Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
It rolled off of Nicola Sturgeon's tongue at today's media briefing that the stay at home regulation will be in place until at least the end of March, and that she will update parliament regarding that tomorrow.
I hope that was a mistake and she meant the beginning of March.
It rolled off of Nicola Sturgeon's tongue at today's media briefing that the stay at home regulation will be in place until at least the end of March, and that she will update parliament regarding that tomorrow.
I hope that was a mistake and she meant the beginning of March.
If England is keeping it until the end of March, Scotland definitely will, as she's going for elimination which requires far harsher measures for far longer.
If England is keeping it until the end of March, Scotland definitely will, as she's going for elimination which requires far harsher measures for far longer.
We all know how elimination didn't work last year, so maybe she should drop that for a starter - its not her that is feeling the pain and suffering its the public at large but what does she care?
She can take a hike on waiting longer etc, its just comes across as the same approach she did back in lockdown 1 which was like a 3-4 week delay and longer to come out of.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
It rolled off of Nicola Sturgeon's tongue at today's media briefing that the stay at home regulation will be in place until at least the end of March, and that she will update parliament regarding that tomorrow.
I hope that was a mistake and she meant the beginning of March.
Yep. Boris Johnson caring so much about what the public think of him - for all the bad it does for him as a politician - has its advantages. Sturgeon could do with a small dose of it.
Yep. Boris Johnson caring so much about what the public think of him - for all the bad it does for him as a politician - has its advantages. Sturgeon could do with a small dose of it.
I think its just old age with Sturgeon, she must stress out daily doing the briefings and now Salmond breathing down her neck from afar it must really get to her, I wonder how she sleeps?, nah on second thoughts couldn't give a toss anyway, politicians/councillors are meant to serve the public not the other way round, the tide in Scotland will eventually turn and I can't wait for people to realise and wake up from this mess.
Politicians (some) in Scotland are just as bad as the UK - they don't care about the public in general its all about them and what COVID has proved its given them their own s..show and they are loving the attention but just like reality shows, it'll come to an end and come crashing down, just get the popcorn ready.
You're not going to hear much from Labour for another 5 days. Personally I think that might be a good time for the new leader to go in hard on the economic damage if we lock down for a day too long. Start sticking some nails in the coffin on how little was achieved by the delay reopening last summer and the like. I'm not necessarily holding much hope out on that though - on a UK level Starmer has been beyond dire the last couple of weeks.
I don't think Salmond is likely to stage a comeback tbh, and I don't personally think it would be an improvement. I'd certainly not be sad to see him wreck it for Nicola though.
You're not going to hear much from Labour for another 5 days. Personally I think that might be a good time for the new leader to go in hard on the economic damage if we lock down for a day too long. Start sticking some nails in the coffin on how little was achieved by the delay reopening last summer and the like. I'm not necessarily holding much hope out on that though - on a UK level Starmer has been beyond dire the last couple of weeks.
I don't think Salmond is likely to stage a comeback tbh, and I don't personally think it would be an improvement. I'd certainly not be sad to see him wreck it for Nicola though.
Starmer seems to want more lockdowns than anything else, yet I am surprised he is meant to be acting as opposition but would rather go along with it!
I doubt the new Labour leader in Scotland will stick the boot in (kicking ass) anyway it'll be more of getting stuck in more like! (i'll tag along).
I do think things between Salmond/Sturgeon is going to get messier (Ok maybe I was a bit OTT saying Salmond making a comeback) but I couldn't see him pushing things this far and I probably would guess he would tell Devi and the rest to stick it (again just opinion but who knows)
It rolled off of Nicola Sturgeon's tongue at today's media briefing that the stay at home regulation will be in place until at least the end of March, and that she will update parliament regarding that tomorrow.
I hope that was a mistake and she meant the beginning of March.
She has taken a copy of Boris's road-map and is carefully editing the dates to be 1 day earlier or 1 day later than England, maybe allowing groups of 7 instead of 6 etc
She has taken a copy of Boris's road-map and is carefully editing the dates to be 1 day earlier or 1 day later than England, maybe allowing groups of 7 instead of 6 etc
I see the England one has 4 steps, can we place a wager she'll go for 5 and either call it a level or tier(s) again or do we go all american and call it DEF-CON 1 etc lol
It rolled off of Nicola Sturgeon's tongue at today's media briefing that the stay at home regulation will be in place until at least the end of March, and that she will update parliament regarding that tomorrow.
Is anyone even bothering to stay at home? It all feels a bit pointless. The main frustration is the lack of things open so everyone is just congregating in the same places. I treated myself to a visit to B&Q at the weekend, and even visited two local authorities outside of my own. Don't tell Nicola.
Is anyone even bothering to stay at home? It all feels a bit pointless. The main frustration is the lack of things open so everyone is just congregating in the same places. I treated myself to a visit to B&Q at the weekend, and even visited two local authorities outside of my own. Don't tell Nicola.
the vibe I am picking up from people I speak to is they are just fed up of it all and want normality back, I think people are now sussing this out that all is not we all seem to believe (I know this is the Scottish thread but its in general with the rest of the UK).
Is anyone even bothering to stay at home? It all feels a bit pointless. The main frustration is the lack of things open so everyone is just congregating in the same places. I treated myself to a visit to B&Q at the weekend, and even visited two local authorities outside of my own. Don't tell Nicola.
In my neck of the woods (West Lothian) it's been really busy everywhere now the weather is better. Everyone has gone for walks in the same few places, because everything is shut and you can't travel any distance.
It seems incredibly stupid, because if you allow people to travel further, they'll spread out more and the risk will be lower. For example, the Borders has some amazing scenery that is more or less completely free of people all the time. Surely it would be much better walking there, where my chances of close contact with others are practically zero.
Is anyone even bothering to stay at home? It all feels a bit pointless. The main frustration is the lack of things open so everyone is just congregating in the same places. I treated myself to a visit to B&Q at the weekend, and even visited two local authorities outside of my own. Don't tell Nicola.
Indeed. When you look at prevalence of the virus in places like Edinburgh, it seems completely disproportionate for everything to be shut. People are doing everything they're able to, which given how everything is shut is quite limited.
Willing to be corrected but I take it to mean you shouldn't meet someone from household A, then go meet someone from household B, etc. No idea if that's actually enshrined in legislation either...
Some of the islands are still in level 3. I'd be incredibly surprised if there was any further loosening of restrictions until the end of March. Last week Ms Sturgeon was suggesting that holidays in Scotland "might" be possible this summer so no doubt we'll be loosening restrictions at an incredibly slow pace.
Pretty disheartening given I stay in glasgow where we've had enhanced restrictions since September...
I still think had Sturgeon imposed tougher restrictions (similar to that of Aberdeen in late July) in Glasgow in September, and had students not returned to accommodation, we'd be in a much better place right now nationally. The level 4 "firebreak" or whatever you want to call it was too late.
Alas, here we are. Notably our case rate is still lower than England which should really pave the way to a quicker exit from lockdown.
When the rules are too tight for too long, as has happened here, people will stop observing them in favour of their own personal “common sense” heuristic.