• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recording Rail Journeys - Rail Routes

D869Zest

New Member
Joined
2 Feb 2026
Messages
1
Location
Winster, Derbyshire
Rail Routes is an Access Database I have written in the last year or so to record my UK rail journeys. I could find nothing available elsewhere that met my needs for recording such journeys and therefore set out on this project.

In particular I was keen to provide a log of all sections of track I have travelled (in detail), along with dates, timings, mileage, traction etc.

Included is mapping showing all lines in an area together with the amount of usage of each individual section of track. There are also charts showing accumulated mileage, mileage by fleet or operator, usage of stations etc. Then there are many listings including journeys by fleet, by operator, through a location and many more. I find it all fascinating.

It is relatively straightforward to use (please see the Guide). Entering journeys is usually easy although there are techniques to use. Mapping (adding locations and lines) is more tricky but quite achievable with a little care. It already has approaching 4,000 locations included – that is main line, metros, underground and heritage. Not everywhere in the UK is included but the user can add locations and lines.

I will be pleased to make this available at no cost to other enthusiasts for their use or just to see what I have done. I also provide a guide to the use of Rail Routes.

I am happy to answer questions, receive comments and resolve problems.

If you would like a copy of the Database and the Guide, please let me know at RailRoutesUK@gmail.com

Kind regards

John Hawkins
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshguy1048

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2023
Messages
2,338
Location
North Wales
Rail Routes is an Access Database I have written in the last year or so to record my UK rail journeys. I could find nothing available elsewhere that met my needs for recording such journeys and therefore set out on this project.

In particular I was keen to provide a log of all sections of track I have travelled (in detail), along with dates, timings, mileage, traction etc.

Included is mapping showing all lines in an area together with the amount of usage of each individual section of track. There are also charts showing accumulated mileage, mileage by fleet or operator, usage of stations etc. Then there are many listings including journeys by fleet, by operator, through a location and many more. I find it all fascinating.

It is relatively straightforward to use (please see the Guide). Entering journeys is usually easy although there are techniques to use. Mapping (adding locations and lines) is more tricky but quite achievable with a little care. It already has approaching 4,000 locations included – that is main line, metros, underground and heritage. Not everywhere in the UK is included but the user can add locations and lines.

I will be pleased to make this available at no cost to other enthusiasts for their use or just to see what I have done. I also provide a guide to the use of Rail Routes.

I am happy to answer questions, receive comments and resolve problems.

If you would like a copy of the Database and the Guide, please let me know at RailRoutesUK@gmail.com

Kind regards

John Hawkins
@D869Zest

Hi John

I have sent you an email.

Dave
 

Top