• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My weird NFM06 find

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
I used to buy this ticket a lot:

Boundary Zone 4 to East Croydon

That way I could use fast Thameslink services from Farringdon with my purchased Zone 1-4 travelcard via East Croydon, and catch the first train back to Selhurst or Norwood Junction - unfortunately I did not know and was not enlightened I'd have liked a Croydon Stns to Farringdon Und season better and its a cheaper ticket.

anyway

on NFM, 0043 to 5355, 2 SDR fares are shown, Not London (2.90) and Any Permitted (3.40) .... what on earth does the Any Permitted let you do that the Not London does?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Never mind, I think I figured it out. It is possible to have a Zone 2-4 Travelcard Season, so would the 3.40 fare allow you to travel through zone 1 (say on the Thameslink service) whereas the 2.90 would not... ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
Perhaps that's it, but I don't know.

Don't forget that 'Boundary Zone' tickets allow people with non-seasons (ie. Day Travelcards) to not have to call at the station where they change from one ticket to another, but if you are using a season ticket, then you can use a ticket from a named station and the train does not need to call. There may be other benefits, such as a choice of route, but the train not needing to call benefit only applies to non-season holders as your season ticket means you do not have to call anyway.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
....Never mind, I think I figured it out. It is possible to have a Zone 2-4 Travelcard Season, so would the 3.40 fare allow you to travel through zone 1 (say on the Thameslink service) whereas the 2.90 would not... ?

I thought that at first, but it makes no sense. The FRPP (and I think the NFM before it) is specific in saying the tickets are for use from the outer most zone held on a ticket and if they don't have an inner zone that they would need another ticket to cover that.

For example, a passenger has a Zone R34 season and they are travelling from Mill Hill Broadway (Zone 4) to East Croydon (Zone 5). They would require a ticket from Cricklewood (Zone 3) to Honor Oak Park (or Herne Hill - both Zone 3) in addition to the Boundary Zone 4 to Croydon Stns ticket.

I can think of no reason for a 'not London' fare for this journey.
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
I can think of no reason for a 'not London' fare for this journey.

I assumed the 'Not London" ticket is the one I would buy, holding the Z1-4 travelcard, to allow me to travel via East Croydon.

Interestingly the "Not London" is priced by ATOC, the "Any Permitted" by Southern, so that makes me think they might be pricing a cross London flow on the WLL?
 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
From what I remember there a whole load of strange and inconsistent fares on the axis London - East Croydon - Gatwick. For starters on NFM05 there was a £10 Standard Advance single (Southern only) from East Croydon to Gatwick when the First Day Single (Any Permitted) is only £9.60.

I made a post about some of the other weird fares around a year ago here
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top