• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My idea to change Departure indicator monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hyphen

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
504
Location
Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
Looks like plans are afoot to improve things at MAN. Hopefully not precisely like this

Ohh, that's a beautiful looking departure board, even from a low-res picture. For that style of board (listed by destination) I think the bottom third looks best (alternating in colour).

Were you able to tell if that's LED matrix or LCD/TFT (i.e. some sort of TV/monitor sidewards)?

Agree with the 'TOC' thing though. Not sure that's entirely necessary on that sort of board. Also unsure why they'd refer to the franchise name ("Wales & Borders") rather than the TOC's actual name, as that's most likely to be printed on ticket validity/restrictions. If I had a say in it, remove the TOC entirely and space the rest out a bit better.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
As it says demonstration I'm giving NR or ATOC the benefit of the doubt for now, as it isn't finished. But I don't get why it even says TOC while on test.

Also Due makes me think these are arrivals, not departures. I guess they can't fit in Scheduled and Actual but I still don't think due is the correct word to use. I know they could at some stations be arrivals and departures (through train), but 'scheduled' works in all cases.
 
Last edited:

as1981

Member
Joined
26 Apr 2014
Messages
14
Could showing the operator (I agree TOC won't be understood by a lot of people) be useful in avoiding those with operator specific tickets getting the wrong train?
 

Hyphen

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
504
Location
Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
I'm pretty sure it's just a very well done cardboard mock-up!

That would explain why the font seems so nicely rounded/antialiased then, compared to the standard LED boards ;)

I was hoping at least for some sort of high-res LED to allow that sort of smoothing.

Ah well, I'll drop any hopes and presume it'll just be a standard board (albeit seemingly with multicolour LEDs?) then :P
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,719
Location
Scotland
Don't people with TOC specific tickets need to know who is running the train?
I don't think the objection was to having the field, just that 'Operator' makes more sense to Joe Public than 'TOC'.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
The landscape layout is probably better, and it shows better headings. But I do hate those screens that are in panels and break up some messages unnecessarily.
 

RailAleFan

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
337
Location
Midlands
Ohh, that's a beautiful looking departure board, even from a low-res picture. For that style of board (listed by destination) I think the bottom third looks best (alternating in colour).

It looks like that's partly what they're trying to asses with the thirds being the same info in white / yellow / alternating.

Personally, I don't think that fields of the same type (e.g. Destination) should be of different colours. As you visually scroll down the list, I have a feeling that the eye will be drawn to the next item in the list of the same colour, meaning that you are evens to miss the entry that you are looking for and then have to scroll "back up" if that makes any sense...
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,720
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I'm pretty sure it's just a very well done cardboard mock-up! Didn't have time to concentrate on a decent shot but here's the original unscaled / cropped.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/svjvuv.jpg

Crikey, the roof's got mucky, hasn't it? This always jumps out at me at Stansted Airport as well. Why can't we be bothered looking after public spaces properly? Were it in Germany or Switzerland it'd be spotless.

Neil
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
It looks like that's partly what they're trying to asses with the thirds being the same info in white / yellow / alternating.

Personally, I don't think that fields of the same type (e.g. Destination) should be of different colours. As you visually scroll down the list, I have a feeling that the eye will be drawn to the next item in the list of the same colour, meaning that you are evens to miss the entry that you are looking for and then have to scroll "back up" if that makes any sense...

I think you're right. These are the things picked up in usability testing, where eye tracking can be used very well to see how people look at things (like lists) and to design around the way people scan documents/web pages/lists.

Having a demo board and asking people what they like most is one way to do things, but I am not will actually result in the 'best' method being chosen. Some people will just guess, or like the colour, without putting much thought into it.

Such testing isn't necessarily cheap, but NR would of course be doing such testing for the entire railway network so only has to shell out once!
 

theshillito

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2014
Messages
309
Location
Crewe
It would be nice if "via X" was correctly set on existing displays to be honest. All Crewe departures to Manchester are listed as "via Wilmslow", regardless as to whether it goes via Stockport or via Manchester Airport, which seems like a major oversight.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,292
It would be nice if "via X" was correctly set on existing displays to be honest. All Crewe departures to Manchester are listed as "via Wilmslow", regardless as to whether it goes via Stockport or via Manchester Airport, which seems like a major oversight.

:D Quite! Didn't Manchester -> Crewe services in the past used to be designated as either "via Styal" or "via Stockport"?
 

theshillito

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2014
Messages
309
Location
Crewe
:D Quite! Didn't Manchester -> Crewe services in the past used to be designated as either "via Styal" or "via Stockport"?

Considering most services via the airport don't stop at Styal any more, I would suspect a change was necessary, but broke it in the process.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Seemingly passengers have enough trouble trying to read the CIS properly at the minute to see if their train really does stop where you said it will yet you want to actually cancel out the calling points?


Words fail me
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,720
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Seemingly passengers have enough trouble trying to read the CIS properly at the minute to see if their train really does stop where you said it will yet you want to actually cancel out the calling points?

Words fail me

Are you familiar with the Manc Picc displays? There are no displays showing a full set of calling points per train other than on the platforms, which makes the "via" tagline (added on the end-destination-only type displays where there is ambiguity) more important than elsewhere.

Neil
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
It would be nice if "via X" was correctly set on existing displays to be honest. All Crewe departures to Manchester are listed as "via Wilmslow", regardless as to whether it goes via Stockport or via Manchester Airport, which seems like a major oversight.

At Manchester Piccadilly, only trains via Manchester Airport are qualified as such. Other Crewe trains aren't given via points. London trains are never given via points, except the morning one that goes Via Birmingham New Street.

Crewe seems to do just fine in advertising correct via points. They do advertise 'Manchester Piccadilly Via Manchester Airport' sometimes, I have seen it!

There's a morning train 'London Euston via Birmingham & Northampton' - advertised quite correctly.

I recently saw a train at Crewe advertised as 'Wolverhampton Via Stoke, Rugby & Birmingham'.

Wakefield Westgate advertises some trains to Leeds that call there as 'Via Outwood' - which to me seems unnecessary. After all, all trains to Leeds from there are via Outwood, even if they don't stop!
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,720
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
At Manchester Piccadilly, only trains via Manchester Airport are qualified as such. Other Crewe trains aren't given via points. London trains are never given via points, except the morning one that goes Via Birmingham New Street.

You sure? I thought they did get "via Crewe" or "via Stoke-on-Trent"?

On the old Merseyrail Solari displays I remember "Ormskirk via Orrell Park", though there was no other option. It turns out that the other one was something like "Ormskirk via Bootle New Strand" had the North Mersey Branch been reopened as planned.

Edit: Ormskirk via Ford, apparently: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uk.railway/FYGB2t5a0NU

Neil
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
Had a quick look this morning, not even the 0627 had a Via Point! Most odd.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Are you familiar with the Manc Picc displays? There are no displays showing a full set of calling points per train other than on the platforms, which makes the "via" tagline (added on the end-destination-only type displays where there is ambiguity) more important than elsewhere.

Neil

Never noticed when I have been there. But I am talking from direct experience at many London terminals and out lying stations even outside the zones.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top