• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: Pendolino vs Evero: travel experiences and preferences?

Which WCML InterCity rolling stock do you prefer?

  • Class 390 'Pendolino'

    Votes: 78 67.2%
  • Class 805/807 'Evero'

    Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Undecided

    Votes: 7 6.0%

  • Total voters
    116
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,715
Location
Burgess Hill
Quite frankly, I'm a fan of either.

I enjoy the tilt on a Pendo (if I've not had a bit to drink!) and I enjoy the lighting of a 390 and they've always felt more "cosy".

But, the openness of a west-coast IET combined with Avanti's choice of seats and their powerful air conditioning means I can greatly enjoy a journey on one of those too. I think someone else's comment of the Pendos having a "slow cook" mode is quite accurate!

For me, the most annoying thing about the WC IETs is how loud the announcements are, and also how poor the manual ones can be. They've gotten past the echoing and feedback loop problem from when they were first introduced, at least.

I can say I prefer the 805/807 1st class seating to that of the 390s, too, but I do agree with others about the actual ride quality being worse. The lack of tilt does seem noticeable, but I find both units will be bumpy and shaky. My main concern is glasses, bottles, food going flying across the aisle, but it's not like I've never seen that happen on a 390 either.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,342
A Class 86 with early Mark 2s (pre-aircon) would be my "modern-ish" favourite. After that, always a 805 or 807 in preference to a 390. Yes, the Pendo's perform well, but I find them much too claustrophobic to really enjoy them.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,885
Location
Cambridge
OK, you've twisted my arm and I've voted for Evero even though I'm not a big Avanti user and will readily admit to belonging in the "all modern trains are the same" camp. My only experience so far was an 807 COV - BHM a couple of months back but yes, the interior is more spacious, it's more like a 'proper' train and it's a refreshing break from that Branson airline stigma which the 390s will carry until their withdrawal.
Disappointed in you ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top