• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAIL article on West Highland line - howler!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchmaker

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
1,883
Location
Central Scotland
Quite a good article on the West Highland line in the latest LIAR. Unfortunately there are a number of factual errors, the worst being passenger numbers.

Statistics are given for a few stations including Tyndrum Lower which barely makes double figures annually. Jewel in the crown must be Helensburgh Central with 900,000 passenger journies per year.:D:D

Very impressive. They must be packing a lot of people into these 4 or 5 Class 156's daily.

However, as Helensburgh Central is actually the terminus of the North Clyde electric line I think they may have the wrong station............:roll:

I suspect the figures for the West Highland station of Helensburgh Upper may be rather less impressive :oops::oops:

Did the writer of the article actually research it?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2008
Messages
2,019
Location
birmingham
Quite a good article on the West Highland line in the latest LIAR. Unfortunately there are a number of factual errors, the worst being passenger numbers.

Statistics are given for a few stations including Tyndrum Lower which barely makes double figures annually. Jewel in the crown must be Helensburgh Central with 900,00 passenger journies per year.:D:D

Very impressive. They must be packing a lot of people into these 4 or 5 Class 156's daily.

However, as Helensburgh Central is actually the terminus of the North Clyde electric line I think they may have the wrong station............:roll:

I suspect the figures for the West Highland station of Helensburgh Upper may be rather less impressive :oops::oops:

Did the writer of the article actually research it?

Not being funny but if you call it LIAR and know they get it wrong and your clearly not satisfied why do you by it ?
I buy the magazine but only due to the fact I have nothing else to read some days.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Yeah, HLC is the North Clyde Terminus and that ticket usage is about correct. However HLU is on the WHL and has a slightly lower passenger useage of about 600. Mostly because it only gets 3 or 4 trains a day in each direction compared to the half hourly service just down the road.

I got these figures from wikipedia, so they're not hard to come by!

It may be that they're using figures for "Helensburgh Stations", which I imagine most if not all tickets will be sold to.
 
Last edited:

matchmaker

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
1,883
Location
Central Scotland
Not being funny but if you call it LIAR and know they get it wrong and your clearly not satisfied why do you by it ?
I buy the magazine but only due to the fact I have nothing else to read some days.

Who said I bought it? :roll:

Chill out a bit :D
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,419
Location
Yorkshire
You can't accurately get stats for Helensburgh Central/Upper because tickets are issued to Helensburgh Stations. Any attempt to split them will be guestimates at best and probably based on the assumption that anyone going eastbound from Hellensburgh uses the EMU services, however I know if I lived half way up that hill I'd try to get a diesel service back from Glasgow if there was one at a suitable time!

Who said I bought it? :roll:
Technically no-one did!;)
 

matchmaker

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
1,883
Location
Central Scotland
You can't accurately get stats for Helensburgh Central/Upper because tickets are issued to Helensburgh Stations. Any attempt to split them will be guestimates at best and probably based on the assumption that anyone going eastbound from Hellensburgh uses the EMU services, however I know if I lived half way up that hill I'd try to get a diesel service back from Glasgow if there was one at a suitable time!


Technically no-one did!;)


I browsed in Tescos :oops::oops::oops:
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
I'm gueeing the stats available for Upper are (due to those to-from the west being to "Helensburgh Stations") only for journeys to stations further up the WHL?
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I'd imagine so. As Yorkie says, no tickets are available from HLU station. There is one outward and one return service which are both timed well enough to be a commuter service, which I'd imagine brings more than 1 passenger a day to the station!

The only way to accurately tell this would be to go to the stations and count the people getting on and off the train. I believe There is also passenger counting equipment on the 156s which would give Scotrail an indication, but these aren't published as official figures.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
The only way to accurately tell this would be to go to the stations and count the people getting on and off the train. I believe There is also passenger counting equipment on the 156s which would give Scotrail an indication, but these aren't published as official figures.

Yes, but you'd want to do this continously for ages- rather than the Beeching-era method of turning up on a wet Tuesday in the school holidays...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top