• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Regular Steam Trains between Lowestoft and Norwich/Ipswich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
I heard today that there were apparently plans for a regular steam hauled service between Norwich/Ipswich and Lowestoft, But upon searching the internet, I failed to find any info and was wondering if anyone on here had any information on it?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NLC1072

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
650
Location
Ireland/London
I heard today that there were apparently plans for a regular steam hauled service between Norwich/Ipswich and Lowestoft, But upon searching the internet, I failed to find any info and was wondering if anyone on here had any information on it?



wow, that I would love to see! Hope it isn't rumours!
 

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
Yes, apparently it was to boost tourism in Lowestoft and planned to start this summer?
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
This seems a little unlikely. Who and what would be operating it?

Is there even the paths to run such a service, especially up the East Suffolk line?

More over how would it work operationally. I can only assume such a service would be T&T given the difficulties (impossibility?) of running round.
 

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,868
Location
Rugby
First I have heard about this. Nothing in any of the railway media I have seen. Seems unlikely.
 

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
This seems a little unlikely. Who and what would be operating it?

Is there even the paths to run such a service, especially up the East Suffolk line?

More over how would it work operationally. I can only assume such a service would be T&T given the difficulties (impossibility?) of running round.

I would presume that it would arrive at the terminus, shunt out of the station into the sidings, run around in the sidings, shunt back into the station.
 

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
It was reported in the Lowestoft Journal today about this, it's a short to medium term plan to boost tourism and regenerate Lowestoft. Also Included in the plans was the possible relocation of Oulton Broad North railway station.

EDIT: Story can be found here: http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/the_road_to_a_bright_future_in_lowestoft_1_1979658

Plans for a new Bascule Bridge and proposals to end long-standing traffic problems at Oulton Broad North station form part of an ambitious package of measures to rejuvenate Lowestoft, The Journal can reveal.

Improving flood defences, creating new park and ride sites and launching new steam train services to boost tourism are also among the objectives of an 83-page transport and infrastructure prospectus which aims to revive the town’s economic fortunes and attract “jobs and business to Lowestoft”.

However, a new third crossing for the town remains a distant hope.

Drawn up by Waveney District Council and Suffolk County Council, along with public and private sector partners, the new prospectus sets out plans to ease congestion through key road and rail improvements; increase the capacity of the port; protect homes and businesses from flooding; and stimulate development.

With a slogan of “Moving Lowestoft Forward”, the document contains a number of key objectives, which are classified as short term (one to five years), medium term (five to 10 years) or long term (10+ years) proposals.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
I took great pleasure in trying to work out how to turn a steam hauled set on the routes clearly devised by people with not even a basic understanding or railways.

At Lowestoft I think there is enough track in the yard to shunt out, run around and then shunt back in. Easy.

Norwich I think the easiest way they could do it would be to propel the set into the Crown Point reception roads, run round there and then propel back into the station. Difficult given distance to propel and amount of track it would tie up.

Ipswich I think would be nigh on impossible. The only way I could see it done is the train arrives in P4, loco runs towards London until the first signal to let it back into the station, runs back up and round via either P3 or the through line then reverses back somewhere near East Suffolk Junction into P4. Bearing in mind not only does that shunt move occupy the main line and leave P4 blocked with the amount of freight and passenger traffic I reckon it would be very very hard to do. Not to mind tight.

Then of course there is problem of steam locos running backwards for 50 miles, steam trains having to keep time on a very hilly route so to not interfere with the normal service trains. Just no.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top