• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster travelcard query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leogilbert007

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2024
Messages
162
Location
Born under the Brixton sun
Hi all, relatively quick question.
I have a weekly anytime z1-3 travelcard on my 16+ TfL zipcard. If I want to travel from outside the validity (eg. East Croydon or a destination outside the zones entirely) what’s the cheapest way to get a return, for a journey from and back to my travelcard zones? I’m aware I can get a Boundary Zone ticket but wouldn’t I be charged a maximum fare for not tapping out? Some TVMs have options for “travelcard extensions” but I’m unsure how these work in practice.
TIA
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,732
Location
Slade Green
Hi all, relatively quick question.
I’m aware I can get a Boundary Zone ticket but wouldn’t I be charged a maximum fare for not tapping out?
TIA
No, if you tap in within the zones covered by your Travelcard, you don't have to tap out.

The Boundary Zone ticket is likely to be your best option if travelling beyond the area where Oyster is valid.

Within that area, it may be better to load some PAYG credit onto your Oyster card: just tap in and out as needed and you will be charged an extension fare for any travel beyond zones 1-3.
 

Leogilbert007

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2024
Messages
162
Location
Born under the Brixton sun
No, if you tap in within the zones covered by your Travelcard, you don't have to tap out.

The Boundary Zone ticket is likely to be your best option if travelling beyond the area where Oyster is valid.

Within that area, it may be better to load some PAYG credit onto your Oyster card: just tap in and out as needed and you will be charged an extension fare for any travel beyond zones 1-3.
Alright thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top