• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Railtour ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,866
Location
At my desk
Evening all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a bit of info.

I have a photo (old negative folm I scanned in over the Christmas period) of one of my trips to Inverness.

The photo shows two class 26s at Inverness D5300 and D5301. The time of day looks to be early evening.

I have narrowed it down to two possible months and years.

June 1993.
August 1991.

I suspect it is more likely to be June 1993.

Anyone with any ideas?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
If they were in green with original numbers I think it would've been 1993, they were painted green around then and occasionally worked the Kyle line I think.
What stock are they with?
Edit - I just found this photo taken by Pip Dunn on 18/08/93, they were about to work the 1235 Inverness to Kyle. Not sure if this was a last run on the line or the norm though.
Someone will know though.
The stock behind it is in LNER tourist colours, I remember going on that set the year after behind a 37, it had a class 101 DMU driving car at the other end converted to an observation car.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,866
Location
At my desk
If they were in green with original numbers I think it would've been 1993, they were painted green around then and occasionally worked the Kyle line I think.
What stock are they with?
Edit - I just found this photo taken by Pip Dunn on 18/08/93, they were about to work the 1235 Inverness to Kyle. Not sure if this was a last run on the line or the norm though.
Someone will know though.
The stock behind it is in LNER tourist colours, I remember going on that set the year after behind a 37, it had a class 101 DMU driving car at the other end converted to an observation car.

Flipping 'eck .....

That could be the same day almost. Yes they were at the head of the green and cream.

D5301 (26001) at Inverness, Scotland. by HE TSC, on Flickr

D5300 (26007) at Inverness, Scotland. by HE TSC, on Flickr
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Well look at that! I always kicked myself for not going up there that year and I went up in early 92 and summer 94. Ah well...
It looks to me like a blue and grey coach behind it. The trouble is it's at least 23 years ago now and it's not always easy remembering every detail I find.
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
They worked, or should have worked, one round trip on one day a week (Wednesdays?) to Kyle all summer.

Also, it was 26001/007, not 020 as above. That might have been around as backup, but I don't think it was green if so?
 
Last edited:

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,866
Location
At my desk
They worked, or should have worked, one round trip on one day a week (Wednesdays?) to Kyle all summer.

Also, it was 26001/007, not 020 as above. That might have been around as backup, but I don't think it was green if so?

Sorry, the locos were defo D5301, D5300 and I made an typo on the 26007 thing... now changed.

Well look at that! I always kicked myself for not going up there that year and I went up in early 92 and summer 94. Ah well...
It looks to me like a blue and grey coach behind it. The trouble is it's at least 23 years ago now and it's not always easy remembering every detail I find.
They were defo green/creams as I remember catching them in 1991 (our Honeymoon). The wife and I made a few trips up to Inverness in 1989, 1991, 1993. Then kids came long lol


Thanks for the help everyone ...
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
No problem, it was interesting, thanks to 87015 for filling in the details.
Beautiful line, I've only done it the once, will definitely do it again some time.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Yes they ran every Wednesday in Summer 1993 for about 6 or 7 weeks that year (apart from the Wednesday I went, having taken 3 days off work for it, when one of them was out of service and the other was failed just before departure with a faulty drivers door). Mind you, it was the only time I had 37404, so looking back, it was worth it... :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top