• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rude Thameslink RPI doesn't want to show ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
Their ID is not just to say who they are but also confirms that they are an Authorised Collector. Not quite like a police warrant, but also not just an ID card either.

I can't think of many staff who display ID cards on the railway. A name badge is usually all that is needed.

Strangely enough at my TOC a visible I.D is required to be worn at all times.....but only when in non public areas. Anywhere else it is not required. Although most just wear it anyway to save keep putting it on and off when moving around
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
You may also choose to raise your concerns to TfL with regards to the behaviour as it would be totally unacceptable for someone to just ask you to tap your contactless card without being reasonably satisfied with who they are. They are generally quite serious about the reputation of contactless and may choose to address the matter with the TOC on your behalf.
I fail to understand how TfL would have any influence over the actions of a GTR employee.
 

Mathew S

Established Member
Joined
7 Aug 2017
Messages
2,167
Strangely enough at my TOC a visible I.D is required to be worn at all times.....but only when in non public areas. Anywhere else it is not required. Although most just wear it anyway to save keep putting it on and off when moving around
Indeed. Even when I worked in schools (not for a few years now) it was an absolute requirement that you wear your ID badge at all times, with your name and photo, and that's ~10 years ago. We were under strict instructions that anyone seen not wearing a badge was to be challenged as to their identity and reason for being on the premises, and if you forgot your badge you had to get a temporary one from the office to wear for the day.

Frankly, if you don't have an ID badge on then I'm not believing that you are who you say you are. I don't like this attitude that some rail staff seem to take of not wanting the public to know their name. It's not on. If you behave well, treat your customers with respect, then you've nothing to worry about from people knowing your name. These are people who have chosen to work in a front-line, customer-facing role; wearing, and showing, ID is part of the job.

To call a customer 'pathetic' is also simply inappropriate, no matter what the circumstances.
 

rs101

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2013
Messages
358
There are plenty of reasons why it might not be advisable for a revenue protection officer not to have his/her ID on constant display. Plain clothes operations being one.

Not a relevant reason in this case though, when the individual was in uniform.
 

falcon

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
425
The passenger has the right to ask and the RPI must comply with that request. It doesn't matter why.

That is correct but:-

The question of 'why' does enter into it when the OP admits he requested to see the ID BUT then did not even look and record in his mind or in writting the details.

IF the reason for asking was to obtian the RPI's details and they were not shown then one would say "excuse me I have not seen that". But the OP did not.

So there must have been another reason for asking "Can I see your ID".

res ipsa loquitur.
 

rs101

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2013
Messages
358
That is correct but:-

The question of 'why' does enter into it when the OP admits he requested to see the ID BUT then did not even look and record in his mind or in writting the details.

IF the reason for asking was to obtian the RPI's details and they were not shown then one would say "excuse me I have not seen that". But the OP did not.

So there must have been another reason for asking "Can I see your ID".

res ipsa loquitur.

The OP has already explained why they wanted to see it - to confirm the person was a representative of the TOC. He didn't need to record any details.

If I try and buy alcohol in an American store, I get asked for ID to prove I'm over 21 (I'm mid 40s!). They check it, confirm my age, but don't record it anywhere.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,635
Location
Isle of Man
The question of 'why' does enter into it when the OP admits he requested to see the ID BUT then did not even look and record in his mind or in writting the details.

The OP explained this: he wanted to see that the official had official ID. Something shiny and looking vaguely realistic was enough for the OP. He didn't need to know their inside shoe measurement.

Frankly, if you don't have an ID badge on then I'm not believing that you are who you say you are.

Indeed. Doubly so when it comes to touching my credit card on a machine that you are holding out for me.
 

Mathew S

Established Member
Joined
7 Aug 2017
Messages
2,167
So there must have been another reason for asking "Can I see your ID".
What on earth do you think this "other reason" is? I'm sorry, but I find the OPs explanation perfectly sufficient - and would probably have done exactly the same myself, on reflection, so unless you can explain what alternative explanation you seem to believe exists I'm forced to wonder what motive you have for being so contrary?
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
I think part of the issue some folk have with showing ID is the odd (rare) horror story of harassment etc as a result of disclosing information about themselves to a less than savoury individual. I know of at least one guard who was a victim of severe harassment and so on as a result of dealing with a ticket irregularity.

We can use fake 'badge names' as a consequence with ID made out in those names as well that's linked to a database so management know which staff use which names.

For some reason of late this has been distinctly less common (it seems like the ideal for me - whether a name is real or not, the traceability is what counts).

I've never bothered. I wear a namebadge with my first name on it (cause that's what I was given) and only show my ID when issuing an unpaid fares notice (which is rare) so they can see the authority number matches my ID.

To be fair I've never had anyone question my checking tickets but given I'm a guard quite obviously fairly involved in operating the train rather than just wandering about asking for tickets that's perhaps not surprising.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
I think all points have been suitably made.

If the OP wishes to seek further advice, please get in touch with any of the forum staff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top