• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shreds European Trips, Volume 2.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Ireland (Day 3). Sunday 2nd August 2026.

I decided to spend 8 days in Ireland, mainly line bashing as there was still a few lines I hadn’t completed. I travelled on a number of lines on the ITG Rail tours back in the 1990s, some lines that have sadly since closed. I visited the country last year for 3 days and travelled over to Clifden and Galway and also completed all the Luas tram network. Over this recent visit I completed all the lines in Ireland including ones I had travelled on previously. I also managed to visit a few of the preserved railways, including the Lartigue Monorail Museum, which has been on my bucket list for some time. I was using a one country Irish Interrail ticket and the stats for the week were 3,824 kilometres on 44 trains, spending 2 days and 6 hours cumulatively on trains. It was a great trip, but like most countries, so many lines have been closed over the years and the knock-on effect is still evident in many rural areas, while two of the lines I travelled on, only had two trains a day operating.

Sunday mornings are a little slow in Ireland and I was waiting for Connolly Street station to open from 06.00, it opened at 07.00, but I was in good company while I waited, I talk to anyone. I was heading south again, but this time to Rosslare. My train departed at 10.25, which was the first one out to Rosslare. It was new track for me beyond Bray also. It was a pleasant ride down the coast and was in the company of some lovely Brazilian young ladies, who insisted that I should eat some of their grapes, I met a few people from south America in Ireland including a Chilean and an Argentinian.

My train passed through Wexford, which looked like a nice place to visit, it then creeps at street level through the town and onto Rosslare Strand and then to the end of the line at Rosslare (Harbour), Europort arriving at 13.25, so a 3-hour journey. Although there is not much there in railway interests these days, the turntable at the end of the line is still in situ and I believe has been used for rail tours in the past. The only other point of interest for me, was the single tracked line, leading off to the west, presumably this would have been the long-closed line to Waterford, such a shame the line no longer exists, passengers wishing to continue in that direction now have to travel by bus.

I returned to Dublin on the same train, which departed at 14.05 and arrived back into Dublin Connolly for 17.04. I then wanted to do the branch to M3 Parkway, which was new track for me from Clonsilla, and has a spare platform for the service. I left Dublin Connolly at 17.47 arriving into Clonsilla for 18.13 and a quick platform change for the 18.18 to M3 Parkway arriving at 18.30.
M3 Parkway is a park and ride station opened in 2010, the line which ran from Clonsilla to Navan closed in 1963, but has now been reopened in phases, the next section to reopen will be the M3 Parkway back to Navan section, but it is not due to open until 2030 to 2035, so is part of a longer-term plan. I returned to Dublin Connolly on the same train via Clonsilla, the service normally runs into Docklands, except Sundays, when the Docklands line is close.

From Dublin Connolly I caught a Luas tram across the city to Dublin Heuston and spent the rest of the evening around the station photting. I later spent another night around Dublin, the hotel accommodation was ridiculous high priced and I didn’t fancy a night in a hostel, and even some of them were charging nearly £40 a night. I had however managed to secure accommodation for 4 nights from the Monday, which was in decent student accommodation behind the Guinness factory for less than £200, so I could survive another night roughing it and it was all good fun anyway, another great day out on the rails.

 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Ireland (Day 4). Monday 3rd August 2026.

I decided to spend 8 days in Ireland, mainly line bashing as there was still a few lines I hadn’t completed. I travelled on a number of lines on the ITG Rail tours back in the 1990s, some lines that have sadly since closed. I visited the country last year for 3 days and travelled over to Clifden and Galway and also completed all the Luas tram network. Over this recent visit I completed all the lines in Ireland including ones I had travelled on previously. I also managed to visit a few of the preserved railways, including the Lartigue Monorail Museum, which has been on my bucket list for some time. I was using a one country Irish Interrail ticket and the stats for the week were 3,824 kilometres on 44 trains, spending 2 days and 6 hours cumulatively on trains. It was a great trip, but like most countries, so many lines have been closed over the years and the knock-on effect is still evident in many rural areas, while two of the lines I travelled on, only had two trains a day operating.

I was back in front of Dublin Heuston railway station waiting for the doors to open for 05.00, but they didn’t open until 06.00, I had forgotten it was a bank holiday in Ireland and they move much slower over there. However, once inside the station it was breakfast in one of the station cafes and I was soon boarding the 07.35 to Galway, arriving for 10.12. Nice to see Galway station renovation all but completed since I visited last year. I was on a tight schedule though and needed to change for the 10.25 to Limerick via Ennis, which was new track for me. We arrived into Limerick at 12.22. It was nice to see Limerick still has a traction maintenance depot; in fact, the original steam locomotive depot is still in use. The station building is dated and has a very dark interior, it is however due to be refurbished, so I’m pleased I managed a few photographs before it changes.

