• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passenger locomotive services on North Tyneside loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveyg23

New Member
Joined
17 Dec 2024
Messages
1
Location
whitley bay
Hello

I grew up within walking distance of Monkseaton Station on the North Tyneside loop in the 1970s, when still operated by BR, and am sure I recall loco hauled passenger services running through. Does anyone have information on these? Where they were going? I assume they were some kind of summer special to Whitley Bay? Can’t imagine it was diversionary off the ECML. Any info on locos used?

I know there were loco services through Percy Main as the Norseman connecting with the Bergen ferry, but I thought they were over by the 60s. And I know of freight in the area, and into the Metro era (eg Rowntrees), but its specifically passenger loco services that puzzle me.

I have read somewhere once that at one time the Newcastle - London sleeper also started at Monkseaton. Again, early 70s, though I find that hard to believe.

Any info or recollections would be most welcome.

Dave
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

101DMU

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2023
Messages
8
Location
Co. Durham
Hello

I grew up within walking distance of Monkseaton Station on the North Tyneside loop in the 1970s, when still operated by BR, and am sure I recall loco hauled passenger services running through. Does anyone have information on these? Where they were going? I assume they were some kind of summer special to Whitley Bay? Can’t imagine it was diversionary off the ECML. Any info on locos used?

I know there were loco services through Percy Main as the Norseman connecting with the Bergen ferry, but I thought they were over by the 60s. And I know of freight in the area, and into the Metro era (eg Rowntrees), but its specifically passenger loco services that puzzle me.

I have read somewhere once that at one time the Newcastle - London sleeper also started at Monkseaton. Again, early 70s, though I find that hard to believe.

Any info or recollections would be most welcome.

Dave
The only locomotive services to operate on the North Tyneside loop were summer Saturday services mainly from Scotland. In addition, the occasional "Merrymaker" would also pay a visit as would irregular Charter Train workings.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
I’ve seen a photo of a pair of blue 25s double heading a rake of blue/grey Mk1s at Whitley Bay, can’t remember where I saw that photo now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top