• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnanbiju

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
central london
Hi

13 Aug I travelled from Maze Hill to Kensington. However, I purchased the ticket only from London Bridge to Kensington. Using 16-17 railcard. However I already have a 26-30 railcard. But I didn’t use it. The officer caught me in the London blackfairs station and took my details. However, I moved to a new property 13 Sep. Until that I didn’t receive any letter from the Thames link. Yesterday (11/10/2024) one of my previous flatmates informed me that they have received a letter under my name. I collected it and it was from the Thames link prosecution. However the date of the is 20/092024. They have mentioned that I have to reply it within 14 days. But it’s already 22 days gone. The letter doesn’t have my full name. And Iam currently living in a new property. Please can someone advise me what should I do next?

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,839
Location
SW London
Confused. How were you able to use a 16-17 railcard if you only have a 26-30 card? (do you mean you selected the wrong card on the menu when you bought the ticket?).
Does the letter mention the ticketless Maze Hill to London bridge leg or only the London Bridge to Kensington leg during which you were stopped, and for which you had a ticket, but the wrong fare was paid?
If you have evidence that you were unaware of the letter, (or at least its content) until after the 14 days specified in the letter, you should let them know as this may be accepted as a valid reason for not responding in time. (You may need to provide proof that the address was correct when you provided your details, but that you were no longer resident there when the letter was sent - if your flatmate informed of of the existence of the letter by email, or something else with a date, that will help).
 

adnanbiju

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
central london
Actually I used the incorrect railcard to get the tickets. When I am purchasing that journey I put London Bridge to Kensington rather than Maze Hill to Kensington. I had to get off from London blackfairs station. However, the tickets that I got didn’t have London blackfaires to change the train. So basically I got down from the wrong station. That’s why it didn’t allow me to get out from the station when I was using the tickets.
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,133
Can you please post the letter you have received, with any identifying features hidden (including reference number) so that we can help you. I'll admit I'm still a bit confused as to what you did tbh, other than the fact that you used the wrong railcard.
 

adnanbiju

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
central london
This is what I received. I’m scared now and don’t know what to do. Will this be a criminal offence?

Mod note: attachments removed due to multiple types of PII in plain view. The important part is the reply in a later post, so redacted version not necessary.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
Have you sent the reply we can see a section of in the second image?
 

adnanbiju

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
central london
Not yet. Because I received it yesterday night and I wrote it today.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Please help me with this. I am planning to send this today. Shall I do it and contact them on Monday via telephone to explain the situation
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
It won't make much difference if you delay sending till Monday - I very much doubt GTR will be concerned about the late reply if you have provided an explanation. As they say "any appeal must be made in writing" I don't think you need telephone as well.

GTR are also generally willing to settle without going to court, so long as you co-operate (as you are doing). You will have to pay for the journey you made, plus an admin fee. If you have cheated before they will discover this from your travel history, and ask you to pay for those trips too.

If you post the full text of your draft letter here we may be able to suggest some alterations/additions that will help your case.

It would also be helpful if you would tell us which of the Kensington stations was shown on the ticket (or was it to a "Zone"?).
 

adnanbiju

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
central london
Actually I don’t those tickets at the movement and I purchased those tickets as a guest. I don’t create an account. I just explained what actually happened and apologised for the inconvenience. Then I mentioned my new address as well. The destination was Kensington town.
 

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi.

In your first jpeg in post #5, you've left your name showing. It would be a good idea to cover that up, to keep this anonymous for you.
 

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
I would wait a bit longer so that the forum experts can have a look at what you're saying.

I can't find a station called Kensington Town, is that definitely the name of your destination?
 

adnanbiju

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
central london
It is Kensington Olympia.

Could any expert advise on this

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Please someone help me to solve this issue. I know it’s my fault. But I don’t want to struggle bcz of this now. I can’t do anything because of this issue now. Always thinking what to do next. Once they caught me I didn’t use that tickets. I used my contactless card to travel.

I don’t know where my tickets are now. I’m stressed out.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

This is the reply that I wrote

(Attachment removed due to containing full address)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,839
Location
SW London
Still not sure what you mean by having "used" a 16-17 railcard. Do you mean you selected the wrong card fronm a menu on the machine?

If I understand correctly, you also selected the station you changed at rather than your starting station. Easily done - I recentky did the opposite, selecting the ultimate destination of the train rather than the station I was going to get off at!"
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
It is Kensington Olympia.

This is the reply that I wrote
Thanks.

It will help your case if you write the letter again to make it easier to read (if you can access a printer, even better, but your handwriting is clear enough). Something like:

Dear Sir/Madam

Paragraph 1: I apologise for not replying on time, as I have changed address.
My address is now ..... .

Paragraph 2: I apologise for not having the correct ticket when I was stopped (don't mention the railcards). I know this was wrong, and train companies lose a lot of money when people cheat like this. (I have not done this before and) I promise not to do his again.

Paragraph 3: I would be really grateful if you would agree to settle this without going to court. I realise I will need to pay the fare plus your administrative costs.

Put this on a separate sheet of paper but make sure you include the reference number so they know who you are :)

Hope this helps!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,378
Thanks.

It will help your case if you write the letter again to make it easier to read (if you can access a printer, even better, but your handwriting is clear enough). Something like:

Dear Sir/Madam

Paragraph 1: I apologise for not replying on time, as I have changed address.
My address is now ..... .

Paragraph 2: I apologise for not having the correct ticket when I was stopped (don't mention the railcards). I know this was wrong, and train companies lose a lot of money when people cheat like this. (I have not done this before and) I promise not to do his again.

Paragraph 3: I would be really grateful if you would agree to settle this without going to court. I realise I will need to pay the fare plus your administrative costs.

Put this on a separate sheet of paper but make sure you include the reference number so they know who you are :)

Hope this helps!
Good idea to clearly state the old address and the new one so they can match the records up. And included number.

Iirc the thameslink prosecution dept be mail address can be used for sending change of address details. But possibly not much else.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top