• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MG11 for sitting in First Class with a standard class ticket for 1 one stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Hello everyone, I’ve received the notice and I’ll leave the photos of it attached below. I’ve already covered the personal data and references

This is what I want to write:

‘I would like deeply and sincerely apologize. It was a mistake I will never repeat

Could I ask please for on out of court settlement and to cover all your costs’

PS
I’ll write this on the form once you think it’s appropriate

I wanted to ask you if this is the usual form they send out? I’ve gotten a little sick seeing there ‘notice of intention to prosecute’, ‘magistrates’ and ‘prison’
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3269.jpeg
    IMG_3269.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3268.jpeg
    IMG_3268.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3267.jpeg
    IMG_3267.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 71
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
Yes, that's the usual letter they send.

I assume you will make your response a little longer than the two lines you have posted? Whilst that may get the response you are looking for, it doesn't suggest you've taken the time and consideration that they would probably expect someone who is being threatened with prosecution would do.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Sorry about that, I thought they don’t have time for this

But ok, I can write a few more sentences although I’m not looking for any excuses. This is what I can add:

I would like deeply and sincerely apologize. It was a mistake I will never repeat

I boarded the train at the very back, sat on a standard seat and then I looked for a bathroom and there was none available. I ended up at the front of the train looking for a toilet with an urge to use the toilet to urinate and I sat on the nearest seat which was in first class just to be able to hold it until the next stop and rest since I have a long history of back pain (which can be proven with GP records since 2015), having in mind that most other standard seats were busy.



I am not looking for any excuses and I had no plan to fare evade before or while on the train. I’m aware of the mistake and that it is not acceptable

Could I ask please for on out of court settlement and to cover all your costs


PS
I don’t really to want add too many explanations like my back issue (my back pain is real and it have it since year 10 and then I saw the GP and physio for it), because it feels like I’m looking for excuses which I’m not, but that’s all that happened

If this addition isn’t needed, I can maybe say that a criminal conviction will lead to losing my job as I cannot have absolutely anything on the dbs

I could also add that I asked the ticket inspector to upgrade my ticket but he couldn’t because my ticket wasn’t bought directly from the train’s website and then I wanted to pay a penalty fare, but there was mg11 notice instead printed on the portable ticket machine to the inspector’s surprise
 
Last edited:

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
I've made some changes below.

I would like deeply and sincerely apologize for sitting in First Class with a Standard Class ticket. It was a mistake I will never repeat.

I boarded the train at the very back, sat on a standard seat and then I looked for a bathroomtoilet and there was none available nearby. I ended up at the front of the train looking for one a toilet with an urge to use the toilet to urinate and I sat on the nearest seat which was in first class just to be able to hold it until the next stop and rest since I have a long history of back pain (which can be proven with GP records since 2015), having in mind that most other standard seats were busy. as other seats were busy.



I am not looking for any excuses and I had no plan to fare evade before or while on the train. I’m now aware of the mistake that I should not have done this and that it is not acceptable.

I would be very grateful if you would consider Could I ask please for on out of court settlement instead of prosecution and appreciate that any settlement, if offered, would include the difference in fare and also would need to cover all your costs.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
I've made some changes below.

I would like deeply and sincerely apologize for sitting in First Class with a Standard Class ticket. It was a mistake I will never repeat.

I boarded the train at the very back, sat on a standard seat and then I looked for a bathroomtoilet and there was none available nearby. I ended up at the front of the train looking for one a toilet with an urge to use the toilet to urinate and I sat on the nearest seat which was in first class just to be able to hold it until the next stop and rest since I have a long history of back pain (which can be proven with GP records since 2015), having in mind that most other standard seats were busy. as other seats were busy.



I am not looking for any excuses and I had no plan to fare evade before or while on the train. I’m now aware of the mistake that I should not have done this and that it is not acceptable.

I would be very grateful if you would consider Could I ask please for on out of court settlement instead of prosecution and appreciate that any settlement, if offered, would include the difference in fare and also would need to cover all your costs.

This is what I’ve just put in writing. I’ll send it off if it looks acceptable. I can still modify, I’ve used erasable ink
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3271.jpeg
    IMG_3271.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
It looks as fine as a handwritten letter can be given that the art of writing legibly seems to have died off sometime in the last 50 years.

You would be advised to get proof of posting from a post office just in case it gets mislaid, which seems to happen quite frequently from cases we see.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Yes, I’ll get a proof of posting and tracked delivery service, I appreciate your kind help so far

How long does it take to receive the outcome?
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
Yes, I’ll get a proof of posting and tracked delivery service, I appreciate your kind help so far

How long does it take to receive the outcome?
Once you respond most companies seem reasonably quick in getting back to you.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Hello everyone, I was offered the settlement and have paid on the same day. I guess this wraps it up?

Thank you for your support
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3319.jpeg
    IMG_3319.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 100

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,319
Hello everyone, I was offered the settlement and have paid on the same day. I guess this wraps it up?

Thank you for your support
Thanks for update - keep copies of proof of payment and their reply etc and all the original paperwork and be prepared to keep them long term (ie certainly longer than a year) in the, hopefully unlikely, event that you might need them again.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Will do. I won’t go through the same mistakes again, but do you mean they might reopen the case even if I’ll never make any trouble?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,319
Will do. I won’t go through the same mistakes again, but do you mean they might reopen the case even if I’ll never make any trouble?
I doubt they will - but cock ups do happen and you need to have your paperwork to be able to easily prove the matter was concluded and resolved.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top