• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seating "reserved but not allocated"

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,992
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
My ATW Advance tickets from Hereford to Chester that I book online now don't issue a seat reservation number, but state that "seating has been reserved" or words to that effect.

How enforceable would this be if I board a full train? I think they are on dodgy ground with this wording.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,541
Location
Yorkshire
If you board a train that is full and you can't find a seat, seek the guard for advice. Chances are someone will have a bag on a seat somewhere on the train, or a seat may become available at the next station, etc...
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I'm assuming that message is only the booking website trainfanatic, and that it doesn't appear on the tickets. Or have you had the tickets with that message?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,541
Location
Yorkshire
That's the message when you book using WebTIS.

The reservation coupon will say something like Coach * Seat ***.

I agree it's not clear.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,992
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Yes that's what it says on the coupon, Coach * Seats (why plural?) ***.

I've just noticed that both the ticket and the coupon have my surname printed in the orange strip at the bottom. Never spotted that before. Not sure what the point is as there's no compulsion to carry ID when travelling.
 

moonrakerz

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2009
Messages
870
I use SWT Advance tickets a fair bit and I never get a seat reservation.

Their website says:
"They are only valid on your booked train(s)."

Whereas FGW say:
"The tickets come with an automatic seat reservation"

The ATW site refers you to the National Rail site which says:
"Tickets are valid ONLY on the date and train service(s) shown on the ticket(s).
Where applicable, you must travel in the Class and reserved seat(s) shown on the ticket(s)."
Hedging their bets ??
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
I use SWT Advance tickets a fair bit and I never get a seat reservation.

They did away with seat reservations a while ago, instead a passenger is just booked onto a specific train.

At least I think is SWT, might have been another of the southern operators I tend to get them mixed up :oops:
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,296
It is South West Trains, although SN don't do them either
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
Yes that's what it says on the coupon, Coach * Seats (why plural?) ***.

I've just noticed that both the ticket and the coupon have my surname printed in the orange strip at the bottom. Never spotted that before. Not sure what the point is as there's no compulsion to carry ID when travelling.

Because the fields have 1 and 3 fields respectively;

Coach A
Seat 41A

For example.

I think it is the plural word seats rather than the number of asterisks that is being queried. The answer is laziness on the part of the software developers. You only get one reservation coupon per group booking so it will often list more than one seat.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
My ATW Advance tickets from Hereford to Chester that I book online now don't issue a seat reservation number, but state that "seating has been reserved" or words to that effect.

How enforceable would this be if I board a full train? I think they are on dodgy ground with this wording.

Arriva have stoped using seat reservations now they are German owned...




They put a towel on the seat instead :lol:



I'll get my coat...
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Arriva have stoped using seat reservations now they are German owned...




They put a towel on the seat instead :lol:



I'll get my coat...


Thank you, I've just sprayed coffee all over my keyboard. :-x :lol:

[hunts for virtual brick to throw]
 

HORNIMANS

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2009
Messages
116
If I remember correctly you can claim 5% of you fare back if seat is not honoured, certainly worth putting in a complaint..
 

mathmo

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2008
Messages
338
If I remember correctly you can claim 5% of you fare back if seat is not honoured, certainly worth putting in a complaint..

No, you can claim back the fee paid for the seat reservation: which is, now East Coast scrapped theirs, zero on all TOCs. (See Condition of Carriage 41.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top