I next boarded a train up to Limerick Junction at 12.55, arriving by 13.23, again this section was also new track for me. The old steam depot is still standing and the yard is now in use as a civil engineering depot, I was fortunate in that GM Class 071, the first of the class in CIE orange and black livery, was in the yard, along with another locomotive parked at the back of the depot, number 079 in the grey livery.

I departed from Limerick Junction on the 14.21 to Dublin Heuston, arriving at 15.59, so an earlier finish for me as I had my accommodation booked, my first bed in 4 nights. I was staying in student accommodation for the next 4 nights and at just under £200, which at Dublin prices was the cheapest I could find. The complex was only a 10 minutes’ walk from Heuston station, so the location was good also. I was soon in my room, showered and in bed, the bed was comfy and no sooner had my head hit the pillow than I was out for the world and slept right through until 04.00 next morning, which gave me around 10 hours sleep, as I had an early start the next morning.

 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Ireland (Day 5). Tuesday 4th August 2026.

I decided to spend 8 days in Ireland, mainly line bashing as there was still a few lines I hadn’t completed. I travelled on a number of lines on the ITG Rail tours back in the 1990s, some lines that have sadly since closed. I visited the country last year for 3 days and travelled over to Clifden and Galway and also completed all the Luas tram network. Over this recent visit I completed all the lines in Ireland including ones I had travelled on previously. I also managed to visit a few of the preserved railways, including the Lartigue Monorail Museum, which has been on my bucket list for some time. I was using a one country Irish Interrail ticket and the stats for the week were 3,824 kilometres on 44 trains, spending 2 days and 6 hours cumulatively on trains. It was a great trip, but like most countries, so many lines have been closed over the years and the knock-on effect is still evident in many rural areas, while two of the lines I travelled on, only had two trains a day operating.

After a great night’s sleep at the Binary Hub Aparto, the student accommodation, I was soon up and out ready for the 05.45 from Dublin Heuston to Athlone. I was heading for the Billina line, which was new track for me from the junction station at Manulla, but trains were not as frequent, the Manulla to Ballina line operates on a shuttle DMU service.
I arrived into Athlone at 07.21, but my train to Manulla Junction wasn’t until 09.15 so I took a walk around Athlone and had breakfast in a local café. On returning to Athlone railway station, I caught the 09.15 to Manulla Junction for 10.36 with a quick change to Ballina at 10.39, the train was already on the platform and arrived into Ballina at 11.06.

The tracks continue beyond the station at Ballina over a level crossing which looks rarely used, however, there is a line of flat trucks beyond the crossing, but I was unable to see how far the line continued beyond that. The passenger line did originally run from Ballina to Killala at one time, but closed in 1934.

I returned from Ballina on the same train which departed at 13.00 and arriving at Manulla Junction for 13.27, a few minutes wait for the next train at 13.29 and I caught this train as far as Castlerea and arrived into the town at 14.11. I was essentially heading to Westport, but didn’t fancy a long wait at Manulla Junction as there is nothing there, so I caught a train back in the Dublin direction and then waited for the Westport train from Castlerea, I arrived at 14.11 and departed at 14.52, so that gave me chance to get something to eat from the local Spar shop opposite the station.

I left Castlerea at 14.52 and arrived into Westport for 15.59. I had visited Westport in the 1990s on an ITG rail tour and I must admit it hadn’t changed much from memory, although platform 2 was now out of use for passenger traffic and the footbridge sealed. As I arrived, I was lucky in that another GM class 071 in grey livery was just about to leave on the closed platform, it was in front of a log train, number 079. The old steam locomotive depot still survives though just beyond the station.

The lines beyond Westport continued on the Westport Newport line to Achill, but this closed in 1937. A Greenway has been created beyond Westport railway station, but I only had time to follow it for a short distance. My train left Westport at 18.30 and I arrived back into Dublin Heuston for 21.48, it had been another great day.

 

Rab Smith

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2021
Messages
300
Location
Cardiff
Ireland (Day 5). Tuesday 4th August 2026.

I decided to spend 8 days in Ireland, mainly line bashing as there was still a few lines I hadn’t completed. I travelled on a number of lines on the ITG Rail tours back in the 1990s, some lines that have sadly since closed. I visited the country last year for 3 days and travelled over to Clifden and Galway and also completed all the Luas tram network. Over this recent visit I completed all the lines in Ireland including ones I had travelled on previously. I also managed to visit a few of the preserved railways, including the Lartigue Monorail Museum, which has been on my bucket list for some time. I was using a one country Irish Interrail ticket and the stats for the week were 3,824 kilometres on 44 trains, spending 2 days and 6 hours cumulatively on trains. It was a great trip, but like most countries, so many lines have been closed over the years and the knock-on effect is still evident in many rural areas, while two of the lines I travelled on, only had two trains a day operating.

