• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most unusual/unexpected unit allocation you’ve been on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,517
Location
London
I did enjoy a 205/207 Thumper pair from Salisbury to Exeter St Davids circa 1991. Quite a racket climbing from Seaton Jnc to Honiton Summit, especially through the tunnel.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,517
Location
London
Seem to remember being on a class 85 Euston-Warrington BQ on a Glasgow service in the 80s. I assume a replacement for an 87.

Would it have got over Shap with a full rake?

I guess not, so must have been replaced at Preston or another locomotive added.

85's did full heavy trains over Shap on a daily basis. No fuss there.
 
Joined
27 May 2021
Messages
696
Location
Daventry
A 158/144 combo on a late evening Middlesborough - Manchester Airport one Sunday around May 2003
The Pacer was a 3 car WYPTE version which had been used on the Whitby Line as extra capacity, and, I guess, was hitching a lift back to Leeds.
 

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,932
Location
Newport
Seem to remember being on a class 85 Euston-Warrington BQ on a Glasgow service in the 80s. I assume a replacement for an 87.

Would it have got over Shap with a full rake?
Oh yes! Roarers were no rarer in Scotland than anywhere else.
 

Acfb

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2018
Messages
616
I rode a pacer between Manchester Piccadilly and Preston around 2016/17. I can't remember what the destination was (Preston/Blackpool N/Windermere/Barrow). Maybe not that strange in the grand scheme of things but it was just about the only time I remembered riding a pacer.
 

noddingdonkey

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
927
In the late 90s, when Transpennine was part of RRNE, it was not unusual for a 156 to deputise for the booked 158. One morning peak, my train on a service that originated at Leeds towards Manchester was a 142!

The catering guy was looking bemused about how he would get his trolley through. Happily the Guard went to make a call and managed to get a set swap for a 158.
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
Many years ago I was with my parents at Herne Bay waiting for a train back to London. Much to my parent's surprise along came a Pullman at the time on our ticket reservations. We got on after checking with guard. He confirmed that this was the right train. I would imagine my parents enjoyed the luxury.
 

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
Many years ago I was with my parents at Herne Bay waiting for a train back to London. Much to my parent's surprise along came a Pullman at the time on our ticket reservations. We got on after checking with guard. He confirmed that this was the right train. I would imagine my parents enjoyed the luxury.
Even in more recent years there was two occassions of these special Pullman carriage steam hauled trains replacing Southeastern services:

61016 Tornado worked an Ashford to London service in December 2009:


35028 Clan Line worked an Ashford to London service in November 2016:


On the second one the Southeastern commuters were even treated to a full cooked breakfast while sitting in the VSOE Pullman carriages.
 

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
Presumably it was 60163 Tornado....or was it a case of "See it, say it, sorted"? :D
Hahahaha. Very well spotted. That horrid annoying See It Say It Sorted advert has got stuck in my head so much that i automatically put 61016 instead of typing the correct 60163 number.
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,277
1P99 (Derby to Kettering via Corby) and 1F56 (Kettering to Sheffield) throwing up a pair of 156s vice 222, and I believe even a 170 has worked it before!
Still the only post Midland Mainline era Class 170 to run on the MML South of Leicester in service.
 

Attachments

  • 20210506_180151.jpg
    20210506_180151.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 46

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,466
Location
Somerset
A Tyseley 116/127 from New Street to Taunton in March 1986 (providing connections to the West Country off a Scottish service which had been diverted via the S&C)
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
Even in more recent years there was two occassions of these special Pullman carriage steam hauled trains replacing Southeastern services:

61016 Tornado worked an Ashford to London service in December 2009:


35028 Clan Line worked an Ashford to London service in November 2016:


On the second one the Southeastern commuters were even treated to a full cooked breakfast while sitting in the VSOE Pullman carriages.
The Pullman Train incident happened in the late 50s early 60s. Was there in those days a " Thanet Belle?"
 

lxfe_mxtterz

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2018
Messages
1,072
Location
Sarahdale (West of Emmerdale)
A few months back, a 444 worked the early morning 2D06 0458 Guildford to Waterloo via Epsom service, substituting for the pair of booked 455s.

Rather disappointingly I wasn't working it, however a colleague of mine was, and had I known I would've paid good money to work that service(!) <(
 

Uncle Buck

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2020
Messages
336
Location
Glasgow
Not sure this quite counts but when Glasgow Queen Street was closed in 2026 a Deltic was occasionally to be seen moving ECS around. I don’t believe it performed any passenger duties but if it did surely a 55-year-old diesel locomotive, designed for high-speed services on the East Coast, hauling passenger services on a Glasgow commuter route operated by EMUs takes the prize!
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,124
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Not sure this quite counts but when Glasgow Queen Street was closed in 2026 a Deltic was occasionally to be seen moving ECS around. I don’t believe it performed any passenger duties but if it did surely a 55-year-old diesel locomotive, designed for high-speed services on the East Coast, hauling passenger services on a Glasgow commuter route operated by EMUs takes the prize!
2026?
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,730
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Exeter to/from Okehampton service. The allocated sets for past 14 days were exclusively 150/2; and I rode a 150/2 on the line back in early summer 2009..

Yet, 166211 is allocated (data on Realtime Trains) today for:
2K13 18:45 Exeter St David's to Okehampton
2R63 19:31 Okehampton to Exeter Central
 

Class15

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
4,179
Location
North London or Mildmay line
Exeter to/from Okehampton service. The allocated sets for past 14 days were exclusively 150/2; and I rode a 150/2 on the line back in early summer 2009..

Yet, 166211 is allocated (data on Realtime Trains) today for:
2K13 18:45 Exeter St David's to Okehampton
2R63 19:31 Okehampton to Exeter Central
165s have sometimes worked Okehampton, but 166s seems new. Maybe I haven’t kept up!
 

317362

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2017
Messages
356
Again, wasn't on (sadly) but Rail 1988 yearbook has 19/2/88 for 205032 late night 0045 Reading-Paddington. Sadly no pic.
 

Belfastmarty

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2020
Messages
120
Location
Belfast
As a junior and fairly green enthusiast I was pleasantly surprised to encounter railbus RB3 between Coleraine and Portrush in place of the expected 80 class DEMU. Wouldn't mind travelling on either of those again ..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top