• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Mail....oh dear

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Is it no longer the case that competing letter delivery companies are not only permitted in the UK but the Royal Mail is required to carry their letters for the "last mile"?

I'm sure it used to be. Though now I think of it, I'm not sure when the last time was that I saw such a letter.

Pretty sure it's only large volume letters.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cdd89

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
1,789
You'd have to remove the letters monopoly to allow competition though. At present they're more like a privatised water firm.
Even as a monopoly, they're still providing a non-essential service except in niche cases, which is a key difference between them and (e.g.) privatised water. That limits what they can charge for postage. Furthermore, if RM were allowed to charge £10 for a 2nd class stamp, the country would sort itself out. Not that I'm suggesting complete deregulation, nor would RM do this as it would be a stupid business decision that loses them money; but it's an example of a non-problem in my opinion.
 

lookapigeon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
192
I don't understand how Royal Mail can 'lose' letters to the volume and frequency that they do. Do they pretty much hire anyone off the street with a pulse these days and chuck them on the job?
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,779
Location
Croydon
Is it no longer the case that competing letter delivery companies are not only permitted in the UK but the Royal Mail is required to carry their letters for the "last mile"?

I'm sure it used to be. Though now I think of it, I'm not sure when the last time was that I saw such a letter.
And, I wonder, is it the last mile that is the problem with the Royal Mail delivery service.
As in the door-to-door part of the process rather than emptying post boxes, taking the contents to a sorting centre, sorting them and passing them to the sorting centre nearest to the delivery address for one more (automated) sort.

If it is the last mile or so that is the problem then no competing letter delivery company is going to rely on the last mile part of Royal Mail !.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I don't understand how Royal Mail can 'lose' letters to the volume and frequency that they do. Do they pretty much hire anyone off the street with a pulse these days and chuck them on the job?
Well apparently it is less experienced staff that mess deliveries in my road. I do not see the postman often enough but apparently the regular we had has left the job. We apparently get a variety of people now and they are easily able to overlook my neighbours and my own front doors. This is because our two front doors are on the side of our houses house (which are an end of terrace) whereas the rest all have front doors facing the road.
 
Last edited:

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,552
Location
Taunton or Kent
And, I wonder, is it the last mile that is the problem with the Royal Mail delivery service.
As in the door-to-door part of the process rather than emptying post boxes, taking the contents to a sorting centre, sorting them and passing them to the sorting centre nearest to the delivery address for one more (automated) sort.

If it is the last mile or so that is the problem then no competing letter delivery company is going to rely on the last mile part of Royal Mail !.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Well apparently it is less experienced staff that mess deliveries in my road. I do not see the postman often enough but apparently the regular we had has left the job. We apparently get a variety of people now and they are easily able to overlook my neighbours and my own front doors. This is because our two front doors are on the side of our houses house (which are an end of terrace) whereas the rest all have front doors facing the road.
One thing that can help rival companies with parcels is having collection lockers/locations to deliver to. These are more efficient for the last mile and thus often cost less in postage, plus they have the added benefit that recipients don't have to worry about being at home when the delivery is due. This of course is harder to do with letters given the scales involved.
 

Top