• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Someone pooped in my parsley...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polls

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2009
Messages
81
Location
West London
...by 'pooped in my Parsley' I mean someone revelled in telling me all of the downsides of being a train driver yesterday. For someone like me who has only just sent back the signed contract and is very VERY excited about the opportunity I have been given I realised there are some drivers out there that seem very bitter about thier jobs.

To elaborate - I was being told it is a dead end because you reach the peak straight away and cant go any further up the ladder. Money does not increase and fatalities on the line are very frequent without much support. :(

I have taken all of these comments with a pinch of salt because I am very excited at the prospect of my day to day driving trains and if I need extra money I will just have to knuckle down and do some extra shifts. However I would be interested to hear some honest opinions of your experiences working on the trains or driving them. Surely it cant be all that bad? :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Working in the railway is what YOU make of it. The best advice i've ever been given is don't listen to bothy(messroom) lawyers. There are many of them about and you could easily find yourself low on morale before you even get settled by listening to them. The nature of some jobs in the railway can lead to repetition, not necessarily a bad thing for some but it is something I would watch out for. I'm sure you'll love it anyway, don't let anyone dampen your enthusiasm!
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
Working in the railway is what YOU make of it. The best advice i've ever been given is don't listen to bothy(messroom) lawyers. There are many of them about and you could easily find yourself low on morale before you even get settled by listening to them. The nature of some jobs in the railway can lead to repetition, not necessarily a bad thing for some but it is something I would watch out for. I'm sure you'll love it anyway, don't let anyone dampen your enthusiasm!


As Carter has said, the same applies with any job, personally I think working on the railways is a very good job with brilliant promotional offers, it's not a dead end job, quite the opposite really!
 

Polls

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2009
Messages
81
Location
West London
This is what I think too. I'm glad the first 2 posts have been positive. I think I just got talkign to Mr Grumpy who hates the world.....I am not naive enough to think that everyday is going to be a jolly skip through the roses but I know I will be grateful for the opprtunity to be doing the job and not stuck behinda desk in a grey office day in day out.
 

NSEFAN

Established Member
Joined
17 Jun 2007
Messages
3,518
Location
Southampton
No matter where you work, there's always at least one miserable sod. Best not listen to them. Enjoy your job! :)
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
Yes - everywhere has them (even where I work - at home, and I work alone :(). There is always someone whose sole purpose in life seems to be to knock everyone else down. But everything in life has fun in it somewhere. Enjoy!
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
...by 'pooped in my Parsley' I mean someone revelled in telling me all of the downsides of being a train driver yesterday. For someone like me who has only just sent back the signed contract and is very VERY excited about the opportunity I have been given I realised there are some drivers out there that seem very bitter about thier jobs.

To elaborate - I was being told it is a dead end because you reach the peak straight away and cant go any further up the ladder. Money does not increase and fatalities on the line are very frequent without much support. :(

I have taken all of these comments with a pinch of salt because I am very excited at the prospect of my day to day driving trains and if I need extra money I will just have to knuckle down and do some extra shifts.

I'm not a train driver but your going to get my opinion anyway. :p

It's in people interest to pull the 'woe is me' routine, everybody does it, from the guy in the Chicken factory to the Millionaire banker, everyone moans about their lot.

Yes, maybe train driving is a 'dead end job' to an extent, but there will be future opportunities to move into instructor driver and driver manager roles, though not for a good few years. Personally, I don't see what the issue is with the lack progression. There are many people who will progress through many roles in their life but will never earn more then £35,000 per year, and it'll take them 15 or even 20 years to get to that position. Many people where I live will never have a £30,000 per year salary in their life time. Isn't the mode income in the UK £24,000 per year? I know salaries and living costs are much higher in London, but for a job that doesn't require many qualifications and only works a four day week, imo, the pay is more then generous enough to make up for the lack of career progression.

If the money isn't good enough by London standards, after so many years you could consider moving to another TOC in a different part of the country, for example you could join East Coast in Newcastle or CrossCountry in Birmingham, not only would you be better paid but your money would also go much further then it does London.

