• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail yet again overcharging! ('Peak' ticketing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
One thing I wonder, although the tickets are presented sorted in ascending order of price is it possible for the default sort to be any other order? Also, could it be that a previous passenger had asked for the Anytime ticket and the guard just used the 'last fares' feature without thinking about it?
I wouldn't have thought many Wakey - Chapeltown tickets would be sold by a guard on an Airedale train into Leeds. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the only one sold on the journey.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

beeza1

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2012
Messages
384
A quick check on NRE Wakefield Kirkgate to Chapeltown is shown as Off Peak £7.60 return, that's even during the evening peak period.
I was under the impression the peak fares only applied if your start and finish points were in the same travel zone,(West York's, South York's, Greater Manchester, etc), but if you crossed into another zone it was still Off Peak.
I often travel from Huddersfield to Manchester during the so called peak period and only pay Off Peak fares, If I travelled to Leeds though I would have to pay for an Anytime Ticket.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,481
Location
Yorkshire
Absolutely; its easy to comprehend only some off peak day tickets have an evening peak period restriction.

As you say in west/south Yorkshire its generally only tickets wholly within the relevant area which are affected, with some exceptions, and its easy to check .

It's made very clear in the Code of Practice that checks should be made and the appropriate fare sold. Yet there are repeated breaches by Northern as witnessed by several forum members . if noone has yet asked ORR to investigate this concerning recurring problem I suspect nothing will change. ORR won't be proactive and northern are hardly going to ensure adequate training and checks are made if no-one makes them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top