• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Origin of the word "Quilling"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset61

New Member
Joined
29 Aug 2025
Messages
2
Location
Minehead
Hi guys,
Many years ago I worked for BR as a Parcels Porter (Also a travelling Parcels Porter on the 2 till 10 shift) at Bristol temple Meads Station Dealing with passenger and parcels traffic.
Some of the porters actively sought out passengers to carry there luggage for tips which we called ' Quilling',
My question is does anyone know where the origin of the word Quilling came from? .
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,296
@Somerset61. Welcome to the forum. "Quilling" in the context given might have a similar meaning to 'treating'. Originally this was the practice of giving alcoholic bribes to influence voters!
 

Somerset61

New Member
Joined
29 Aug 2025
Messages
2
Location
Minehead
Already found an answer:
Known as 'quilling' at Paddington - where certain groups of Porters were allowed to act as 'quillers' but technically all other station staff were not ('technically' seems not to have been consistently applied in reality).
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,673
Location
The West Country
When I was a trainee in the 80s I received some harsh words from the station Chargeman for quilling. It was the platform staffs perk and not mine.
I’ve also heard it called “weaselling”.
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,577
Location
Surrey
Does anyone know if this use of "quilling" is ex-GWR terminology, or was it to be heard more widely across the network? I wonder why this expression came into use. Quilling as a term for making artworks out of rolled and glued pieces of paper would appear to have a long and venerable history.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,039
Location
Up the creek
It appears to be in the Oxford English Dictionary. I don’t have a subscription, so I can’t get beyond the fact that it has a meaning listed as ‘railways (1940s)’, which is much later than its spinning, textiles and music meanings, but earlier than its decorative arts one.
 
Joined
25 Aug 2019
Messages
499
Location
Lancaster
There's a piece in the Nottingham Evening Post, 23 October 1945, mentioning 'quilling.'

...."Porters at London’s main line railway stations are now, according to a stationmaster, earning a good deal more than the latter. If his computation is correct, porters must be to-day among the aristocrats of manual labour. Wages with overtime amount, says this authority; to somewhere between £5 and £6 a week, and tips bring in another £10 to £16. On this basis it seems that the big railway terminus porter’s job is now £1,000-a-year one, which is in startling contrast with pre-war conditions.
....Between £10 and £15 a week taken in tips from travellers embarrassed with luggage seems a lot, but according to the stationmaster above quoted the old 6d. or 1s. tip to the porter is a thing of the pre-war past. People are nowadays tipping—“quilling” is what the porters term it—in big silver and sometimes even in notes."
 

thesignalman

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
163
I’ve also heard it called “weaselling”.
The term probably varied by location. It was certainly "weaselling" at Kings Cross. We were even issued with a booklet making it very clear what we could and couldn't do, how we should dress etc. I only did it once, I found it neither remunerative or interesting.

John
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,702
Location
Hope Valley
The term probably varied by location. It was certainly "weaselling" at Kings Cross. We were even issued with a booklet making it very clear what we could and couldn't do, how we should dress etc. I only did it once, I found it neither remunerative or interesting.

John
It was ‘weaselling’ at Euston too.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,313
This is an interesting thread, especially the posts involving first hand experience.

Hoping people can clarify this rather basic question (I think porters for these sorts of roles no longer existed by the time I would have been travelling by train with luggage and passing through major stations)

So I am correct to conclude that railway employed porters were not permitted / or not encouraged, to take tips from passengers whose luggage they carried? And that this was the case in both big four days (hence the 1945 article) and indeed after nationalisation?

Yet there was some expectation on the part of passengers or some passengers that they should give a tip for such a service? Something that would not surprise me of course, in the way you might tip a taxi driver for example.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,039
Location
Up the creek
This is an interesting thread, especially the posts involving first hand experience.

Hoping people can clarify this rather basic question (I think porters for these sorts of roles no longer existed by the time I would have been travelling by train with luggage and passing through major stations)

So I am correct to conclude that railway employed porters were not permitted / or not encouraged, to take tips from passengers whose luggage they carried? And that this was the case in both big four days (hence the 1945 article) and indeed after nationalisation?

Yet there was some expectation on the part of passengers or some passengers that they should give a tip for such a service? Something that would not surprise me of course, in the way you might tip a taxi driver for example.

I think that many, possibly all, rule books had a rule forbidding the soliciting of tips and aggressively doing so was a serious matter. However, it was accepted normal practice that if a porter or other member of staff offered to help with luggage that they should receive a tip. Based on my reading I would think that there were subtle, unwritten rules about how much should be given in different circumstances. By the 1930s it seems that a tanner (old sixpence) was the general starting point for carrying a couple of bags and putting them up on the rack. “There you are, my man”. “Thank you, sir/ma’am.”
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,313
I think that many, possibly all, rule books had a rule forbidding the soliciting of tips and aggressively doing so was a serious matter. However, it was accepted normal practice that if a porter or other member of staff offered to help with luggage that they should receive a tip. Based on my reading I would think that there were subtle, unwritten rules about how much should be given in different circumstances. By the 1930s it seems that a tanner (old sixpence) was the general starting point for carrying a couple of bags and putting them up on the rack. “There you are, my man”. “Thank you, sir/ma’am.”
Thanks @Gloster that's helpful nuance around the distinction and makes sense in the wider context of the culture of tipping in the UK.

Probably been some social studies around all of this over the years!
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,245
Used to happen at Coach Stations for example Bournemouth. In the late 70s there was an old bloke (sorry cant remember his name) with a younger man who was to use an old fashioned term (for which I apologise if anyone is offended) simple and slightly physically disabled who acted as porters for tips (or as we called them nobbins). The younger mans name was Cliffy. I last saw him about 15 years ago near the Transport Interchange.

Different times.
 

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2014
Messages
3,272
Despite various management “initiatives” at KX, weaselling was common there in LHCS/early HST days and there was a seniority, and not based on rank either! I used to see it all happen just looking out of the office window which overlooked the station and platform 8 in particular.

Pullman arrivals were for the most senior weasellers and they used to stand on their own dedicated “pitch” until called forward by the car steward. He would open the door as the train arrived and stand in the gangway, holding his hand up and indicating with his fingers how many he wanted. The staff would then move forward from their pitches to assist the steward/passengers. The Steward often used to get a tip from the passenger anyway and, of course, the person weaselling would usually got a very decent tip from punters on Pullman trains.

In the Area Managers Offices we had two old messengers (ex Guards, long past retirement age) on the shift who also ran the reprographic room (two roneo machines and a big old photocopier which used coated paper). They were the only ones who were supposed to operate the kit in there.

However, they were senior men when it came to weaselling so when they were out on the platform, the form was that the room would be left open, we would go in there, do the copying or run off some forms off a roneo skin and put what we had done down on a piece of paper with our room number on it. When they came back, they would copy that into their log book as if it was their own work. Usually that meant that if we wanted any favours done, they would happily oblige!

At KX, as a youngster, I kept my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut. It was quite a railway education.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top