• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should we see more welfare officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Agreed I think we need more as they actually help a lot with keeping people safe and also doing customer service.

Are there any firm stats on this? For example, have fatalities reduced at known hotspots where they have been deployed?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,650
Location
Merseyside
Welfare officer here, a few things to point out are we do need welfare officers, especially at Pokesdown. Locals will tell you that the station is much better for us being here and drivers will tell you they can drive through with a bit more confidence. Each to their own on how you react but you will be questioned on the platform if you hang around and there is plenty of platform to stand on away from the yellow line so we will also be asking people to stand behind it.
Who is it you are employed by and what is the procedure for making a complaint about you or your colleagues?
 

E27007

Member
Joined
25 May 2018
Messages
1,044
I suspect most people's reaction would be much the same regardless of how well intended the person asking the question might be.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


This is absolute nonsense and I would have asked him to identify himself and taken the matter further, this incident really sums up what a waste of time and money such people are.
I believe it is a railway bye-law that you need permission for photography while on railway property.
I seem to recall a Hogwarts filming session, possibly at Kings Cross, photographers were having the film from their cameras confiscated
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,454
Location
Somerset
I believe it is a railway bye-law that you need permission for photography while on railway property.
I seem to recall a Hogwarts filming session, possibly at Kings Cross, photographers were having the film from their cameras confiscated
Only for commercial purposes, I believe. Taking photos during the making of a film is probably covered by same rules about copyright etc that mean that private photography of theatrical performances etc is not Ok - regardless of location.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,420
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I believe it is a railway bye-law that you need permission for photography while on railway property.
I seem to recall a Hogwarts filming session, possibly at Kings Cross, photographers were having the film from their cameras confiscated

Confiscating film is an absolute no-no.
 

Edsmith

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2021
Messages
669
Location
Staplehurst
I believe it is a railway bye-law that you need permission for photography while on railway property.
I seem to recall a Hogwarts filming session, possibly at Kings Cross, photographers were having the film from their cameras confiscated
Sounds a bit unlikely, basically you can film whatever your eyes can see in a public place.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,885
Location
Cambridge
Welfare officers under SWR just seem massively pointless. All they do is yell at people who want to wait at the far end of the platform for a better chance of a seat. By all means you can come and ask if I’m alright if automatic alarm bells sound at me waiting at a deserted end of a platform, but under no circumstances have you the right to make me wait closer to the centre of the platform. If the full length of the platform is in use, I have the right to wait for my train where I want, and actually the security guards at Milton Keynes Central need to come to terms with that.
 

Edsmith

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2021
Messages
669
Location
Staplehurst
Welfare officers under SWR just seem massively pointless. All they do is yell at people who want to wait at the far end of the platform for a better chance of a seat. By all means you can come and ask if I’m alright if automatic alarm bells sound at me waiting at a deserted end of a platform, but under no circumstances have you the right to make me wait closer to the centre of the platform. If the full length of the platform is in use, I have the right to wait for my train where I want, and actually the security guards at Milton Keynes Central need to come to terms with that.
I would just ignore them if they started telling me where to stand on the platform.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Film companies are known for being zealous in their protection of their movies prior to official release.
I was referring to general photography and not film companies but they are bound by the same laws as everyone else.
 

Pompey00

Repeatedly returning banned member
Joined
15 Aug 2022
Messages
201
Location
Portsmouth
Welfare officers under SWR just seem massively pointless. All they do is yell at people who want to wait at the far end of the platform for a better chance of a seat. By all means you can come and ask if I’m alright if automatic alarm bells sound at me waiting at a deserted end of a platform, but under no circumstances have you the right to make me wait closer to the centre of the platform. If the full length of the platform is in use, I have the right to wait for my train where I want, and actually the security guards at Milton Keynes Central need to come to terms with that.
Tbh they have to ask if you at the end of the platform if you are ok it’s there job and it’s better to be safe than sorry but as long as your not on the otherside of the yellow line close to the edge or misbehaving they won’t have to tell you off.
 

Pompey00

Repeatedly returning banned member
Joined
15 Aug 2022
Messages
201
Location
Portsmouth
I said previously if they are at the end of the platform they are allowed to ask if you ok. Whether you answer it’s up to you but they can make you move closer to the people. But keeping people behind the yellow lines they have to.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The more we see the better.
 
Last edited:

Edsmith

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2021
Messages
669
Location
Staplehurst
I said previously if they are at the end of the platform they are allowed to ask if you ok. Whether you answer it’s up to you but they can make you move closer to the people. But keeping people behind the yellow lines they have to.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The more we see the better.
Asking if people are ok is one thing but they can't start ordering people around.
 

E27007

Member
Joined
25 May 2018
Messages
1,044
Asking if people are ok is one thing but they can't start ordering people around.
On the railway we have courses about mental health and suicides.
It is a serious problem, the railways are safe for passengers , but the number of suicides on the track far exceed passenger deaths by a considerable margin, so what must the railway do to minimise deaths on the railway?
From our courses it is taught a potential jumper with the state of mind to end their life is temporary, the state of mind lasts only a few minutes, if that person is approached by another human in time, it will be enough to reverse that state of mind and they will walk away, possibly seeking help elsewhere
 

Edsmith

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2021
Messages
669
Location
Staplehurst
On the railway we have courses about mental health and suicides.
It is a serious problem, the railways are safe for passengers , but the number of suicides on the track far exceed passenger deaths by a considerable margin, so what must the railway do to minimise deaths on the railway?
From our courses it is taught a potential jumper with the state of mind to end their life is temporary, the state of mind lasts only a few minutes, if that person is approached by another human in time, it will be enough to reverse that state of mind and they will walk away, possibly seeking help elsewhere
I'm not sure how they're going to do that if they're busy looking at their phone, as in the earlier post about Pokesdown, before coming out with some nonsense about photography being prohibited.
 

Welfareofficer

New Member
Joined
29 Nov 2022
Messages
2
Location
Pokesdown
Having asked station management you do need permission to be taking photographs of the station, it’s for security reasons, so by all means get permission or a permit and snap away. Also we are not here to tell you where to stand but if you’re at the end of a platform and don’t board a train then we are asked in our role to speak to you.
 

Edsmith

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2021
Messages
669
Location
Staplehurst
Having asked station management you do need permission to be taking photographs of the station, it’s for security reasons, so by all means get permission or a permit and snap away. Also we are not here to tell you where to stand but if you’re at the end of a platform and don’t board a train then we are asked in our role to speak to you.
In practice I don't think many people are going to ask for permission to take photographs but I don't think anyone could object to being politely asked if they were standing at the end of a platform.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top