• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should USB-C ports be fitted to trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,695
Location
Nottingham
I have noticed on some of my CL. 720 journeys that some the USB sockets don't seem to work or accept the USB-A charging cord. Very random as the charging cord will fit some sockets but not others. It's as if some of the USB sockets on the train are damaged in some way
I've found that quite often - I get the impression accidentally catching the plug or tugging the cable to pull it across the long axis of the socket will permanently damage the socket so the plug slops around in it. It may then work if held in position by hand, but more likely not at all.

I also managed to drop the laptop and it landed on the USB-C plug which was charging it at the time. The metal part of the plug is bent about 20 degrees but both it and the socket (and the laptop!) still work.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
The latest Apple iPhones, Apple Watches, iPads and AirPods have switched to USB-C charging, joining their MacBooks which have had this for years. None of these will work with a standard USB port (infuriatingly for me as a Mac user who takes it on every long train journey, and the plugs are quite bulky anyway)
I'm not that up-to-date on recent Apple equipment. I know these devices (and plenty of others) now have a USB-C port on them for charging, but do you mean to say that these Apple ones won't charge if used with a USB cable with a "standard" connection on the other end (USB-C to USB-A)?

If so, any visitors to my house would be absolutely stuck for charging things. We only own one device with a USB-C "output" port, and I don't think there's a C-to-C cable in the house. (There's a fair number of A-C ones.)
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,676
Location
Solihull
I'm not that up-to-date on recent Apple equipment. I know these devices (and plenty of others) now have a USB-C port on them for charging, but do you mean to say that these Apple ones won't charge if used with a USB cable with a "standard" connection on the other end (USB-C to USB-A)?
They charge fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top