• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NRM donates T3 to Swanage

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
http://www.steamrailway.co.uk/steamnews/2017/3/30/national-railway-museum-gifts-t3-to-swanage

The National Railway Museum has donated the unique LSWR Adams 'T3', No. 563, to the Swanage Railway.

It was revealed in SR465 that the 1893-built 4-4-0 had been moved out its recent King's Cross base (where it had been starring in a stage adaptation of The Railway Children) although its destination could not be confirmed.

Swanage Railway Company chairman Trevor Parsons said: "We are delighted, thrilled and very grateful to the National Railway Museum for donating such a rare Victorian steam locomotive to the Swanage Railway.

"Thanks to the 'T3's' ownership being transferred to the Swanage Railway, we hope to suitably display the locomotive to the public and illustrate a period of important London & South Western Railway history that has previously not been possible. Our primary aim is No. 563's conservation and preservation.

A spokesperson from the NRM said: “We are delighted to gift the 'T3' class to the Swanage Railway as part of its growing collection and to have found such a suitable home for this locomotive.

“The Swanage Railway has an outstanding record for preserving and displaying items, something which is paramount to the museum, allowing the public to appreciate the locomotive and attract a new audience to Swanage on a railway steeped in 'T3' history.”

Members of the class used to work down to Swanage in steam days before they were replaced by the more powerful Drummond 'T9s'. All fifteen 'T3s' survived into Southern Railway ownership; No. 593 was the last to be withdrawn, surviving until 1948.

The Adams 4-4-0 escaped the cutter's torch when it was selected to take part in the centenary celebrations of Waterloo station, representing its pre-Grouping company.

Upon the closure of the exhibition, No. 593 was stored at Farnham electric carriage shed until it was transferred to Tweedmouth in 1958. It stayed there until a more permanent home could be found at the British Transport Commission Museum at Clapham, whereupon it became part of the National Collection.

It is understood that the 'T3' will be transferred from London to Swanage Railway by road in the near future.

I find it interesting that the NRM is donating quite a few items from its collection to other organisations at the same time as it's planning to build a 3rd museum to house it's exhibits. I know it costs a lot to upkeep so many items but it seems odd that they're taking them out of the National Collection altogether rather than just placing them on a long term loan.

Either way, it's great that the loco has a home and will be looked after and displayed to the public. Lovely looking machine and a great railway.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
http://www.steamrailway.co.uk/steamnews/2017/3/30/national-railway-museum-gifts-t3-to-swanage



I find it interesting that the NRM is donating quite a few items from its collection to other organisations at the same time as it's planning to build a 3rd museum to house it's exhibits. I know it costs a lot to upkeep so many items but it seems odd that they're taking them out of the National Collection altogether rather than just placing them on a long term loan.

Either way, it's great that the loco has a home and will be looked after and displayed to the public. Lovely looking machine and a great railway.
Will it run in service or just be on display?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
So the Northern Railway Museum gives away another artefact not in keeping with the Museums title. ;)
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
So the Northern Railway Museum gives away another artefact not in keeping with the Museums title. ;)

Ouch! :lol:

I'm guessing you need some sort of alternative Southern Railway Museum? The problem is, what would it exhibit? As we all know nothing of note was created in the south.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Ouch! :lol:

I'm guessing you need some sort of alternative Southern Railway Museum? The problem is, what would it exhibit? As we all know nothing of note was created in the south.

Double ouch! :lol:
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Ouch! :lol:

I'm guessing you need some sort of alternative Southern Railway Museum? The problem is, what would it exhibit? As we all know nothing of note was created in the south.

Its a good job I promised Yorkie I would behave! <D :lol:
 

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
Who do I have to buy a pint to get Flying Scotsman donated to my local preserved line? :P
 

Flying Phil

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2016
Messages
2,086
In the picture on the SR Website the locomotive does not appear to have a connecting rod.....is that to make sure it is not used on the line? Or is that to be rented out to the Swanage Railway later???
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I'd be very surprised if this ever ran again, I don't think it's steamed since the 1940s and I would assume that the NRM would consider it too precious to be taken apart. I don't know what others think?
If it is for display at Swanage where would they actually display it? The railway always seems to be a bit short on space to me.
 

Chris125

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
3,272
Location
Isle of Wight
I'd be very surprised if this ever ran again, I don't think it's steamed since the 1940s and I would assume that the NRM would consider it too precious to be taken apart.

Surely that would no longer be a decision for the NRM? I doubt a T3 is an ideal engine for the line but must be worth a check.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Surely that would no longer be a decision for the NRM? I doubt a T3 is an ideal engine for the line but must be worth a check.

Oh I misread that they'd actually given it them. As you say then it's their decision.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top