After a great night’s sleep at the Binary Hub Aparto, the student accommodation, I was soon up and out ready for the 05.45 from Dublin Heuston to Athlone. I was heading for the Billina line, which was new track for me from the junction station at Manulla, but trains were not as frequent, the Manulla to Ballina line operates on a shuttle DMU service.
I arrived into Athlone at 07.21, but my train to Manulla Junction wasn’t until 09.15 so I took a walk around Athlone and had breakfast in a local café. On returning to Athlone railway station, I caught the 09.15 to Manulla Junction for 10.36 with a quick change to Ballina at 10.39, the train was already on the platform and arrived into Ballina at 11.06.

The tracks continue beyond the station at Ballina over a level crossing which looks rarely used, however, there is a line of flat trucks beyond the crossing, but I was unable to see how far the line continued beyond that. The passenger line did originally run from Ballina to Killala at one time, but closed in 1934.

I returned from Ballina on the same train which departed at 13.00 and arriving at Manulla Junction for 13.27, a few minutes wait for the next train at 13.29 and I caught this train as far as Castlerea and arrived into the town at 14.11. I was essentially heading to Westport, but didn’t fancy a long wait at Manulla Junction as there is nothing there, so I caught a train back in the Dublin direction and then waited for the Westport train from Castlerea, I arrived at 14.11 and departed at 14.52, so that gave me chance to get something to eat from the local Spar shop opposite the station.

I left Castlerea at 14.52 and arrived into Westport for 15.59. I had visited Westport in the 1990s on an ITG rail tour and I must admit it hadn’t changed much from memory, although platform 2 was now out of use for passenger traffic and the footbridge sealed. As I arrived, I was lucky in that another GM class 071 in grey livery was just about to leave on the closed platform, it was in front of a log train, number 079. The old steam locomotive depot still survives though just beyond the station.

The lines beyond Westport continued on the Westport Newport line to Achill, but this closed in 1937. A Greenway has been created beyond Westport railway station, but I only had time to follow it for a short distance. My train left Westport at 18.30 and I arrived back into Dublin Heuston for 21.48, it had been another great day.

I recently did a trip similar to this starting in Maynooth, I caught the early Sunday morning train to Sligo. From there it was an hour and a bits hop to Ballina on the 458 and a welcome short fester in Ballina before making the trip down to Manulla on the 2 car dmu shuttle. This got into Ballina to meet the Westport-Dublin train but as it was only a half hour wait for the Westport train, I decided to wait for it at Manulla. Little did I know that not only is there no facilities at this wild West Station, you can't even leave it for a wander without a tresspass on the railway!

The journey down to Westport is very pretty. I had around an hour before my last train back to Dublin so went for a quick wander down the town which is around a 15 minute walk from the Station. A quick visit to Tesco (a little more convenient for the Station) had me stocked up for the return to Dublin. It is a lovely journey from West to East but I was surprised how busy the train got with the students returning to their halls of residence. I bailed out at Hazelhatch to catch a bus back to Maynooth where I was staying.
A lovely day out!
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
I recently did a trip similar to this starting in Maynooth, I caught the early Sunday morning train to Sligo. From there it was an hour and a bits hop to Ballina on the 458 and a welcome short fester in Ballina before making the trip down to Manulla on the 2 car dmu shuttle. This got into Ballina to meet the Westport-Dublin train but as it was only a half hour wait for the Westport train, I decided to wait for it at Manulla. Little did I know that not only is there no facilities at this wild West Station, you can't even leave it for a wander without a tresspass on the railway!

The journey down to Westport is very pretty. I had around an hour before my last train back to Dublin so went for a quick wander down the town which is around a 15 minute walk from the Station. A quick visit to Tesco (a little more convenient for the Station) had me stocked up for the return to Dublin. It is a lovely journey from West to East but I was surprised how busy the train got with the students returning to their halls of residence. I bailed out at Hazelhatch to catch a bus back to Maynooth where I was staying.
A lovely day out!
Thanks very much for nice, yes a nice region, I didnt know you couldnt leave Manulla station, glad I didnt choose to wait there now.
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Ireland (Day 6). Wednesday 5th August 2026.

I decided to spend 8 days in Ireland, mainly line bashing as there was still a few lines I hadn’t completed. I travelled on a number of lines on the ITG Rail tours back in the 1990s, some lines that have sadly since closed. I visited the country last year for 3 days and travelled over to Clifden and Galway and also completed all the Luas tram network. Over this recent visit I completed all the lines in Ireland including ones I had travelled on previously. I also managed to visit a few of the preserved railways, including the Lartigue Monorail Museum, which has been on my bucket list for some time. I was using a one country Irish Interrail ticket and the stats for the week were 3,824 kilometres on 44 trains, spending 2 days and 6 hours cumulatively on trains. It was a great trip, but like most countries, so many lines have been closed over the years and the knock-on effect is still evident in many rural areas, while two of the lines I travelled on, only had two trains a day operating.

