• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Social media platforms used by transport operators

Status
Not open for further replies.

riceuten

Member
Joined
23 May 2018
Messages
954
What are you saying here exactly? Staff at a TOC will not be able to answer queries relating to Realtime Trains or Open Train Times, nor would they use these systems to answer questions as they are nothing to do with the Operators.
What I am saying here is that ‘staff’ not employed directly by the TOC would perhaps be familiar with the routes covered or the prevailing weather conditions - not always immediately obvious when you’re located in Manila or Capetown.

I’ve known PLENTY of TOC staff use RTT in the absence of other information.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
What I am saying here is that ‘staff’ not employed directly by the TOC would perhaps be familiar with the routes covered or the prevailing weather conditions - not always immediately obvious when you’re located in Manila or Capetown.

I’ve known PLENTY of TOC staff use RTT in the absence of other information.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Realtime Trains is routinely used in all parts of the industry.

By TOC staff that don't have access to TOPS, Trust and other systems yes, not usually information controllers. Staff putting out official communications should usually be taking information from internal industry systems.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,938
Location
UK
GTR has its social media team in house at the rail operating centre, so I would assume they're using industry tools over third-party ones, although at many stations I've been to I often see Open Train Times maps on the computer screens near the gatelines.
 

Vexed

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2020
Messages
666
Location
Herts / Hants
GTR has its social media team in house at the rail operating centre, so I would assume they're using industry tools over third-party ones, although at many stations I've been to I often see Open Train Times maps on the computer screens near the gatelines.
They've posted Traksy screenshots before on X to show where the line is blocked.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,563
Location
LBK
What I am saying here is that ‘staff’ not employed directly by the TOC would perhaps be familiar with the routes covered or the prevailing weather conditions - not always immediately obvious when you’re located in Manila or Capetown.
Which railway social media teams are based overseas?
 
Joined
31 Dec 2019
Messages
995
Location
uk
They've posted Traksy screenshots before on X to show where the line is blocked.
That is almost certainly because it is easier and more secure to post a screenshot of a public website as opposed to an internal industry system.
 

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
Which railway social media teams are based overseas?
None of them. He might be referring to NRE who are in Mumbai in India but they only answer phone calls and help points and have nothing to do with social media. The only thing that came close to overseas was when GTR previously had their Twitter operated by Teleperformance in Northern Ireland but that was years ago. It has been fully in house at TBD ROC for almost eight years now.
 

Brent Goose

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2025
Messages
143
Location
Hampshire
I'll never have a Twitter/X account. Previously due to apathy, now reinforced by being unwilling to contribute a single penny to anything associated with Elon Musk. As you need an account to fully see the train of some threads on the site, this puts me at a dsiadvantage in dealing with companies who choose to use it as their main means of disseminating information. Private companies, guess thats up to them, I can vote with my feet I suppose. Publicly funded companies (which includes all TOCs these days?), not so much. If Twitter/X is one of their channels, fair enough, again, you can choose not to use it. If it’s the primary channel then thats totally unacceptable imo.

Indeed, directing people to a website that needs one to be a registered user and logged in before anything remotely relevant can be seen isn’t really acceptable IMHO and that is before the problematic nature of that site is taken into consideration.

The Highways Agency seems to be another culprit
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top