DerekC
Established Member
Does anyone else remember school outing specials in the 1950s? I can recall two, both from Cheshunt, but picking up from a number of stations in the Lea Valley.
First was steam hauled to Windsor - I think Riverside. I can vividly recall seeing Gospel Oak station from a line at higher level, which would suggest Tottenham & Hampstead, then Acton Central and Old Kew Junction - but how we got onto the T&H without reversing I don't remember. Maybe we did reverse. I think it started off with an N7 but whether it changed to something more SR-friendly en route I don't remember either.
Second was the following year - DMU (exciting and new!) to North Walsham - presumably via Cambridge, Ely and the Wensum Curve. Back the same day.
They were brave guys in those days - a trainload of 8 to 10 year olds must have been fun to organise and keep under control!
First was steam hauled to Windsor - I think Riverside. I can vividly recall seeing Gospel Oak station from a line at higher level, which would suggest Tottenham & Hampstead, then Acton Central and Old Kew Junction - but how we got onto the T&H without reversing I don't remember. Maybe we did reverse. I think it started off with an N7 but whether it changed to something more SR-friendly en route I don't remember either.
Second was the following year - DMU (exciting and new!) to North Walsham - presumably via Cambridge, Ely and the Wensum Curve. Back the same day.
They were brave guys in those days - a trainload of 8 to 10 year olds must have been fun to organise and keep under control!
Last edited: