STEVIEBOY1
Established Member
- Joined
- 31 Jul 2010
- Messages
- 4,001
Plus two or three miles of tube tunnel and at least one underground station !! OK I know 38 stock ran above ground too, but to create the genuine 38 stock experience ...!!
There is the unused or rarely used Holborn to Aldwych Branch of course, that is underground, could use old stock and prob has 4th rail.
(I Understand at one time in the evenings they did run through trains from Aldwych toward Cockfosters, there was, or still maybe, a connection and an extra through connected unused platform at Holborn, these trains were put on to take people from and to the nearby London Theatres. What a good idea if that link could be reinstated and the line extended southbound from Aldwych, under the River to Waterloo, and perhaps beyond to parts of South London that is not connected very well to the LUL Network. Amongst other things, it would provide a much needed direct underground link from Waterloo to Kings Cross St. Pancras.)
The DMU services at Llangollen are generally well used. I have to agree with you though, I have spent several weekends this year crewing almost empty diesel-hauled trains and watching packed steam-hauled trains crossing us. A railway that wants a healthy turnover needs a core steam service. Diesel groups, if they play their cards right, can fit in round the edges, especially if they present a friendly face to punters and provide varied traction for special events.