Just remember how lucky you are and your Parsley will always taste great, no matter how many people poop on it. :lol:
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
It's the same in every industry so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Everybody moans about their job at some stage, it's certainly not a railway thing :D
 

Polls

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2009
Messages
81
Location
West London
Just remember how lucky you are and your Parsley will always taste great, no matter how many people poop on it. :lol:

hehe, yes I agree with you all. I wouldn't mind if I do the same job till retirement. At least I know it is the kind of job that will be safe till retirement! I think the pay is fantastic and have just found out I will be earning slightly more than my brother and he is New Music Editor for MTV! This makes me happy considering the grief he gets from artists managers every day.

I think when people complain about a job like this it is because they have not experienced anything else. I myself have been struggling from one sales role to another for 10 years and therefore consider this opportunity a god send.

So I am going to wash my Parsley clean and grow a fresh new batch and cover it with invisable love and positivity from you guys. I certainly know where to go if I have a bad day at work in the future. You guys are great :D
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
One question, if you used to work for EMT say as a driver, if you go to SN, would you have to learn all over again? (If that makes sense)
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Many would say my job is pretty good, working on my own, same hours everyday, ten minutes from home, with b****r all to do and plenty of prospects for a better role. But I would trade that to be driving again in a heart beat.

Fatalities do happen, but the number of drivers who have to deal with it is relatively low thankfully. You get real characters in the job and some right a***s, but imo, it is the best job on the railway.

Just remember, it is the hardest job to get and the easiest to lose!

One question, if you used to work for EMT say as a driver, if you go to SN, would you have to learn all over again? (If that makes sense)

It is upto the TOC and the situation, I know of a qualified driver that was given a full course (full rules, traction, but given just four weeks for train handling and route knowledge (compared with a trainee's minimum 16 weeks/225 hours)), but in his case he hadn't driven a train for a while. In any case the driver will need training for routes, traction and any rules that were not needed at the previous TOC.
 

Polls

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2009
Messages
81
Location
West London
Just remember, it is the hardest job to get and the easiest to lose!

This is also what I hear. I know about how hard it is to get the job, for sure! What are the main faults for drivers losing a job, though? I would imagine it would have to quite serious, like going through a red light? However I watched an episode of the Tube the other day where this lady train driver went through a red light (Another woman driver making the rest of us look like useless idiots :| ) and she was saying 'oh, this is just part of the job, it happens all the time'. I was shocked at her attitude and then later on found out in the program it was her THIRD time! I know people make mistakes, but I just thought, 'Wake up love!'.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Another woman driver making the rest of us look like useless idiots
Men have SPADS as well, that is just sexist.

Yes, I have seen that episode and I too was shocked at her attitude!
 

Polls

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2009
Messages
81
Location
West London
Men have SPADS as well, that is just sexist.

Yes, I have seen that episode and I too was shocked at her attitude!

Oh I know but its allowed if I am a woman too, right? I am just venting from many years of driving impeccably on the roads only to be dissappointed at seeing some women driving like lunatics and perpetuating the myth that we are all bad drivers :roll:. Just a pet hate I guess. Sorry if I offended.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
We all have pet hates ;)

However I do agree with you on that LU driver. Not fit to hold her job.
 

Polls

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2009
Messages
81
Location
West London
We all have pet hates ;)

However I do agree with you on that LU driver. Not fit to hold her job.

My other pet hate is people who open a window on the bus when it is freezing cold outside or raining. SO RUDE!....but thats a different subject :lol:

I was surprised she just got a warning....wonder if she still has a job now?
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
I doubt it with that attitude. My other annoyance was when she kept interrupting the DTM when he was trying to talk to her!
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Oh I know but its allowed if I am a woman too, right? I am just venting from many years of driving impeccably on the roads only to be dissappointed at seeing some women driving like lunatics and perpetuating the myth that we are all bad drivers :roll:. Just a pet hate I guess. Sorry if I offended.