The alarm was set for 06.00 and I left the Binary Hub Aparto, the student accommodation just after 06.30 and took breakfast in Dublin Heuston railway station and settled for a Supermac, the Irish equivalent of McDonalds, cheap and nasty, but it filled a gap. I was heading for Waterford on the 07.20 and I arrived into Waterford for 09.45. It is a line I travelled on in the 1990s on a ITG rail tour, but still nice to see the station again and it is due to be rebuilt slightly nearer the city centre. The classic overhead signal box will be renovated, and a new bridge is being built across the River Suir to facilitate the new railway station.

I made my way to the bus station as I wanted to visit the Waterford and Suir Valley Railway, a preserved railway operating on a section of the old Waterford to Cork track bed. The bus cost 6 Euros and the ride was only around 12 kilometres. The bus dropped me off at a cross roads and I then had a 20 minutes’ walk along dual carriage ways with no footpaths, until I eventually got to the railways operating centre at Kilmeaden.

The railway is a 3ft gauge operated by small industrial diesel shunting locomotives. The views along the River Suir are excellent and a cycle track follows the railway for much of the way, I was however disappointed in that the railway, for some reason, don’t run trains to the end of the line at Bilberry midweek, only at weekends, so I didn’t get the opportunity to travel the full length of the line, it would also be far better for visitors to be able to join the train at Bilberry which is much closer to Waterford and would be easier to access. A bus does stop outside the railway at Kilmeaden station, but it is infrequent, so I had to return to catch my bus back into Waterford, by the same route, taking my chances walking along a busy dual carriageway with no pavements.

I spent a little time exploring Waterford centre before making my way back to the railway station for my next train. I was catching the 16.25, one of two trains that travelled the line on a daily basis, the first train being in the morning. The route was to Limerick Junction, the direct line via Carrick on Suir and Tipperary. I also travelled on this line in the 1990s on an ITG rail tour, the ITG have the former goods warehouse at Carrick and store a number of preserved locomotives there, as I passed through the station, I noted a locomotive and shunter in the yard sealed in vandal proof casings, so I couldn’t identify them.

My train arrived into Limerick Junction at 18.08 and I travelled back to Dublin Heuston on the 18.22, arriving back into Dublin at 20.03. I was soon back in my accommodation after another satisfying day on the rails.

 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Ireland (Day 7). Thursday 6th August 2026.

I decided to spend 8 days in Ireland, mainly line bashing as there was still a few lines I hadn’t completed. I travelled on a number of lines on the ITG Rail tours back in the 1990s, some lines that have sadly since closed. I visited the country last year for 3 days and travelled over to Clifden and Galway and also completed all the Luas tram network. Over this recent visit I completed all the lines in Ireland including ones I had travelled on previously. I also managed to visit a few of the preserved railways, including the Lartigue Monorail Museum, which has been on my bucket list for some time. I was using a one country Irish Interrail ticket and the stats for the week were 3,824 kilometres on 44 trains, spending 2 days and 6 hours cumulatively on trains. It was a great trip, but like most countries, so many lines have been closed over the years and the knock-on effect is still evident in many rural areas, while two of the lines I travelled on, only had two trains a day operating.

My plan was to travel on the two train a day line that runs between Limerick and Ballybrothy, it was a late afternoon train at 17.10, so I was in no real rush to get down there. I boarded the 08.00 down to Limerick Junction from Dublin Heuston and arrived at 09.35 and spent some time on the station. The celebrity liveried GM class 071 was still attached to the engineering train in the yard and I went over to see the GM machine hidden behind the old depot; this was attached at the other end of the engineering train, this was grey liveried 083. Ready for departure was the train for Waterford, again only on two trains a day line, this being the morning service returning. It’s an interesting arrangement at Limerick Junction in that trains coming from the Waterford direction have to cross the main line on a crossover junction and travel beyond the junction down the Limerick lines, they then have to reverse to access Limerick Junction station. I have tried to show this operation in photographs of the Waterford train leaving and crossing the main line.

