Jools619
Member
I know i’m late jumping in this, but just curious if anyone knows how often do Metrolink advertise for Tram drivers during the course of a year?
It’s now a 12 week courseI would say every couple of months. The training course is around 2 months long, 2 weeks classroom, 2 weeks driving with a minder, 2 weeks classroom, 2 weeks driving with a minder. The turnover of drivers is high so they are always looking to recruit all year round.
We all passed our first driving assessment on Friday (end of the 2nd week) and are now looking forward to the end of this coming week to go out of service driving with our minders on the mainline. If your start date is June 8th, then I know another lad starting on that date too. I’m sure we will catch each other in the canteen, etc.
Hi, well done on passing the assessments! Yes, my start date is the 8th of June. Looking forward to it. I was just checking, do you have any idea of the shift patterns, etc.?
Hi guys, just wanted to jump on this thread. I have passed all tests, medicals, etc., and have been offered a start date. I just wanted to know, does anyone have any information on what the roster is like since the new unite deal? Thanks.
Also any information on what to expect on the 12 weeks training
I start on June 8th too. Did you get your first-day instructions and schedule email last week?
Hi, yes, I start on the 8th of June as well.
I got the first-day instructions last week. It looks like a 10-week course, but I'm unsure as some of the dates were a bit mixed up on mine.
Yes seemed to be a 10 week schedule, dates did look a little messed up but I'm sure we will know more on Monday.Hi guys, just wanted to jump on this thread. I have passed all tests, medicals, etc., and have been offered a start date. I just wanted to know, does anyone have any information on what the roster is like since the new unite deal? Thanks.
Also any information on what to expect on the 12 weeks training
Yes that what's it looked like a bit messed up like you say will find out monday . Yes I've just tried logging into cascade think it must be for when we start .Yes seemed to be a 10 week schedule, dates did look a little messed up but I'm sure we will know more on Monday.
Did you have any luck logging into Cascade? I can't seem to login with the details they gave me. Maybe we're only supposed to use the login when we start officially.
Cascade access will be sorted for Monday at Queens and you can then log on and change your password. Any issues, speak with Zeenat in the People TeamYes seemed to be a 10 week schedule, dates did look a little messed up but I'm sure we will know more on Monday.
Did you have any luck logging into Cascade? I can't seem to login with the details they gave me. Maybe we're only supposed to use the login when we start officially.
Thank youCascade access will be sorted for Monday at Queens and you can then log on and change your password. Any issues, speak with Zeenat in the People Team
No problem at all. The first couple of weeks are pretty intense and you’ll think a definite information overload but it’s well worth it. We’ve just started our 6th week now. This week and next back in the classroom and then we’re out in service driving properly with our minders again.Thank you
Thanks.No problem at all. The first couple of weeks are pretty intense and you’ll think a definite information overload but it’s well worth it. We’ve just started our 6th week now. This week and next back in the classroom and then we’re out in service driving properly with our minders again.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
GOOD LUCK TO ALL NEW STARTERS TOMORROW MORNING AT QUEENS ROAD
Hi, i had my psycomatric with northern train driver, i did manage to passed all test exept cable and dial.Hi, I have the psychometric assessment this week, and I’m wondering do they also do interview on this day or is it just the assessments? And do you know what the stages are before you start training (if you pass them all) I’m just wondering what to expect
Hi. I'm interested on Wednesday for practical assessment and interview.Hello,
So there's 2 stages to the assessments which you'll do on 2 different days.
First stage:
- Dials (Circle shapes with needles on them labeled Heat, Power, Control etc) - You sort them in order of priority
- Group bourdon (shapes)
If you pass that then:
Second stage:
- Group task to come up with a PA announcement
- Get on and off tram
- Make an announcement on tram PA systems
- Operate a track lever - They'll show you how
- Hazard perception
- Radio calls listening test (not a pass or fail but do your best)
- One to one interview with hiring manager
If you pass them all then they'll make an offer to you, discuss a start date and send you for a medical.
Hi Rachel. Sorry to jump on this thread but I was just wondering what sort of questions they ask at interview?Hi guys, just wanted to jump on this thread. I have passed all tests, medicals, etc., and have been offered a start date. I just wanted to know, does anyone have any information on what the roster is like since the new unite deal? Thanks.
