• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plymouth Route Screens & Status update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
Hi everyone,
Its been a while since I posted anything. I am just starting to get back into running BVE trains again and have been enjoying the recent updates on the Edinburgh-Aberdeen Route. However, the other evening I downloaded the updates for the Plymouth route and have very mixed feelings about it, pretty much as you all have expressed in this thread.

Firstly, I have to say that the upgrade is very good. I didn't like the earlier version. However, I like much of the scenery, the animals in the fields, and the overall colouring of the scenes. The Tamar Bridge is very good too, albeit suffering from the usual resolution restriction used by BVE, which makes the structure look a bit chunky. However, I'm afraid the curveture of the track really let it down.

I don't know the route as I have not been further down that way than to Teighnmouth and Kingswear, but from my years of railway experience. photos and films I have seen I have a good idea of what it should be like, considering HST's run over the route. This west country route isn't that much different from Dundee to Aberdeen and trains run nicely over Don's Edn-Abd route, which has many speed restrictions.

From the visual experience I would say that the maximum speed should be no more than 35mph! Even 40 felt too much for the very tight curves and when I tried running up to 60 mph the train was lurching all over the place. Surely the programmed trackwork is too tight! and needs stretching and lengthening out a bit! At one point I wondered if the track had been set for 'narrow guage'!

I can't get the DMU to look correct and suffer 'blue screen', and used the HST for the initial run. I felt that the only train I have that would be right for the route, as it stands, is the 153 and will add that for my next run over the route. But without sorting out the curves i'm afraid this undo's the hard work put into the update. I assure you this is not meant to be a criticism, simply how I find the route and would be happy to see the trackwork looking better. I shall look forward to any further updates with interest

Sincerely.

BillEWS.
 

Boxcars

Member
Joined
24 May 2006
Messages
220
Location
Cambridge
Hi Chris,

I've just looked at Bill's public profile and I see that he's a retired train driver. :notworth: How cool is that? :notworth: But I agree with Bill. He, like me and others, would like to see the trackwork sorted out. The bends are really too tight for the speeds. I also, like Bill, do not want to seem critical because I've followed, and enjoyed this route :headbang: since its early days as you know. I would just really like your route to be more driver friendly and would like to see it flourish :flower: like I'm sure it will. :glasses7:

Keep up the work on this route ;) please :drunken:

Apologies for the over the top use of smilies but I like them :thumbup:
 

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
Hi Boxcars,
The nicest part of being a train driver is now that I am retired. Now, that's 'cool'. However, I was pleased to read that you too give comment by way of constructve criticism. As we enjoy BVE through the hard work of the route and train authors it would be disrespectful to simply knock their work and any error just for the sake of it.

After discussing the updated route with Eezzypeezy he too has been in touch with Richard and given him some pointers on where he has gone wrong and how to correct them so I am sure we shall see another update before long. It would appear to have been caused by using the wrong coding for the curves as well as for distances between stations. A time consuming job to put right, I suspect, but as I say, I am sure we shall see the improvements before long.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Kittybrewster Memories

http://www.theatreorgans.com/hammon...rewster (new)/welcome Kittybrewster (new).htm


Fotopic Web Site
http://billreid678.fotopic.net
 

leezer3

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2006
Messages
121
Location
Cornwall/ Norwich
Its Chris, not Richard, but still :p
Yes, the curves are being worked on ATM; Its not an easy job, as they need easing, and extra length added to make up for the easing. Current progress is just past Devonport station, so a heck of a long way to go yet ;)
I'll stick up some sort of a running public beta as & when I get out towards Saltash, as this is where the main distance additions are coming in.

Knock right away if you want to- I really don't mind. I've sat through far too many flamewars in my time to be bothered by someone saying its crap. This route is moving onwards, and improving for those who appreciate it :)

Cheers all.

Chris Lees
 

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
Hi Cris,
Apologies for getting your name wrong. However, its good to know that you are working on the changes and look forward to your next update.

Chees.

BillEWS.
 

Boxcars

Member
Joined
24 May 2006
Messages
220
Location
Cambridge
This route is moving onwards, and improving for those who appreciate it :)

I never underestimate your efforts for a minute Chris. Thanks for keeping it going mate.

From one of those who really appreciates it.

Cheers,

Neil
 

Nat the Ned

Member
Joined
12 Sep 2006
Messages
251
Location
St.Austell
Knock right away if you want to- I really don't mind. I've sat through far too many flamewars in my time to be bothered by someone saying its crap. This route is moving onwards, and improving for those who appreciate it :)

Cheers all.

Chris Lees

Just some comments from previous postings in this thread.....

The Keyham Dockyard connection is still used.

The purple shunting loco is now located at Ernesettle, which is on the Gunnislake branch.

Ten minute waits at St.Budeaux Ferry Road are common, especially if Plymouth panel decide the train coming the other way is more important than you!!

And alot of the bends from Plymouth to Liskeard the linespeed is less than 60mph anyway. The only bit faster than that is the straight through Shillingham (or Wivelscombe) Tunnel, which is the only straight mile of track in Kernow.

Keep up the good work!!

n
 

leezer3

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2006
Messages
121
Location
Cornwall/ Norwich
The purple shunting loco is now located at Ernesettle, which is on the Gunnislake branch.

Ah, so is that the same one :) Hadn't realised, although that means its some awful industrial thing.
Work is still progressing- I'm trying to sort the trackwork & associated scenery just past Keyham ATM. For the updated version, I'm also substituting in the BVE4 HST; Probably should have been done earlier, but I think should make the ride a little easier.
As always, this is a constant WIP- I've squashed a few more odd bugs, and meddled a bit more with object positioning & texturing. The no trespass boards are on the list to be dealt with, but some of that is the fault of undersized passengers ;) - Anyone have any spare textures?

Cheers

Chris Lees
 

dennis63uk

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2005
Messages
146
Location
Eccles, Greater Manchester
Anyone else get errors in this route as i seem to get loads here.C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(768) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;-40;5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(773) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;-40;5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(777) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;-40;5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(780) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;-40;5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(837) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;20;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(837) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;45;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(838) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;20;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(838) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;45;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(839) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;20;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(839) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;45;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(841) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;20;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(841) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;45;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(842) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;20;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(842) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;45;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(843) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;20;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(843) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;45;-5
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(978) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;35;-5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(979) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;35;-5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(980) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;35;-5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(981) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;43.5;-5;110
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(982) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;33.5;-5;85
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(983) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;31.5;-5;85
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(984) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;31.5;-5;85
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(986) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;34;-1.5;85
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(987) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;37;-2.5;85
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(989) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;37;-3.5;85
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(992) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;39;-4.5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(995) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;40;-5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(997) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;40;-6;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(998) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;40;-6;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(999) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;40;-0.5;90
C:\Program Files\mackoy\BVE4\Railway\Route\Plymouth- St Austell Demo\1980s\HST (Non-Stopping)- Liskeard.csv(1000) : Structure reference is not defined: Track.freeobj 0;138;40;-0.5;90
 

leezer3

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2006
Messages
121
Location
Cornwall/ Norwich
Nuts, my fault :( - One line seems to have been missed out of the release version somehow.
Its should just be a simple case of adding this to the end of the freeobject definitions in the offending file:
Code:
.freeobj(138) plymrb\buildings\lineside\terrace1.b3d

Will get this rectified in the next release- Trackwork has been re-tweaked up to St. Budeaux ATM, and I'm trying to get a bit of additional length in before the bridge currently, & it should be relatively soon.

Cheers

Chris Lees
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top