• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plzeň to Prague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,795
Location
UK
I will be travelling from Plzeň to Prague next month (October) on a Sunday. My flight from Prague is around 6pm, and I'll have stayed the night in Plzeň, so I have most of the day really.

Does anyone have any suggestions for routes or particular services that would be worthwhile considering? Will there be any "Grumpys" or similar out and about?

I'm presuming it would be poor value to use an Interrail day on this - I have a pass that I could use.

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
Unit to Plasy for the Pivovar opening at 1100, fast taxi/bus to Kralovice for the KZC back to Praha (may not run next year beyond Rakovnik)

Can probably make sure it’s 751(/749, but 033 largely lives on that train) and not the 740 before on the sheets before committing too.

Oh, didn’t read the 1800 flight, ignore - none of the tourist trains get back in time
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,986
Location
Airedale
Don't know if the connections work, but Plzen-Beroun-KZC to Rakovnik-thence to Veleslavin for an airport bus should be possible.

There's also the Blatna one run by CD.

Or if you want a 754 and open windows, the 0700 Plzen-Zelezna Ruda, returning on the 1040ish semi-fast (754 but aircon!) would be a decent option (and might be worth a day of Interrail).

Check for engineering works of course :(
 
Last edited:

Zamracene749

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2005
Messages
919
Location
East Durham
Personally, I'd go back via Ceske Budejovice. That way you can enjoy a last run in normal service behind an electric 242 locomotive with proper opening window stock before this route goes to EMUs. It's a pleasant enough journey too.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,795
Location
UK
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will have arrived from Vienna via Brno and České Budějovice the previous day, so I may go for the Železná Ruda option. I've also had the Tábor–Bechyně branch recommended to me, which I'd like to see if I can incorporate on either day.

I was originally planning on taking a Rožmberk service throughout from Brno, but there are engineering works around Třebíč, so I'm thinking of going via Havlíčkův Brod instead for that part.

Decisions, decisions...!
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,013
I will have arrived from Vienna via Brno and České Budějovice the previous day, so I may go for the Železná Ruda option. I've also had the Tábor–Bechyně branch recommended to me, which I'd like to see if I can incorporate on either day.

I would highly recommend Tábor–Bechyně.

A branch line run with a locomotive hauling two carriages and running round at each end is a novelty itself these days - the 1.5 kV centre-cab locomotive and 4 wheel coaches (DMU trailers) even more so. (I think there is a chance of a DMU replacing the normal train, but this isn't common).

Then there's the road running over the bridge at the end.

And, although the scenery isn't exactly spectacular, I found it quite pleasant particularly being able to sit at the back with a big window (even though the bench seat there has its back to the window, unlike the older bogie DMU trailers that CD used to have).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top