• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possibility of my computer has been hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
These do make me laugh but i can see how people may get suckered in to doing what they say.. No one will ever ring you up and disucuss whats wrong with your computer unless its yoru mate and your email account is sending phishing emails.

Use avast - its free and not as big to use as avg and is much better.

But in addition i like to use this http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (download it THEN update it) as an extra precaution as not every anti virus will find every thing on there..


And if you get a call again blow a whistle at them
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
I hate cold calling full stop especially when it is Barclays cold calling me. They cold call me then expect me to "pass" their security checks by asking questions relating to my account. I usually tell them politely to **** off :D

what makes you think it is Barclays?!

For the computer people, I usually try to get then to tell of what OS I use (actually Linux), then pretending to follow the instructions which of course fail if you're not using Windows.

Deliberately answering completely different questions is fun too :)
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
what makes you think it is Barclays?!

Well there is the point, how do I know? Which is why I tell them politely to **** off. When I had Barclays Fraud department ring me I made a point of ringing them back to confirm it was indeed them (there was no fraud however but it's good to see them on the ball)


For the computer people, I usually try to get then to tell of what OS I use (actually Linux), then pretending to follow the instructions which of course fail if you're not using Windows.

Deliberately answering completely different questions is fun too :)

I did something similar when I had a failed hard drive. I knew it was a failed hard drive but the agent insisted on following their script so I just told them what they needed to hear so I could get a replacement :)
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
This scam has just been mentioned on my local radio station's 17:00 news - they have been targeting the local area - Trading Standards are investigating.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
These do make me laugh but i can see how people may get suckered in to doing what they say.. No one will ever ring you up and disucuss whats wrong with your computer unless its yoru mate and your email account is sending phishing emails.

Use avast - its free and not as big to use as avg and is much better.

But in addition i like to use this http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (download it THEN update it) as an extra precaution as not every anti virus will find every thing on there..


And if you get a call again blow a whistle at them

Sorry to bump further but i will say that this is an excellent service, throughly recommended and exceptionally effective at removing viruses, or worse, trojans.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top