• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split Ticketing Notice of Intention to Prosecute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
I find that slightly odd. I have lost my ticket on 1 occasion. Still no idea how I did it (unless I missed my pocket putting it in). When the guard came round I immediately checked my pockets as I was sure it must be in one of them. Isn't this what anyone would do who really thought they had a ticket they couldn't find?

Yes it is but most have their ticket or know which pocket it is in.. The pocket dance is normally a ploy by those who dont have a ticket to delay time until the next station where they can get off the train knowing the guard wont follow them
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
There is a big difference between a gradually more panicked, desperate search, and a desultory patting of the pockets. In the first instance I'll usually ask "Where are you going?", then tell them I'll finish the carriage and come back. Once the pressure is off, they usually find it.

In the other case, they are searching their pockets hoping somebody else has snuck one in there while they were asleep. You can tell they are not going to find anything, as they are not really looking for anything.

If I do waken somebody from a genuine sleep (and trust me, I KNOW the difference), I just waken them, say "Sorry to disturb you, can I see your ticket please?" and then turn away and check a few more seats while they wake up and get their act together.

A relative is a Vicar, and he tells a story about one of his congregation falling asleep during a service. The chap's Mrs gives him a prod in the ribs, to which he responds not by opening his eyes, but by putting his hand into his pocket and pulling out his Season Ticket...
 
Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,757
Location
Yorkshire
There is a big difference between a gradually more panicked, desperate search, and a desultory patting of the pockets. In the first instance I'll usually ask "Where are you going?", then tell them I'll finish the carriage and come back. Once the pressure is off, they usually find it.

In the other case, they are searching their pockets hoping somebody else has snuck one in there while they were asleep. You can tell they are not going to find anything, as they are not really looking for anything.

If I do waken somebody from a genuine sleep (and trust me, I KNOW the difference), I just waken them, say "Sorry to disturb you, can I see your ticket please?" and then turn away and check a few more seats while they wake up and get their act together.

Ah - I was busy emptying all my pockets out as I knew I'd had one 15 minutes earlier and when the Guard had finished the carriage I apologised and asked if I could buy a replacement.

A relative is a Vicar, and he tells a story about one of his congregation falling asleep during a service. The chap's Mrs gives him a prod in the ribs, to which he responds not by opening his eyes, but by putting his hand into his pocket and pulling out his Season Ticket...

Thanks for that - I've amused a couple of colleagues with this story.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
There is a misprint in the book from which I copied the paragraph verbatim. Yes, that judgement was given in 1903.

Thank you for the clarification. In a more general sense, I'd also like to add my thanks for your continued knowledgeable contributions on case law to this and other threads.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A relative is a Vicar, and he tells a story about one of his congregation falling asleep during a service. The chap's Mrs gives him a prod in the ribs, to which he responds not by opening his eyes, but by putting his hand into his pocket and pulling out his Season Ticket...

There's only one answer to that:

:D​
 
Last edited:
Joined
14 Aug 2012
Messages
1,070
Location
Stratford
Why didn't you buy your St Albans-Luton Airport Parkway ticket the same time as you bought your first ticket?

Any station can sell a ticket to or from any destination. Alternatively you may wish to purchase on-line and collect them from the ticket vending machine. You can collect tickets from any TVM linked to the network (which is virtually all of them).

He bought the first ticket from a machine so it wasn't possible to purchase the second ticket at the same time
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
A relative is a Vicar, and he tells a story about one of his congregation falling asleep during a service. The chap's Mrs gives him a prod in the ribs, to which he responds not by opening his eyes, but by putting his hand into his pocket and pulling out his Season Ticket...

There's only one answer to that:

:D​

At some point in the future maybe:-

"I'm sorry sir but this ticket is not valid past Purley Gates............"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top