Also any information on what to expect on the 12 weeks training
The 4-5 questions the Driver Training Manager will ask you are mostly safety related. For example there is an aggressive passenger on your tram, what would you do? You wouldn’t approach them, you’d stay in your locked cab and contact NMC (control) on the radio and either ask for assistance or request a code Alpha. They ALWAYS want safety to come first and foremost in every situation.Hi. I'm interested on Wednesday for practical assessment and interview.
Any tips you have would be grateful.
I'm confident regarding the tests however I've not had an interview in years and I'm quite nervous about my answers. What sort of questions do they ask? Thanks
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Hi Rachel. Sorry to jump on this thread but I was just wondering what sort of questions they ask at interview?
I'm doing practical assessment next week. Any tips would be great thanks.
And well done on passing
Hi mate,Hi, i had my psycomatric with northern train driver, i did manage to passed all test exept cable and dial.
I still have a 2 chance left.
Need your advice please if i apply for tram driver and will get psycomatric do i need to do cable and dial test only?
Tram psycomatric standerdized nationally via RSSB?
CheersThe 4-5 questions the Driver Training Manager will ask you are mostly safety related. For example there is an aggressive passenger on your tram, what would you do? You wouldn’t approach them, you’d stay in your locked cab and contact NMC (control) on the radio and either ask for assistance or request a code Alpha. They ALWAYS want safety to come first and foremost in every situation.
One question at the end was “Give me an example where you realised that you’d made a mistake and what you did to rectify the situation”. They’re looking for you to be honest and hold your hands up at the first opportunity.
Hope it all goes well for you?
Thank you matey,Hi mate,
Yes you do have to do the cables and dials test for Metrolink. The cables and dials you do for Northern is 'exactly the same' as the one you do for Northern/Avanti/TPE or any other rail company. The cables and dials is set by the RSSB and since Metrolink is a LRV which operates on heavy rail in segregated area, you must pass that test to even be considered. Good news is you've done it once so you know what to expect.
The cables and dials is the only test at Metrolink which is the same as Northern tests. At Northern you would have done the Group Bourdon (dots), you'll also do that test with Metrolink but instead of 'dots' it'll be 'shapes'.
Hi all
I have been invited to a psychometric test on the 21st. I must admit I do feel quite nervous about it as it's something completely new for me.
My question is are these tests on a computer or on paper?
Thanks!
I've been training for the letter one, but apparently on the last recruitment they done it was the dots. so I've got one whole day to practise dots too, so I've already accepted my chances are very slim now lolHey everyone!
I just wanted to know in regards to the SCAAT/Bourdon test. Is it shapes or numbers etc? I'm just trying to practise as close to the real thing as possible.
Thanks in advance,
Eric.
HiHey everyone!
I just wanted to know in regards to the SCAAT/Bourdon test. Is it shapes or numbers etc? I'm just trying to practise as close to the real thing as possible.
Thanks in advance,
Eric.
Hello, I wanted to ask how it went and fine and if you can give any insite of how the day wentHi everyone
I’ve recently passed Stage 1 (psychometrics) for the Tram Driver role at KeolisAmey Metrolink and have been invited to Stage 2 at Queens Road Depot.
I’ve seen previous posts mentioning that Stage 2 includes the PA announcement task, track lever exercise, hazard perception, listening test, and interview.
For anyone who has attended recently, I’d be really grateful for a bit of insight on a few specifics:
- PA Announcement Task: For both the group exercise and individual announcement on the tram, what key points or tone do assessors look for? Any specific layout they prefer (e.g., reason for delay, next steps, apology)?
- Hazard Perception: Is this standard road/DVSA style software, or tailored specifically to light rail/tram routes?
- Competency Interview: Are there any specific core competencies (e.g., safety focus, shift flexibility, customer service) that the hiring managers heavily focus on during the 1-to-1?
Appreciate any tips or experiences anyone can share
Thanks
Julian
HiHello, I wanted to ask how it went and fine and if you can give any insite of how the day went