DeeGee
Member
Now, here's an interesting one. My boy has expressed a wish to travel in a sleeper. He's seven, but he's been bitten by a bit of a travel bug.
I've been having a quick look at the Caledonian and Riviera, and those will be fine. However, we live in Grimsby, so there's the whole additional effort of getting to London.
In pure London to somewhere terms the Caledonian is a better idea for us as the departure time is earlier, it's not too late after his normal bedtime. The Riviera would require a serious effort staying up to get it.
First question, then, is what's the cheapest way to get the Caledonian from London to Inverness, for instance. I wouldn't want to get it from Crewe, as it's too late for the boy.
Then I got thinking. If I'm going to have to go down to London, adding three hours or so to the journey, I could get to Amsterdam more quickly, and I know there used to be sleepers from Amsterdam eastwards. My plan is maybe to fly out in the late afternoon, overnight train, spend a day at destination, then overnight train back, so it'll be over three days.
Are there any such trains still running? Which offers me the best value, and a decent destination for a busy day?
I've been having a quick look at the Caledonian and Riviera, and those will be fine. However, we live in Grimsby, so there's the whole additional effort of getting to London.
In pure London to somewhere terms the Caledonian is a better idea for us as the departure time is earlier, it's not too late after his normal bedtime. The Riviera would require a serious effort staying up to get it.
First question, then, is what's the cheapest way to get the Caledonian from London to Inverness, for instance. I wouldn't want to get it from Crewe, as it's too late for the boy.
Then I got thinking. If I'm going to have to go down to London, adding three hours or so to the journey, I could get to Amsterdam more quickly, and I know there used to be sleepers from Amsterdam eastwards. My plan is maybe to fly out in the late afternoon, overnight train, spend a day at destination, then overnight train back, so it'll be over three days.
Are there any such trains still running? Which offers me the best value, and a decent destination for a busy day?