• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oddities of the English language?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Was ‘she’ a one-off? :lol:
Yes, I was a naive teenager who'd been set up - put it this way, I was off straight away, never to return. The lights were low, I was in a city I'd never been to before (Liverpool) and I couldn't believe the number of young 'blonde' females who appeared to be available. As they say, if something appears too good to be true.... :lol:
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Yes, I was a naive teenager who'd been set up - put it this way, I was off straight away, never to return. The lights were low, I was in a city I'd never been to before (Liverpool) and I couldn't believe the number of young 'blonde' females who appeared to be available. As they say, if something appears too good to be true.... :lol:

Sounds like a cock and ball story to me.
 

SteveP29

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2011
Messages
1,181
Location
Edinburgh/ Chester le Street
Regional variations can be confusing... when I moved to Taunton, new colleagues would say "oh, you just moved here... where's yours to?" which I couldn't even begin to comprehend... the clarification ("Your 'ouse, where's it TO?") didn't help either... My house doesn't go to anywhere! It took a few days for me to work out that Somerset folk, when asking for the location of anything, will stick a confusing and unnecessary preposition on the end!

That's Somerset for you, lived in Yeovil for 3 years myself and got confused so many times, even though my maternal grandmother was from just outside Dorchester and having holidayed down there every summer as long as I could remember, I never had a problem with their dialect and colloquialisms.
Saying that, I'm sure the people of Somerset were even more confused at my north eastern accent than I was of theirs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top