• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential prosecution High Wycombe to Wembley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston87

New Member
Joined
4 Jun 2025
Messages
2
Location
High Wycombe
Hi all,

I'm really hoping I can get some advice please.

I got the train from High Wycombe to Wembley Stadium but was in a rush and was going to get a ticket on the train.

I was not able to connect to the Internet and get a ticket straight away. I don't use the train very often and usually buy a ticket at the station when I do so my knowledge of Trainline is limited.

By the time I was able to get a ticket it changed the station to Denham without me knowing how to change it back and was not able to actually get the ticket until I got off at the station as the Internet was not connecting.

I spoke to the guard who said that because I got it on the station I was defrauding the railway and would be penalty fared.

This is where I really messed up because I said I was travelling from Denham after visiting a friend. I was nervous and instead of saying the truth I doubled down.

I did also purchase a fare from High Wycombe to Wembley as soon as I was able and understood the app but I'm worried about prosecution and a criminal record.

I know there's nothing I can do u till I receive a letter in the next 6 months but I just wanted to understand what I should do next when I receive it. 6 months is a long time to wait.

Thanks in advance,

Mat
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,233
From the advice which expert forum member @Hadders gives in cases such as this, adapted for your circumstances.

Travelling without a valid ticket is a criminal offence and the Train Operating Company are entitled to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court if they want to. Generally speaking most Train Operating Companies are normally reasonable to deal with and will normally offer an out of court settlement in cases like this as long as you co-operate with them, and haven't come to their attention before.

I suggest a short, concise reply that mentions:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

If you are offered an out of court settlement expect to have to pay the outstanding fares at the full Anytime rate, with no credit given for the invalid tickets you purchased in addition to an admin fee, typically £150. The train operating company will search your online ticket purchasing history to see if you have done this before and if this indicates you have done this before they will factor in the cost of these journeys into the settlement fee.

Paying a settlement might feel like paying a fine but technically it isn't. Only a court can impose a fine as a punishment upon conviction so you don't want to pay a fine, you want to pay a settlement!

Please post a redacted copy of the letter from the TOC in this thread, along with your draft reply, and forum members will proof read it for you.

Do not use AI to write the letter as such letters invariably sound insincere.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,274
Welcome to the forum

Did you get issued with a 'Penalty Fare' at the time you were stopped. Unlikely that you will get issued with one, in the post, after the event. Possible that you will instead be reported for prosecution, which could prove slightly more expensive to resolve. Have you been issued with any paperwork, or your name and address taken?

Moot point whether the High Wycombe to Wembley Stadium ticket purchased after having travelled will be deemed as you having paid the fare due and may get asked to pay at the higher Anytime Day Single rate.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Winston87

New Member
Joined
4 Jun 2025
Messages
2
Location
High Wycombe
Did you get issued with a 'Penalty Fare' at the time you were stopped. Unlikely that you will get issued with one, in the post, after the event. Possible that you will instead be reported for prosecution, which could prove slightly more expensive to resolve. Have you been issued with any paperwork, or your name and address taken?

They took a picture of my driver's licence. I wasn't issued any paperwork. So I assume I will receive a prosecution letter in due course. It's unfortunate but my error. There was no desire on my part to defraud the railway, so just wanted to demonstrate that by buying the correct ticket when I was able. I understand that I'll most likely have to pay again on top of the fine. I'd just like to avoid a conviction in all honesty.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top