• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail HST on the GSW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDLhouston

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2022
Messages
71
Location
Scotland
Is it possible for scotrail to put the inter7city HST's on stranraer, kilmarnock and carlisle services? They could open up more stranraer services and don't have the door problem of the class 158/170, obviously they might be too long for platforms but shorter sets could be ran or they could extend the platforms
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,804
Location
UK
Is it possible for scotrail to put the inter7city HST's on stranraer, kilmarnock and carlisle services? They could open up more stranraer services and don't have the door problem of the class 158/170, obviously they might be too long for platforms but shorter sets could be ran or they could extend the platforms
Technically possible? Yes, of course. Mk3 coaches have been down there many times, and I'm sure there will have been some instances where HSTs did the journey, likely as part of engineering work diversions.

The real question is whether their use is justified, especially considering the fact that ScotRail would have to procure more sets, get them modified and then train traincrew on the new traction.

Overall it would be a very expensive endeavour which I couldn't see happening in a million years, seeing as ScotRail are already under pressure from the drivers' union ASLEF to announce their plans for withdrawing HSTs (in view of the Carmont accident).

I think the best you can hope for is that whatever replaces the 156s is a bit better. But I wouldn't hold out high hopes. In fact I'd say there is a greater chance of the line to Stranraer being closed than of it seeing HSTs or anything in that vein.
 

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,755
Location
Glasgow
I wonder if 158s or 170s will be used on the Carlisle services if 156s are being replaced, though I can't see HSTs being used. They also currently interwork with East Kilbride so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to send a HST there either.
 

BDLhouston

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2022
Messages
71
Location
Scotland
I wonder if 158s or 170s will be used on the Carlisle services if 156s are being replaced, though I can't see HSTs being used. They also currently interwork with East Kilbride so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to send a HST there either.
I can see 156s lasting till at least 2030, they aren't showing signs of being tired and they've only just had 153s put onto them, I'd be surprised if they were withdrawn before then, that's at least 8 years from now which is a good amount of time for scotrail to get some bi-mode or battery powered trains.
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,611
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
Possible yes, but justified ? Definitely not, from experience travelling on these routes a 2-car 156 or, at busy times, 4-car, is perfectly adequate for the traffic, and the most economical way of providing the service.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,321
I wonder if 158s or 170s will be used on the Carlisle services if 156s are being replaced, though I can't see HSTs being used. They also currently interwork with East Kilbride so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to send a HST there either.
They are not cleared on the GSW or East Kilbride branch.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
They are not cleared on the GSW or East Kilbride branch.
They are cleared for the GSW.

Standard Mark 3s are cleared, but Mark 3(MOD) (as shown in the SA) are not, with Mark 3(MOD) defined as "Mk3 (MOD) = Mk 3 coaches (Modified) and refers to Mk 3 coaches which have been fitted with powered bodyside plug doors"; there is a subsequent note that states "Mk3 coaches used with Class 43 power cars and fitted with external power-operated sliding doors, manufactured by Vapor Stone Rail Systems, and CET are compatible with all routes shown as cleared for Mk3 coaches." I therefore read Mark 3 (MOD) as being the Chiltern sets, which have plug (as opposed to sliding) doors.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,321
They are cleared for the GSW.

Standard Mark 3s are cleared, but Mark 3(MOD) (as shown in the SA) are not, with Mark 3(MOD) defined as "Mk3 (MOD) = Mk 3 coaches (Modified) and refers to Mk 3 coaches which have been fitted with powered bodyside plug doors"; there is a subsequent note that states "Mk3 coaches used with Class 43 power cars and fitted with external power-operated sliding doors, manufactured by Vapor Stone Rail Systems, and CET are compatible with all routes shown as cleared for Mk3 coaches." I therefore read Mark 3 (MOD) as being the Chiltern sets, which have plug (as opposed to sliding) doors.
I should of said the 158 and 170s are not cleared for the GSW.
 

SeanG

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2013
Messages
1,378
I thought that 158s have previously been up the GSW on Leeds - Glasgow services for Arriva Trains Northern?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top