• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington to Oxford Commute help?

s2000

New Member
Joined
30 Sep 2026
Messages
2
Location
London
I've been planning to commute from Paddington to Oxford on weekdays, 7.20 to Oxford in the morning, 16.32 to paddington in the evening. Usually over the last year, whenever I check on gwr, the tickets for these times have been £4.30 as long as I've checked at least 3 weeks or more in advance. I was able to do this for the month of September (booked near start of august) and for October (booked in start of September) Now I'm trying to buy tickets for November, but all the prices for the advance singles seem to have a higher baseline? Anyone know why, or was I just too slow and am I just out of luck now?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,290
@s2000. Welcome to the forum. I'd say that £4.30 is the absolute cheapest possible one-way Advance Single fare after railcard discount has been applied, if/when travelling between London Paddington and Oxford (with GWR). The next tier up is £9.30. By comparison, an Anytime Day Single would cost you some £31.40. Obviously, no guarantee as regards the availability of advance tickets, on a particular train, at a particular price point, if/when commuting. As an alternative, there *might* be cheap advances if travelling between London Marylebone and Oxford (with Chiltern).
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,465
Location
London
It's possible GWR have stopped offering lower tiers of Advance ticket on those trains. Just because something exists in the fares data is no guarantee they'll be available to buy, alas.
 

s2000

New Member
Joined
30 Sep 2026
Messages
2
Location
London
It just seems strange that I've seen this behaviour of the £4.30 tickets popping up when I look 3-4 weeks ahead consistently over the last couple months and now it all of a sudden it disappears, was curious if anyone else commutes the same and books similar tickets, or maybe I was just too slow and they've now all sold out. From what I've seen typically they don't keep cheaper fares to release later or anything in case of empty excess capacity?
 

Top