• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail alcohol ban quietly relaxed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
I’ve seen various statements in the past from health bodies regarding there being no safe level of alcohol consumption. Although the effects will likely be less than for someone with a higher level of consumption, drinking every day doesn’t give the body any chance to recover.
It may be a generational or social circle thing, but drinking that often isn’t that common: https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-inf...022-part-1/adult-drinking#alcohol-consumption

Amazed at the stats to be honest. I thought drinking small amounts regularly was quite common. Even the younger generations don't seem to do it.

But I note that they're now saying men aren't supposed to drink more than 14 units - it always used to be 21 back in the 90s and 00s. To be fair I'm still well under 14!

I certainly wouldn't consider myself to have an alcohol problem drinking 330ml of average-strength beer each day, to be honest. I guess there might be some risk, just like there is a risk in sugar and fat consumption, but at the end of the day, it's little to get worried about if done in moderation. IMO of course.

You say it's a generational thing: perhaps it's because I was a young adult in the 90s and there was more of a drinking culture then?

(Just to clarify, I have never been into binge-drinking or even drinking excessively multiple nights a week!)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,811
Location
Central Belt
I heard about the immanent lifting of the ban when staying in Broughty Ferry back in April. I used several Scotrail services in those days and felt almost sorry for the catering staff whom I’m sure would’ve done far more trade if allowed to sell beers wine & spirits, particularly in the late afternoon/early evening.
I am sure Nicola will be very unhappy if it is dropped (although I suspect most of Scotland no longer care what she thinks) I suspect it is getting dropped before the Holyrood elections.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,961
Location
Gwynedd
Amazed at the stats to be honest. I thought drinking small amounts regularly was quite common. Even the younger generations don't seem to do it.
Younger generations even less so. I was on the management board of a students' union's commercial arm at one point. When I joined we had to solve the problem of the union bar (and 'club') losing money. Did some research with students and it basically turns out younger people are drinking less on average, and the number of younger 'teetotallers' was on the rise.

In the end to turn things around we had to up the food game from dated pub grub, install some games consoles and put sports on the big screen. The 'club' was basically ditched - the union's responsible drinking policy meant drinks were never as cheap as the cheap and dirty student clubs in town, and students kinda wanted to go from a bar to a bar to a club then maybe another club, whereas our club was small.

Had a couple of explorer scouts (aged 14-17) say they don't plan on drinking, or a couple who said they just don't 'get it'. Mind you, they also complained to me the first time I planned a camp menu for them that I hadn't bought any salad. Teenagers, asking for salad, bonkers. Seen a couple of them in the gym at 6am as well.

'Generation sensible' I think they call it!
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
Younger generations even less so. I was on the management board of a students' union's commercial arm at one point. When I joined we had to solve the problem of the union bar (and 'club') losing money. Did some research with students and it basically turns out younger people are drinking less on average, and the number of younger 'teetotallers' was on the rise.

In the end to turn things around we had to up the food game from dated pub grub, install some games consoles and put sports on the big screen. The 'club' was basically ditched - the union's responsible drinking policy meant drinks were never as cheap as the cheap and dirty student clubs in town, and students kinda wanted to go from a bar to a bar to a club then maybe another club, whereas our club was small.
Interesting generational difference there - I'm not especially a fan of big screens in pubs, though they are present at one or two I visit. My feeling is you go to a pub to talk, eat and drink, not to watch sport!

My student union certainly sold cheap drinks - I recall sub-£1 pints, and this was the early 90s when pub prices would be about double that.
Had a couple of explorer scouts (aged 14-17) say they don't plan on drinking, or a couple who said they just don't 'get it'. Mind you, they also complained to me the first time I planned a camp menu for them that I hadn't bought any salad. Teenagers, asking for salad, bonkers. Seen a couple of them in the gym at 6am as well.

To be fair I had no interest in drinking aged 16 or 17, though I got the impression a lot of my peers couldn't wait to turn 18 and be able to visit pubs legally. Certainly when I went on a field trip in sixth-form aged 16 I didn't feel any sense of resentment that our tutors were (quite rightly) banning us from buying alcohol at the bar!
'Generation sensible' I think they call it!
Reminds me of Huey Lewis's "Hip To Be Square" (1987-ish) though perhaps that was more a comment on the yuppie generation who would have been around late 20s at the time.
 
Last edited:

Sealink

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2006
Messages
886
Location
Bridport
I get why you may want to call alcohol on say football or rugby days or, my apologies to the city, late nights in Glasgow. (Teasing, you can mention any city here), but a blanket ban was overkill.

At 9pm you are approaching Helmsdale on the FNL with few passengers, but never any trouble.
 

OhNoAPacer

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2013
Messages
726
Location
Egremont Cumbria / Northampton
The advantage of a blanket ban, be it on alcohol, hot food or people wearing top hats, is that it is clearer than if it only applies to certain trains or times.

I make no comment on it being sensible or not.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,901
Location
East Anglia
I am sure Nicola will be very unhappy if it is dropped (although I suspect most of Scotland no longer care what she thinks) I suspect it is getting dropped before the Holyrood elections.
I don’t think most of Scotland remembers who she is :p Was she teetotal by chance?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top