• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sandhills station capacity enhancement updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,279
About 25 minutes but many football fans have always walked from the city centre to both Goodison Park and Anfield.

(Last time I looked there was a sign outside Lime Street station saying something like-Walking route to Anfield 2 and a half miles)
 
And so this is not really anything new.
Indeed. And Goodison was further. Presumably, that's o.k. then?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,272
it is ridiculous the seemingly lack of planning on all fronts transport wise for this new stadium from Sandhills, to this recent messaging to the parking restrictions basically covering anywhere inside Queens Drive, even on non match days.
For a project which has taken several years to complete, it does seem bizarre how transport considerations have been left so late.

I walked to the new stadium from the centre earlier this year from the centre of town. It's perfectly walkable, though not sure I'd want to do it in the pouring rain with a gale blowing in from the Irish sea!
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,391
Indeed. And Goodison was further. Presumably, that's o.k. then?
I'm not saying it's okay but I am saying that this is no different to many sporting venues.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

For a project which has taken several years to complete, it does seem bizarre how transport considerations have been left so late.

I walked to the new stadium from the centre earlier this year from the centre of town. It's perfectly walkable, though not sure I'd want to do it in the pouring rain with a gale blowing in from the Irish sea!
Perhaps if the weather is that bad the match will be postponed anyway!
 

Scotty

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2009
Messages
463
Location
Boston, Lincs
About 25 minutes but many football fans have always walked from the city centre to both Goodison Park and Anfield.
I did the walk from Moorfields to Goodison in the cold of January after just missing a train, and the next couple were cancelled. As it was 7pm, I decided to walk it and made it in as the teams walked out at 7.45pm. Took ages to catch a bus back, though.

Perhaps if the weather is that bad the match will be postponed anyway!
It's football, not cricket!
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,863
Location
Liverpool, UK
For a project which has taken several years to complete, it does seem bizarre how transport considerations have been left so late.

I walked to the new stadium from the centre earlier this year from the centre of town. It's perfectly walkable, though not sure I'd want to do it in the pouring rain with a gale blowing in from the Irish sea!
There is a very high dock wall to protect you from the westerly winds most of the way from Princes Dock to the stadium.
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,863
Location
Liverpool, UK

waveyswirley

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2024
Messages
45
Location
Liverpool

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,391
This is a useful service for those wishing to access the various studios, bars and venues in the Ten Streets area - good news!
But not good news for Evertonians, who, to be honest, are not used to good news
 

QueensCurve

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2014
Messages
2,203
Does anywhere on the GB rail network currently adopt this practice (of having separate platforms for boarding and alighting). Can only think of the inter-terminal shuttle at Gatwick Airport as being anything that's similar.
Carlisle P2 the doors are sometimes opened on the P1 side to allow passengers to alight and then on the P3 side to allow boarding.
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,863
Location
Liverpool, UK
But not good news for Evertonians, who, to be honest, are not used to good news
Having been over the road in the Royal Albert Dock I decided to try out the new service 2 which runs from Liverpool ONE Bus Station to Sandhills Station via the Pier Head (Princes Parade) and the Dock Road past the Hill Dickinson Stadium and up Sandhills Lane. It uses midibuses and runs half hourly.
 

Llandudno

Established Member
Joined
25 Dec 2014
Messages
2,748
Location
Matlock
Having been over the road in the Royal Albert Dock I decided to try out the new service 2 which runs from Liverpool ONE Bus Station to Sandhills Station via the Pier Head (Princes Parade) and the Dock Road past the Hill Dickinson Stadium and up Sandhills Lane. It uses midibuses and runs half hourly.
Were you the only passenger?

Maybe they will operate double deckers on a match day…?
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,098
Location
At home or at the pub
Were you the only passenger?

Maybe they will operate double deckers on a match day…?
Only last service on a matchday is 2 hours before kickoff, this from the timetable.

On matchdays this service will be suspended about 2 hours prior to kick off.
For a 3pm kick-off the last journey will be 1230 from Sandhills Station.
For an 8pm kick-off the last journey will be 1730 from Sandhills Station

 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,391
Only last service on a matchday is 2 hours before kickoff, this from the timetable.



I mean obviously the whole area between the city centre to the stadium is going to be regenerated eventually, just like what has happened in the South Docks and is happening in Wirral Waters.

However, this is likely to take decades and in the meantime I would be surprised if this service survives past the short-term.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,306
I mean obviously the whole area between the city centre to the stadium is going to be regenerated eventually, just like what has happened in the South Docks and is happening in Wirral Waters.

However, this is likely to take decades and in the meantime I would be surprised if this service survives past the short-term.
Indeed. The whole thing smacks of being a planning requirement for the stadium i.e. that public transport will be provided for people working at the stadium to minimise the need for private car movements. I suspect that Everton FC will be looking closely at the loadings (which appear to be nil) and applying as soon as they can for a discharge of the planning condition on the grounds that no one uses the bus so it's actually a waste of resources rather than saving them.
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,098
Location
At home or at the pub
I mean obviously the whole area between the city centre to the stadium is going to be regenerated eventually, just like what has happened in the South Docks and is happening in Wirral Waters.

However, this is likely to take decades and in the meantime I would be surprised if this service survives past the short-term.

Merseytravel could have encuraged Arriva/Stagecoach (give part funding) to reroute an existing route, one of 20, 47, 53, 54, 54A, 55, 56, 58, 58A, 300, 310, 345, X2, with 54, 54A, 55, 56 being most likely routes, the 2 feels a white elephant.
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,863
Location
Liverpool, UK
Were you the only passenger?

Maybe they will operate double deckers on a match day…?
I just missed thae 1215 service which had four passengers. I was on the 1245 with just one other guy who got off at the stadium. The service gives you a grandstand view of any cruise liners in port. Yesterday it was P & O Cruises Aurora, 76000 grt.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,391
I just missed thae 1215 service which had four passengers. I was on the 1245 with just one other guy who got off at the stadium. The service gives you a grandstand view of any cruise liners in port. Yesterday it was P & O Cruises Aurora, 76000 grt.
Probably the best view of the cruise liners is from the Wirral side. Ferry to Seacombe and then walk the promenade. Keep on going to New Brighton for a ride back on Merseyrail.

I think the open top bus is running from Seacombe Ferry to New Brighton but I would recommend the prom (and two excellent pubs en route!)
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,306
Merseytravel could have encuraged Arriva/Stagecoach (give part funding) to reroute an existing route, one of 20, 47, 53, 54, 54A, 55, 56, 58, 58A, 300, 310, 345, X2, with 54, 54A, 55, 56 being most likely routes, the 2 feels a white elephant.
Or the 52 or 52A - or maybe extend the 63 from Bootle... Or even the 136.

I have two thoughts on this:
- the routing of buses in North Liverpool/South Sefton is a bigger issue which I hope (but have no evidence for) will be looked at when franchising comes in: and
- this is getting a little speculative so perhaps is now in the wrong section of the forum.
 

Skie

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2008
Messages
1,239
The service gives you a grandstand view of any cruise liners in port. Yesterday it was P & O Cruises Aurora, 76000 grt.
And will also get you stuck in the cruise terminal traffic nightmare for 10 minutes, unfortunately.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,306
And will also get you stuck in the cruise terminal traffic nightmare for 10 minutes, unfortunately.
In fairness, that's only when Fred. Olsen are in: bizarrely they set down and pick up simultaneously which does lead to traffic chaos - and it can't be much fun for housekeeping on the boat, who surely are like any other hotel and would appreciate a few hours between checking out and checking in to make up the rooms.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top