You'll like this one then;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19317206@N08/3890555360/

Not only is it a woman driver, but one in a BMW too :D:lol:
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I for the love of all thats Holy!! At lease she is neatly on the line, though :lol:

I couldn't quite believe what I saw whilst waiting to turn at the junction. She pulled up, reversed in like that, got out and walked away.
To add to that, the road is very narrow, and always has parked cars the whole way along that section, meaning it's essentially a single lane It can be a bit of a pain if you get two lines of cars that meet head on, although you get some rather interesting manoeuvres too.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
This is also what I hear. I know about how hard it is to get the job, for sure! What are the main faults for drivers losing a job, though? I would imagine it would have to quite serious, like going through a red light? ....

Well, there is quite a lot you can do wrong and if you keep getting things wrong you will be out before to long (the more severe the quicker it will happen), but basically anything H&S will probably give you a hard time, especially if you do it while training. If there is one thing Driver Managers hate more than driving, it's paperwork!

Network Rail can also suggest you are removed from driving duties on the mainline, based on a points system and if you are constantly in that region you'd be in trouble I reckon. From what I recall being told, the upper limit is around 25-30 points, but just missing a booked station call could be 4 points (I know from experience). I don't recall how long the points stay for, but it is a while. Other things that can get you points are SPADs (obviously), station over-runs (stopping but too late), speeding, opening doors on the wrong side (where applicable), taking the wrong route, etc, etc.

You will hear stories when you're training no doubt, some will be embellished a little.
 

royaloak

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2009
Messages
1,389
Location
today I will mostly be at home decorating
You will hear stories when you're training no doubt, some will be embellished a little.
Oh yeah just a little bit :lol:

Polls the easiest way of looking at this is if the person hates it so much why are they still doing it. I was once told "if you cant get into the job then get out of the job, but if you can't get out of the job then you had better get into the job", I have kept this in mind all my working life and it is bloody good advice.
There are 1000s of people after this job that never get the chance, so be thankful, careful and just enjoy it. The training is a nightmare but once that is done it is fantastic, just concentrate and be careful. The old adage "you get out of it what you put into it" has never been more true, I thoroughly enjoy my job, it is by far the best one I have had (and they pay me loads as well :D), go to work, do the best you can, enjoy your work and stuff all the moaning gits, most of them wouldn't last 5 minutes outside the railway!

Signed a very happy train driver that knows what it is like to have to work for a living and get paid crap wages for doing it.

oh and that BMW hasn't been parked, it has been abandoned!
 
Last edited:

Polls

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2009
Messages
81
Location
West London
Royal Oak, and Hairy Handed Fool, I thank you for your insight. In a way I am quite pleased they are so vigilant and strict on mistakes, because operating a train is a big responsibility with lots of peoples safty put in your hands....but it also scares me as a newbie, not wanting to make any mistakes and knowing that there are so many big ones that I can make!

Have you two clocked up any points or are you my train driving heros?
 

royaloak

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2009
Messages
1,389
Location
today I will mostly be at home decorating
I havent been driving long and my company doesnt do points, had a couple of ooops moments usually when the train picks up coming into a station, but nothing serious.
As long as you concentrate, think and dont be silly then it should be fine, if it all goes wrong as long as you do the correct things then it isnt much of a problem either, its when it goes wrong AND you do the wrong things OR dont do the right things you get in trouble.
 

chuffchuff

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2009
Messages
110
Got to have members of the GLEE Club :D
At least you've found out about the down side of the job
so the good side will be better.
Best of luck and enjoy it, cos it is fun
 

Polls

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2009
Messages
81
Location
West London
Yay lets start a railway GLEE club. That would make me so happy! I cant dance but I got a good pair of lungs on me. Where can we hold auditions? :lol:

....so basically as long as I pay attention in training and apply vigilance and common sense to my driving I should be fine. Even though it is pressured I am still excited :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top