The 'up to 8%' figure is probably referring to Southeastern who can increase regulated fares by RPI+3%.
Don't forget that Off Peak fares are unregulated shorter distance journeys so could see a larger percentage increase (I think it's RPI+5%)
The 8% figure varies in different media reports - some refer to it being Southeastern in particular, others just use the old 'if they are allowed to go up by more than RPI+1 it could be up to 8%'.
The fact that nearly all the papers use the same figures, and many quote the same Brighton annual season, suggests they're all singing from the same hymn sheet - I wonder who issued the press release?
On regulation though, you're possibly thinking of the shorter CDRs that became Offpeak. The other 'Offpeak' fares, the old longer distance Savers, are also regulated fares in large parts of the country.
Generalising about which fares are regulated and which aren't is a minefield, and it varies across the country.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Train tickets always seem low in the south east, even after inflation, but are large in comparison of season ticket price rises
An annual season ticket holder from Southampton to Waterloo pays around £20 a day, compared to an Anytime fare of about £50. I was amazed a couple of years ago to find when I needed to make just two peak trips to London in one week, a 7 day season was cheaper...
That poor old Brighton commuter's
rise of £216 (that all the papers are quoting) isn't going to bankrupt anyone, it's only about £1 per day assuming they never travel at weekends and have a few weeks holiday. I'd suggest the annual price is still quite a bargain when calculated on a daily basis, and compared to other options for daily travel from Brighton to London...