• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail- Operations career advice for internal applicant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
22 Aug 2021
Messages
12
Location
Hertfordshire
Evening all,

Looking for some advice on how I can progress within Network Rail as I seem to have hit a brick wall with applications, interviews and any form of support.

I have worked the last 5 years as a Crossing Keeper covering a handful of locations.

For the past 2-3 years I have been trying to get a job as a Mobile Operations Manager on my route and two other routes that are within a realistic distance of where I live.

Obviously I have made it known very clearly over the years to my LOM that I want to work in this role.

My LOM suggested the following in order to achieve this ambition:

1:Go out shadowing with the MOM’s on my route and asking them as much as possible about the role. (I’ve done this is on various routes many times)

2: They suggested I take my PTS course, which I did. (It took nearly a year to get me on one) and as far as I know I’m still a blue hat.

3: Suggested I learn the patches access gates myself in my own time. (I naively did so)

4: I would learn and gain competency to operate a ground frame and help out with shifts for wrong direction work when needed. (This never happened and hasn’t been mentioned again)

I am currently on application number 11 for MOM roles and have had just two interviews. Both on my route, LOM as hiring manager.

I understand for many there is an understanding that MOM roles used to go to signallers but on my route of the 12 MOM’s covering the patch only 3 were signallers before. The others were a mixture of maintenance, crossing keepers and external applicants with no railway experience at all.

Many were hired over me after a single interview and application.

I’ve also reached out via email to the career development team about interview advice or my other options outside operations but I haven’t had any response back.

With all that being said my questions are:

Should I continue to apply for any MOM jobs that come up? Do LOM’s typically reach out to other LOM’s about an applicant meaning I could potentially of been blacklisted in some way?

Is there any help I can receive from HR or even the RMT in regard to why others are being chosen over me each time?

What other jobs/areas could I look to apply for within Network Rail? Being a crossing keeper we don’t get to speak to many people nor really understand what is available to us in terms of career progression, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Apologies for the lengthy post but after years of trying I’m getting a little desperate.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
Have you ever asked for / received direct feedback after one of the unsuccessful interviews?
 
Joined
22 Aug 2021
Messages
12
Location
Hertfordshire
Have you ever asked for / received direct feedback after one of the unsuccessful interviews?
Yes I have for one of the interviews.

I was interviewed for a position on my route by a LOM from a different route.

The feedback was via a phone conversation and was very strange with comments like “I didn’t feel you wanted the position and you came across as very laid back” they also said the successful person had been assisting my LOM a lot more with their own EDS, something which I was shocked by as I didn’t think that was related to working as a MOM in anyway. The most shocking thing they said was “it’s not brown nosing but maybe help your LOM out a bit more” which again I didn’t know was a requirement for a MOM role.

The successful applicant of this particular job was someone who had been at network rail less time than me and worked in the same role as me. No signalling or emergency response background but previous rail experience abroad.

This is what has caused me to somewhat wake up a bit and doubt myself as to what is actually possible for me to achieve on the railway.
 

Supercoss

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2016
Messages
470
The hiring manager will be looking for transferable skills
What can candidate bring to the table ?

What does candidate know about ‘ Jesip ‘ “ set-ups” & fatality management ?
What experience does candidate have in incident management ?

Got PTS already - what‘s being done to get the necessary track hours in ( and documented) so learning level can be changed from probationary

i’ve sifted a few hundred applications for the best job on the railway, everyone wants to be a MOM but all I have is a C V, lots of them all with born ,went to school, did this did that , worked here, now doing this but what can candidate bring into the role that I can use as a manger ? What does candidate have that will make me look at a CV the second and 3rd time?
No good having a depot of moms who are all Ex signallers , a good mix of skills required
internal recruitment is all about transferable skills these days
Example of one Base I set up -Former s&t,former welder, former train fitter , former Pway Inspection, former Freight Shunter and former external forestry grounds worker. Between the six of them they feed off each others strengths and weaknesses
Work on the CV , ask hiring manager for a location visit before interview
The role is not for everyone
Good Luck
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top