montyburns56
Member
- Joined
- 5 Oct 2015
- Messages
- 179
Is there anyone out there who has an in depth knowledge of the Styal Loop as I've been wondering exactly when (and how) the bridge over School Lane (Didsbury) was built? The line was completed in 1909 and at the time School Lane was a farm track which took a different route which didn't go under the railway. However in the 1930s when Didsbury was being developed the current School lane was rebuilt and diverted, but as this contemporary aerial photograph shows, there was no over bridge for the road. I can't find any reference online to it being built yet it must have been quite a feat of engineering to turn an embankment into a bridge on a running railway line. Are there any references in old railway magazines to it's construction? I did wonder if it was built during the war and the work was kept hush hush so as not to highlight a handy target for German bombers!


