• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retro Railtours - new railtour company

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
. . . and it glided smoothly over the Byker Bridge on the approach into Newcastle dead on time - not really under any power at that stage.
Was surprised at how many coaches there were - about 13 I think.

The following NXEC service was right up behind them (as it should have been).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
A good day out yesterday despite the problems with 55022. RSG was on one engine due to apparently coolant in the oil. Topped Shap at just below 20mph on one engine with 11 coaches and dead 57601 on the rear.

After Carlisle 57601 assisted from the rear and on the return 57601 was tucked inside behind 55022 (the best solution) I hope that the 40167 (and his helpers) can get RSG back to full health soon.

New organiser 'Retrorailtours' were really good and well organised. For a first railtour I have to say I was really impressed with the way the tour ran. Attentive stewards, regular rubbish collections, Hand pumped beer in the buffet, Retro tickets(?!) to name a few features.

Photos at http://www.nedchester.com
 

metrocammel

Verified Rep - Retro Railtours
Joined
11 Aug 2005
Messages
954
New organiser 'Retrorailtours' were really good and well organised. For a first railtour I have to say I was really impressed with the way the tour ran. Attentive stewards, regular rubbish collections, Hand pumped beer in the buffet, Retro tickets(?!) to name a few features.

Photos at http://www.nedchester.com

Thanks very much! It went really smoothly, bar the Deltic's engine - which didn't cause any major timing issues. The stewards really worked hard, and by the time we reached Preston were absolutely 'cream crackered'! The real ales went down extremely well, as did the 'retro' tickets- next time I bet we will catch someone on a dodgy 'Area 22' ;).

personally i never doubted metrocammel.

Thanks for having faith in me, Paul!! ;)
 

rmt

Member
Joined
28 May 2006
Messages
557
Location
Doncaster, South Yorkshire.
Thanks very much! It went really smoothly, bar the Deltic's engine - which didn't cause any major timing issues. The stewards really worked hard, and by the time we reached Preston were absolutely 'cream crackered'! The real ales went down extremely well, as did the 'retro' tickets- next time I bet we will catch someone on a dodgy 'Area 22' ;).

Cracking day out had by all.. :)
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Blimey - I never actually thought it would run, no offence to anyone, I could just see a major farce on the day.

Out of interest, why didn't you think it would run?

Despite being up and down the train for the best part of 18 hours (and having had less than 3 hours sleep on Friday night), I enjoyed the day - there was a good crowd on board with no major problems regarding behviour, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.
 

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
Out of interest, why didn't you think it would run?

So many railtours get cancelled nowadays, and it is tricky, especially for a first time company. I guess I was remembering Spitfire's first few attempts. I am not in anyway upset that it run, and I wish Retro Railtours the best of luck in the future.
 

FBT

New Member
Joined
8 Aug 2008
Messages
4
I see Mintona's point here and we were viewed by many people in the same eyes when we did the Doncaster PSB Charter. However that said, the tour ran and did very well indeed.

Well done to you at Retro, being fully aware of just how difficult the process is from plan to execution, I know what a challenge it is.

Good luck with the other tours too!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top