• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stanhope to Edinburgh in an HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
The 'kids' were 100% not doing the doors, they may of got off and reboarded at stations, but they had no Involvement what so ever with the safety operation of the doors on the train, and it would be wrong to imply they did.

State facts if you are commenting on here

Only older people. Who were safety critical were doing/operating the doors. No 'kids' were doing the doors.

I wonder if this means I'm getting old enough that everyone looks like kids to me... 100% folk I would classify as kids were opening/closing doors (not necessarily same as being responsible for them in a safety critical sense)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gwr12345

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2020
Messages
287
Location
Delayed
I wonder if this means I'm getting old enough that everyone looks like kids to me... 100% folk I would classify as kids were opening/closing doors (not necessarily same as being responsible for them in a safety critical sense)
It will've been quite quite young staff all through, but everyone on the doors will be over 18. The CEO of the company is only 22!
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
I wonder if this means I'm getting old enough that everyone looks like kids to me... 100% folk I would classify as kids were opening/closing doors (not necessarily same as being responsible for them in a safety critical sense)
So a 'kid' opened a door after the normal door release was done?
That makes it irrelevant what age the person was as anyone of any age can open or close a door. So your comments regards kids and doors is invalid .

As stated. People of a proper age were carrying out safety critical activities on the train with regards to door operations.
And I can clearly state those people doing the doors most certainly did lot look or appear to me under the age of 18.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
So a 'kid' opened a door after the normal door release was done?
That makes it irrelevant what age the person was as anyone of any age can open or close a door. So your comments regards kids and doors is invalid .

As stated. People of a proper age were carrying out safety critical activities on the train with regards to door operations.
And I can clearly state those people doing the doors most certainly did lot look or appear to me under the age of 18.

No it isn't invalid, because (at least up in my end) the doors were being opened before the passengers had to do it. That it's not "doing the doors" in the sense of being responsible for safety doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm saying - even on a railtour there's plenty of people who have never used slam door stock (or can't remember how to) so it's a useful service. At no point did I say anything about them being safety critical.

I've no idea about precise ages, I'm not great at that and am probably getting worse. The only ones on the train I'm absolutely certain were kids were one or two who were shorter and whose voices didn't seem to have broken and I'm not including them in the doors.

This is a fairly silly "argument".
 

50002Superb

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2021
Messages
2,123
Location
Nottingham
The children were doing well for being child volunteers. They are not though at the equivalent standard of catering staff at a TOC. This does not mean there is a problem with the kids and they shouldn't be being abused. The problem is a) with anyone abusing them* but also b) with whoever put them in that position. The tour should have been staffed properly for an at seat service or not offered one, and the kids could have concentrated on raffle tickets.

*who should have been chucked off if anything more than mild cantankerousness

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



The kids were (non exhaustive list - I can only speak for my coach in standard and I may have missed stuff) doing (and may have been assisted by staff too) the doors (by which I mean opening/closing slam doors not monitoring them as they had bars), the litter collection, the at seat service, general pass question answering, and raffle ticket selling. It was explained what this was in aid of but tbh I can't remember. I was told that the raffle results will be available "on facebook" although realised too late I didn't know what facebook he was talking about :lol: :lol: :lol:

Incidentally in the spirit of "kids let down by dumb adults putting them in silly positions" that's the first and last time I take a 1 year old on a railtour, sorry to anyone in Coach B who was disturbed by all the "Hiyas" etc...
It was the “money raised from the raffle is to be used for the children/teenagers.” that I was querying.

In some way it implies they were being paid for their work?
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
It was the “money raised from the raffle is to be used for the children/teenagers.” that I was querying.

In some way it implies they were being paid for their work?

I'm not 100% sure if they're being paid for their work (I think not but that's just a guess) but the raffle is going to some kind of cause which I feel bad I can't remember but let's say it's something like they're from the scouts and it's going to their scout group inferring from stuff in my emails and folk on board it's the Stockton and Darlington Youth Team - it's not going into their pockets.

The kids are under no circumstances responsible for this and should be proud of themselves - and I think that motive is part of what @800001 's posts are about tbh and I am in 100% agreement with him/her there, but it's not a reason to pretend "conditions"* were otherwise to what they are.

*And again, said "conditions" were in no way bad - it didn't meaningfully affect my mini-party at all other than tea being delivered without a stirring thing/milk - I'm just passing on what I observed and overheard.

Edit: Also on looking up what that group appears to be, it ends at 16 so the door guys were not the same people, they just looked like kids :lol: - so @800001 and I do have some crossed wires there. It's very unclear who was a very young member of staff(?) and who was in this group. They all looked the same. If there were "proper employees" and "child volunteers" both looking the same which is what this is starting to look like then that's even worse on the organisers tbh.

(All of my organiser critcism is meant in a constructive way btw. They are very green behind the ears aiui so this can be sorted quite quickly)
 
Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,648
Location
Hampshire
Any chance we can steer this back on topic please?

Anyway, it was great seeing the rake in Waverley earlier. Making a small change to the now usual ScotRail fleet!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3560.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 28

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,900
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
Any chance we can steer this back on topic please?

Anyway, it was great seeing the rake in Waverley earlier. Making a small change to the now usual ScotRail fleet!

Yah glad to - there was a piper welcome at Waverley as well, and who could say no to that?

Many photographers on all the route actually - I suspect there'd have been more along Weardale if it hadn't been for the 7am start. I wonder if anyone has any shots of the cows stopping the train?*

*I'm not 100% certain this is what happened but I infer it from a) train stopping or crawling, not 100% certain about where it happened either but I think 1/2 way between Frosterley and Wolsingham b) getting back up to speed with cows inside the boundary...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top