I left Limerick Junction on the 10.41, arriving into Limerick for 11.08. I walked out to the locomotive depot and had a chat with the shed foreman, a very pleasant lad, but because of health and safety he couldn’t show me around, there were only about 3 DMUs on the depot, but my main interest was photographing the old steam depot, but it wasn’t to be. I then went for a wonder around the city and down to the river. Limerick is a pleasant enough place to spend an afternoon and I also managed to get something to eat in one of the cafes on the water front. I returned to the station and then caught the 13.50 back up to Limerick Junction, arriving at 14.19 and returning on the 14.37 which saw me back in Limerick for 15.04 and enabled me to phot a few more class 201s working on the Dublin to Cork line and also helped me kill a little time.

The line between Limerick and Limerick junction takes just under 30 minutes to travel, it no longer has any intermediate stations on the line, but once had no less than five intermediate stations, these were Killonan on the junction for the Galway lines, Boher, Dromkeen, Pallas and Oola, I noticed at least two of these still standing and in use as private residencies.

I was waiting for my train at 17.10 from Limerick, the second of the day up to Ballybrophy via the Nenagh line. A line of some 52.5 miles with intermediate stations at Castleconnell, Birdhill, Nenagh, Cloughjordan and Roscrea and I was surprised that some of the towns en route appeared quite large and with industry of sorts. I spoke to the guard on the train and he told me they were hoping to invest in the line and possibly double it again and maybe see some freight services, only time will tell I suppose. It was a pleasant enough ride up the line though and as we terminated, on its own platform, at Ballybrophy arriving for 18.55 so it had taken 1 hour and 45 minutes to travel the line, and the train back up to Dublin Heuston wasn’t far behind at 18.58 and arriving back into Dublin for 20.03. Another satisfying and more chilled out day this time, but I had another early start the following day, so after something to eat it was a shower and early to bed.

 
Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Ireland (Day 8). Friday 7th August 2026.

I decided to spend 8 days in Ireland, mainly line bashing as there was still a few lines I hadn’t completed. I travelled on a number of lines on the ITG Rail tours back in the 1990s, some lines that have sadly since closed. I visited the country last year for 3 days and travelled over to Clifden and Galway and also completed all the Luas tram network. Over this recent visit I completed all the lines in Ireland including ones I had travelled on previously. I also managed to visit a few of the preserved railways, including the Lartigue Monorail Museum, which has been on my bucket list for some time. I was using a one country Irish Interrail ticket and the stats for the week were 3,824 kilometres on 44 trains, spending 2 days and 6 hours cumulatively on trains. It was a great trip, but like most countries, so many lines have been closed over the years and the knock-on effect is still evident in many rural areas, while two of the lines I travelled on, only had two trains a day operating.

I packed up at my student accommodation having spend my last night there, it had been good value for Dublin. I was now however heading back to the Dublin Connolly side of the city for the last day of my 8-day single country, interrail pass. When I first arrived 8 days ago, my first trip was to Sligo and I was heading back up that line again, so was on an early train at 06.55 to Dromod, the operating centre for the Cavan and Leitrim Railway, a 3 ft gauge railway that was once quite extensive.

“The main line ran 34 miles (54 km) from Dromod to Belturbet, opening in October 1887. A branch line from Ballinamore to Arigna opened in May 1888 and was extended in 1920 to reach the coal mines beyond Arigna. The Belturbet to Dromod route passed through towns including Tomkin Road, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Mohill, and Dereen, while the branch to Arigna ran via Ballyduff, Cornabrone, Kiltubrid, Creagh, and Drumshanbo The line included roadside tramway sections, particularly on the Arigna branch, which allowed it to navigate the hilly and boggy terrain economically”, (Source Wikipedia).

These days the Cavan and Leitrim Railway operate a half mile length of track, but is also a museum centre. I arrived at Dromod for 09.06, it’s a small village with the original station house being converted to a private dwelling. Opposite the main station however is the Cavan and Leitrim station building and yard, complete with loco shed.

The railway however wasn’t operating on my visit, but I found a dirt track off the main road that took me through to the station and yard. One of the railway members lives on site and he didn’t seem too happy that I was there, apparently the dirt track I had walked along was his neighbours garden and his main concern of course was vandalism to the railway, which is understandable and I expect they don’t have the funds to fence the railway off from the public.

Fortunately, he didn’t seem to mind me taking a few photographs and advised me that the railway would be open to the public on the Saturday, the following day, unfortunately for me I was flying back to Manchester the following day, so will have to revisit at some point. They did have quite a collection of small diesel type shunters in the yard, probably ex peat railway machines, while they also had a steam locomotive in the sheds. I wish them luck with any further extensions and progress, its certainly worth paying a visit when its operating.

I departed from Dromod at 10.04 and arrived back into Dublin Connolly for 12.09. At 12.50 I caught the Enterprise behind a class 201, Black stiped liveried 233, to the Northern Ireland border station of Dundalk, mainly because I wanted to check out the small station museum, it was quite interesting and a well restored station, essentially a large island platform with access via an over bridge from what would have been border control at some point in the past.

