• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations that should be renamed to a more suitable name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,114
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Isn't there already a Tipperary station one stop down the line?
Yes.
Maybe "Tipperary Central" and "Tipperary Main Line" (or General or Interchange or Hauptbahnhof or whatever is favoured to capture that notion)
Limerick Junction has been known to generations of Irish people as the station where you change for/from Limerick city when travelling to/from Dublin, Cork, etc. It's not going to change.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,932
Location
Exeter
Isn't there already a Tipperary station one stop down the line?

Maybe "Tipperary Central" and "Tipperary Main Line" (or General or Interchange or Hauptbahnhof or whatever is favoured to capture that notion)
Tipperary itself just gets two trains a day (Limerick Jn to Waterford). Tipperary Parkway perhaps?
 

Kilopylae

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2018
Messages
1,107
Location
Uxbridge (ex Devon)
Limerick Junction has been known to generations of Irish people as the station where you change for/from Limerick city when travelling to/from Dublin, Cork, etc. It's not going to change.
I defer to your greater knowledge.

By way of comparison, I can only imagine how bloody confusing it would be if Clapham Junction or New Street changed names, so I can definitely accept that sometimes an interchange's name becomes ossified and unchangeable!
 

A0

On Moderation
Joined
19 Jan 2008
Messages
7,751
And Kelly's Kitchen Roundabout on the end of the MK stretch of the A5. It now has a McDonald's (using, I understand, the modular McDs from the Olympic site which was purchased by MK's prolific McD's franchisee and moved there), before that it was a Little Chef. It's not played host to a Kelly's Kitchen since the early 1990s if that.
Having worked in MK for 20 years from the early 00's, I never heard it referred to as that by locals....

Getting back OT, maybe Berkswell should really be Balsall Common
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,709
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Having worked in MK for 20 years from the early 00's, I never heard it referred to as that by locals....

I found it was the "Little Chef roundabout" and then the "McDonald's roundabout" based on what that former Kelly's Kitchen site had become. But you do seem to hear it occasionally now. Not on the signs though, I thought it was.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
But some of these are the correct full name for the settlement they serve. I don't think that the locals would be very happy about having their station name abbreviated!

Edenbridge could well be renamed Edenbridge North but Edenbridge Town is just that.
In this vain, Kingston should be renamed Kingston upon Thames.

Hull should be Kingston upon Hull.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,363
Location
Yorkshire
I defer to your greater knowledge.

By way of comparison, I can only imagine how bloody confusing it would be if Clapham Junction or New Street changed names, so I can definitely accept that sometimes an interchange's name becomes ossified and unchangeable!
The area surrounding Llandudno Junction Station is now known as Llandudno Junction... the station itself is still a junction though, so perhaps it should be called "Llandudno Junction Junction". ;)
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,413
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
There are similarly misleading stations in London, such as Edgware Road (*2), Finchley Road (with or without Frognal). I know that some people seem to think that Finchley starts at Finchley Road, and that Tottenham is around Tottenham Court Road, and I imagine that Wandsworth Road and Edgware Road cause similar confusion.

Tottenham Court Road is probably the one which, for me, I would ditch. The name is confusing, and it’s one of no fewer than three stations whose entrances directly serve the road itself. In TCR’s case it also serves Oxford Street, a major destination, and Charing Cross Road. “St Giles Circus” would be preferable for me.

If there really has to be a Tottenham Court Road station then Goodge Street should be renamed, as that’s roughly at the mid-point of the road.

Holborn and Chancery Lane are also messy. Chancery Lane was just about okay for its original street entrance, but having been resited some way to the east it is now some distance away from the street itself. Meanwhile the road named Holborn is served by Chancery Lane, albeit the area around Holborn station does go by the station name.

The two Edgware Road stations are the others I’d look at, although in their case I’m not sure what you’d rename then to.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,114
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Tottenham Court Road is probably the one which, for me, I would ditch. The name is confusing, and it’s one of no fewer than three stations whose entrances directly serve the road itself. In TCR’s case it also serves Oxford Street, a major destination, and Charing Cross Road. “St Giles Circus” would be preferable for me.

If there really has to be a Tottenham Court Road station then Goodge Street should be renamed, as that’s roughly at the mid-point of the road.

Holborn and Chancery Lane are also messy. Chancery Lane was just about okay for its original street entrance, but having been resited some way to the east it is now some distance away from the street itself. Meanwhile the road named Holborn is served by Chancery Lane, albeit the area around Holborn station does go by the station name.

The two Edgware Road stations are the others I’d look at, although in their case I’m not sure what you’d rename then to.
Paddington East and Marylebone West?
 

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Joined
23 Apr 2022
Messages
1,090
Location
London
Tottenham Court Road is probably the one which, for me, I would ditch. The name is confusing, and it’s one of no fewer than three stations whose entrances directly serve the road itself. In TCR’s case it also serves Oxford Street, a major destination, and Charing Cross Road. “St Giles Circus” would be preferable for me.
Or just St Giles. Another thing to consider is that long words in station names make it difficult to produce an attractive and comprehensible tube map, and Tottenham Court Road is considered by map designers to be the worst culprit.

If there really has to be a Tottenham Court Road station then Goodge Street should be renamed, as that’s roughly at the mid-point of the road.
Goodge Street should be "Fitzrovia".

Holborn and Chancery Lane are also messy. Chancery Lane was just about okay for its original street entrance, but having been resited some way to the east it is now some distance away from the street itself. Meanwhile the road named Holborn is served by Chancery Lane, albeit the area around Holborn station does go by the station name.
Holborn station should be called High Holborn.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Tottenham Court Road is probably the one which, for me, I would ditch. The name is confusing, and it’s one of no fewer than three stations whose entrances directly serve the road itself. In TCR’s case it also serves Oxford Street, a major destination, and Charing Cross Road. “St Giles Circus” would be preferable for me.

If there really has to be a Tottenham Court Road station then Goodge Street should be renamed, as that’s roughly at the mid-point of the road.

Holborn and Chancery Lane are also messy. Chancery Lane was just about okay for its original street entrance, but having been resited some way to the east it is now some distance away from the street itself. Meanwhile the road named Holborn is served by Chancery Lane, albeit the area around Holborn station does go by the station name.

The two Edgware Road stations are the others I’d look at, although in their case I’m not sure what you’d rename then to.
If you moved the name of Tottenham Couet Road to another station and I was the Street Naming and Numbering officer working for that borough, Westminster, I would be advising against it as it would just confuse all the people who know where it is currently located. They would all get off at the wrong station.

For the record, I work in Street Naming and Numbering but not for the Westminster council.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top