, I do use their maps & charts rainfall & cloud layers, the surface pressure (synoptic) charts, the inshore shipping forecast can be useful for coastal walking, and back in my flying days I used to look at their offerings for aviators. For hill walking in Scotland I use MWIS as well. No idea where it gets it's data from but it's hugely useful.

Edit: MWIS explain how they do their forecasts: https://www.mwis.org.uk/information/about-us/how-we-forecast
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,895

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I hesitate to go wildly off topic but I'd recommend the free "windy" app. There's a huge amount of detailed information and it clearly sets out the forecasting of 10 different models.

Yep that’s the main one I use.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top