I returned to Dublin Connolly on the 14.13 Enterprise behind class 201, 227 in Enterprise livery, arriving back into Dublin Connolly for 15.13. I was then aiming for my last line and new track for Ireland, Dublin Docklands. I boarded the 15.48 to Broombridge for 15.57 and then the 16.06 to Docklands for 16.19, an interesting line that passes below the main line into what was the North Wall area of Dublin.
I returned from Docklands at 16.27 to Broombridge for 16.35, departing at 16.51 for Dublin Connolly for 17.03. For the sake of completing every line in the last 8 days, I took the branch line to Howth, leaving Dublin Connolly at 17.23 and arriving into Howth for 17.50. I returned on the same train from Howth and it was nice to see a blue liveried Northern Ireland class 201 number 216 stood on shed at Connolly and in bright enough sunshine to managed a few photographs from the passing train.

It was a fantastic week and covered 3 different preservation sites, but I missed out a lot more, which are difficult to access without a car, rural Ireland isn’t adored by public transport and many lines have been closed over the years, it was however a very enjoyable trip. I left Dublin Connolly for the last time and caught a late airport bus from the city; I was on an early flight on the Saturday morning and managed to grab a few hours sleep at the airport before my flight back to Manchester, it was emotional.


 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Czech Republic (Day 1). Tuesday 15th September 2026.

I was out in Czech Republic for nine days, essentially to attend the Benesov steam Festival, at Benesov u Prahy, sadly this was to be the last steam gala in this location. I was also shed and line bashing and catching up with a few friends.

I was on a late Ryanair flight from Manchester, arriving into Prague for 01.00 on the Tuesday morning, and this worked out nicely as I only had a few minutes to wait for a bus to take me to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi railway station, despite no longer being in the EU, we still get free travel in Prague once we reach senior age, and at 75, I tick all the boxes. I was catching an early train through to Breclav, for an early shed bash.

My train arrived into Breclav for around 08.00 and I had managed a few hours’ sleep on the train journey. It was a misty morning as I arrived into Breclav, but clearing. The underground passage leading to the depot, from the station, was unusually open, this is the first time I’ve know this, so maybe the locks have broken. I located the Strojmistrie, (shed foreman), and was allowed around the depot, they are always pretty good in Czech and Slovakia for shed visits, and appreciate our interests. A full depot as usual, with plenty of visiting locomotives on shed too, including Slovakian, Polish and Austrian examples worked in on freight. After an excellent visit, I returned, back through the passage and onto the station platforms and it wasn’t long before I was boarding a direct service to Ostrava.

The sun was bright in the sky by the time I arrived, I made my way over the footbridge and down to the Strojmistrie office and was again granted a shed visit. The depot was full also and I had a great visit. My next move was to catch a local train up to Bohumin, and again I visited the depot there, although there was not a lot on shed really and it appears to be handling more units these days, than locomotives.

After visiting the depot, I had a ride out to Mosty u Jablunkova, the terminus for one of the local services, and later returned to Bohumin before finally travelling back to Ostrava, where I was meeting up with a Czech friend. It had been a great first day and nice to get back into some serious shed bashing in Czech again.

 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Czech Republic (Day 2, part two), Wednesday 16th September 2026.

I was out in Czech Republic for nine days, essentially to attend the Benesov steam Festival, at Benesov u Prahy, sadly this was to be the last steam gala in this location. I was also shed and line bashing and catching up with a few friends.

I’ve been flying over to Czech since 2014 and over the years I’ve been lucky to meet up with a few professional railwaymen and we have become friends. I had the privilege of spending a 12-hour shift with one of those gentlemen, an amazing experience, which I can’t publish here for obvious reasons and this section of my trip will have to remain in my private collect, hence why Day 2 is in two parts.

I did however return to Ostrava for another brief look around the locomotive depot for new arrivals and after taking tea in the city, I caught the 18.11 Pendolino back into Prague. I went exploring a few more tram routes to add to my collection, one such line was the number 6 line and from outside Prague Masarykovo Nadrazi to Kubanske namesti, I alighted at the end of the route and caught the returning number 6 tram to the other end of the line at Nadrazi Holesovice, but after arriving at Masarykovo Nadrazi, my number 6 tram mysteriously changed to a number 5 tram? I thought it was me at first, so left the tram and waited for another number 6 tram to Nadrazi Holesovice, but after a few stops this tram also metathesised into a number 5 tram. I could see the line it was suppose to turn off on, but it simply didn’t, can anyone explain why they do this?

