• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter role - WMR

MrWestern

New Member
Joined
4 Sep 2025
Messages
3
Location
Shrewsbury
Hi everyone,

I've got an interview on Wednesday for a shunters position with West Midlands Railway and was wondering if anyone who has been through the process, or currently works in the role, could offer any advice.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about:
  • What the interview was like and the types of questions you were asked.
  • Whether there are any competency or safety-based questions I should expect. (Am aware I need to highlight as safety as a main focus!)
  • What qualities WMR seem to be looking for in successful candidates.
  • Any tips on how best to prepare over the next couple of days.
For a bit of background, I used to work on frontline at London Waterloo as gateline before moving up to Shrewsbury. However, this would be my first shunting role, so I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone with experience of the job or WMR's recruitment process.

Thanks in advance for any advice or experiences you're willing to share. I'll update the thread after the interview in case it helps future applicants.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums


Top