I had a wonder around the city on various tram lines until most of them stopped running which was just after midnight, although some do run through the night. I then had to find an all-night bus to get me back to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi, as the tram I was on at the time, decided to give up and return to its depot miles from anywhere. I then spent the rest of the night hanging around the railway station, some very dodgy people hang around railway stations at night, and I guess I’m one of them. The next day, I had accommodation booked for the next 3 nights in Benesov for the steam festival, but first thing in the morning I was catching an early train upto Usti nad Labem for a loco shed visit.

I’ve noticed this year that they have security patrols around the stations at night and they must have been told to wake anyone up that falls asleep, they are an absolute pain in the backside at times, for as soon as you blink, one of them is rushing over to you to tell you, “ its not allowed”, but some of the people I saw them do this too, just blasted the security guards, and was left alone.

 
Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Czech Republic, (Day 3). Thursday 17th September 2026.

I was out in Czech Republic for nine days, essentially to attend the Benesov steam Festival, at Benesov u Prahy, sadly this was to be the last steam gala in this location. I was also shed and line bashing and catching up with a few friends.

After a night on the trams and roaming around Prague Hlvani Nadrazi railway station. I was on the first train north heading for Usti nad Labem, with a change of train for Usti Zapad and then a trolley bus out to Usti nad Labem locomotive Depot.

I arrived at the road crossing and entrance into the depot and already had my hi viz vest on by this time, a train was passing through the crossing, so the barriers were down and I notice a security cabin has now been placed on the entrance, with a security guard who had clocked me. I decided not to pass security in case they were ignorant to train spotters, and instead walked back down the road, then onto the footbridge and crossed into the depot that way, however, while I was crossing the bridge, I noticed the security bod walking towards the bottom of the steps in the direction I was heading, he looked up at me, so I quickened my pace, descended from the footbridge and took a few quick turns around the various offices and heading for the locomotive depot proper and into the safety of the Strojmistr office, he didn’t follow, and I was given permission to visit the depot.

I walked down to the stored locomotives and scrap lines area, and managed to set the alarm off, which in English said, you have entered a restricted area, please leave immediately, no one came over though, so I simply took my shots and then left the area and made my way back to the main depot. This was a new alarm system since I last visited, although I do remember one Strojmistr once telling me that they had, experienced some problems with the local gypsy community stealing locomotive parts down there. I thanked the Strojmistr after my visit, and he didn’t say anything about the alarm going off. Plenty of locos on shed though, including a number of the F160 MS3 CD Traxx class 388 Bo-Bo 86-ton freight locomotives built in 2019, to which Usti appears to have a large allocation.

I returned to Usti main station and then back down to Prague and caught a train over to Benesov u Prahy, ready for the gala. I was staying for 3 nights at the Sporthotel Zimmi Stadion, a sports stadium, it was alright for the 3 nights and only 15-minute walk from the railway station, it was essentially student accommodation, cheap but adequate. I was allowed in the room as I arrived at 13.00, and once I had dropped my rucksack off, I returned to the railway station and caught a train down the branch line towards Trhovy Stepanov, but trains were only going as far as Vlasim and I was told the line down to Trhovy Stepanov closed last year, fortunately, I did travel the line a few years ago. I returned to Benesov and noticed a road train stopped outside the railway station, for tourists, and for 5 Koruna, I took a ride around the town and a large park outside the town, the trip lasted an hour, so it was great value. A few locomotives were also arriving at Benesov ready for the steam festival.

I took tea in the station restaurant, a good old Czech Goulash, it was a great place to eat and I used it every night while I was there. It was however nice to get back to my accommodation and my first bed for 3 nights, I slept well.

 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Czech Republic, (Day 4). Friday 18th September 2026.

I was out in Czech Republic for nine days, essentially to attend the Benesov steam Festival, at Benesov u Prahy, sadly this was to be the last steam gala in this location. I was also shed and line bashing and catching up with a few friends.

I was awake by 08.00 at the Sportshotel Benesov u Prahy, the room had only a large bunkbed, but the mattresses were too thin for me, so I pulled the second mattress down from the top bunk, and this made it more comfortable for my consecutive nights. I made my way back up to the station and breakfast was just a few pasties and a coffee from the only café I could find open.

This was the day before the steam festival proper; I arrived a day earlier because I wanted to record all the arrivals, and a good selection of steam, diesel and electric arrived as exhibits, including the only operable TEE, (Trans European Express), albeit with only 4 coaches in tow, but it still looked the part and was great to see.

The Trans Europ Express, or Trans-Europe Express (TEE), was an international first-class railway service in western and central Europe that was founded in 1957 and ceased in 1995. At the height of its operations, in 1974, the TEE network comprised 45 trains, connecting 130 different cities from Spain in the west to Austria in the east, and from Denmark to Southern Italy.

I caught up with a few old mates, Charlie, and Gary, southern loco drivers and Robin, a driver from the midlands and we all had an excellent meal in the station café. The first activity at the steam festival was the concert in the evening, although the main event and night shoot was taking place on the Saturday night, with many special trains operating on the main line throughout the day. I retired to my hotel for around 20.00 hours; after just watching part of the concert, it had been a great day though.

 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Benesov Steam Festival. Czech Republic (Day 5). Saturday 19th September 2026.

I was out in Czech Republic for nine days, essentially to attend the Benesov steam Festival, at Benesov u Prahy, sadly this was to be the last steam gala in this location. I was also shed and line bashing and catching up with a few friends.

After a good night’s sleep at the Sporthotel, Benesov, I was soon back in the town looking for something for breakfast, but sadly I was back on pastries, there was nothing else open. This was however the first proper day of the gala, now just about everything had been delivered and fencing was erected around the site, the queues were going over the railway bridge, nearly back to the station, but I had paid on line and had the wore the wrist band, so went to the front of the queue and was allowed through by security.

The selection of locomotives and units was immense, with many early types of locomotives in steam, diesel and electric. I caught up with my mates again and a few new ones, I also spent a lot of time lineside photographing all the specials coming and going and all the various movements.
From a health and safety point of view, the drivers passing through Benesov on the main line, must have been having nightmares, because everyone was just wondering around and crossing the main lines, with many not even wearing hi viz gear, the worrying part for me was a few stupid women crossing the tracks with very young children, but no one was hurt, or any near misses reported, so maybe some countries have gone a little overboard with health and safety legislation, I don’t know?

Lots of steam action from both large and small locomotives, nice to see a couple of Grumpys, Ludmilla’s and indeed a Nohab present. I spent the full day between the site and trackside and stayed on site while they set up for the night shoot.

The night shoot was very busy too and they positioned the turntable in such a way, that photographers could take photographs from that and also both ends of the inroads, it all worked out very well and everyone worked hard, so all credit to the organisers, apart from the imbecile that set a tripod up in front of me while I was taking a shot, he pointed out that he was an official and basically said, they were allow to be ignorant if they wanted to be, I won’t repeat what I said to him, but thank goodness he appeared to be the only halfwit on site.

I took tea again in the station café, a Czech goulash again, I stayed while I got all the images I wanted and retired to my hotel by around 21.00, it had been a really good day.

 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
Czech Republic (Day 6). Sunday 20th September 2026.

I was out in Czech Republic for nine days, essentially to attend the Benesov steam Festival, at Benesov u Prahy, sadly this was to be the last steam gala in this location. I was also shed and line bashing and catching up with a few friends.

I left the Sporthotel and Benesov for the last time, nowhere was open for breakfast in the town, and I didn’t intend staying at the festival for the last day, despite already having a ticket, I had everything I needed from previous 3 days. I had booked a guest room at Strakonice for the next two nights, as I needed to travel on a few lines in that region.

From Benesov I caught a train to Pisek Mesto for a connecting service up to Brenice, (new track for me), but it all went terribly wrong, for some strange reason I alighted at Pisek Mesto station, instead of the junction and main station at Pisek, so I had missed my 2 hour connecting train, plus there was no trains for hours towards Pisek from Pisek Mesto station, however, the Redcap, (station master), kindly called me a taxi to take me to the right station, fortunately it only cost 100 koruna, about £3.50 and I was only waiting for 5 minutes, so I gave him 200 Koruna as a tip. When I arrived at the main Pisek station, a large Tesco was close by and since I had over an hour and a half to wait for the next train, I took breakfast in Tesco, and my train to Breznice eventually arrived.

Now I’m not sure what happened next, maybe I was being a bit dozy that day, but I got chatting to a Czech women, who only spoke a little English, but she was having trouble charging her phone with the lead she had, so I lent her one of mine, when our train reached Breznice, and for some reason I wasn’t thinking straight, but she said something in Czech and then said we will have to change trains here, so for whatever I was thinking about I changed trains and it was only after the train had passed through a few stations, that I realised I had missed my station at Breznice and was heading north towards Zdice, where the train terminated. Fortunately, this train, having terminated at Zdice, went back to Breznice and then continued down the new track I was intending to travel on anyway, down direct to Strakonice via Blatna, arriving into Strakonice by 18.00, so everything worked out alright in the end, despite my two silly mistakes. As a point of interest, I passed the old locomotive roundhouse at Zdice, which appears to be a preservation site now, with a number of diesel shunting locomotives in the yard, plus at least one steam locomotive, so worth a visit on another trip.

I was staying in a guest house a 2 minutes walk from Strakonice railway station, I had booked in for 2 nights at £30 a night at the AGI Guesthouse, and with an Albert supermarket across the road, which was ideal for supplies, the place was very modern and I enjoyed my stay there.

 

Top