• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail network in a day from Selhurst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Morning all,

I have a copy of the Merseyrail map and am trying to plan a trip from Selhurst to there.

Is it possible that getting to Chester(?) at about 10:15 to do the whole Merseyrail network in a day and get back to Selhurst before 8pm?

If so what would be the best route to do all the lines with maximum units and minimum fuss?

Open to all ideas at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Well... I've done it in a day from Epsom which is pretty much the same in practical terms, except I have always started via Lime Street.

Whether you start at Chester or Lime Street, I would say go for the track coverage first then collect your haulages on the busier central sections.
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Thanks Peter.

Can you remember what route you did?

I'm not doing it just yet as I think Lime Street is undergoing some work.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,864
Location
West of Andover
Starting/finishing at Chester is a sensible idea, assuming it be on a Saturday:

08:10 Euston - Chester Virgin service [or 07:35 Euston - Manchester service as far as Crewe, changing over to the Chester shuttle], then probably something like:
Chester - Hooton - Ellesmere Port - City Centre - Either New Brighton or West Kirkby - Birkenhead North - the other Wirral branch - Moorfields - head on the first northbound service to Kirkby - Rice Lane - Fast Walk to Walton - Ormskirk - Sandhills - Southport - Hunts Cross - Moorfields - Lime Street.
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Cheers Kite.

Most likely a Saturday or if I take a day off work it'll be a Tuesday or a Thursday.

I have a loose plan written down but I hoped someone else had done it and could pass on any tips for getting the most out of it.

Looks like a good routing.

Neil.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
Just to add to Kite159's summary:
Walton to Rice Lane or vv is max 5min walk and a useful short cut.
You could also consider the 375/385 bus from Southport to Ormskirk to cut off a corner (but combining the two means you lose about 100m of track at Walton, if that's an issue).
Might also be worth checking Hunts Cross-Lime St direct.
 

johnmoly

Member
Joined
26 Dec 2014
Messages
111
Location
liverpool
Liverpool Lime Street mainline station is currently shut for the upgrade, but the Merseyrail underground station at Lime Street is operating normally.

Hunts Cross to Lime Street - you would have to change at Moorfields, after Liverpool Central, to go to Lime Street. Currently no trains are running from Hunts Cross until end of July due to the Lime Street mainline station upgrade, they are running from Liverpool South Parkway instead.
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Just to add to Kite159's summary:
Walton to Rice Lane or vv is max 5min walk and a useful short cut.
You could also consider the 375/385 bus from Southport to Ormskirk to cut off a corner (but combining the two means you lose about 100m of track at Walton, if that's an issue).
Might also be worth checking Hunts Cross-Lime St direct.
Couple good ideas there .. thanks :)
Liverpool Lime Street mainline station is currently shut for the upgrade, but the Merseyrail underground station at Lime Street is operating normally.

Hunts Cross to Lime Street - you would have to change at Moorfields, after Liverpool Central, to go to Lime Street. Currently no trains are running from Hunts Cross until end of July due to the Lime Street mainline station upgrade, they are running from Liverpool South Parkway instead.
Thanks, I am hoping to do this in either August or September
Likely to be pricey if you do it midweek due to Virgin's excessive Anytime fares in the morning peak.
I'm ok ticket wise. ;)
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
I may well do.

Decision to travel up will probably rather last minute (if I can get cover at work).
 

sgraIRL

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
40
03_179

I am doing it in September. I have 36 trains down on the plan, but I have a little longer than you and I am not trying to cover 100% of the network.
Best of luck with your trip. I'll see how I get on! Might need a 2nd trip to bag the entire fleet, if I have time.

S
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Afraid not, sorry - it's a few years since my last trip there although of course once the new trains are in service...
Thanks Peter.
03_179

I am doing it in September. I have 36 trains down on the plan, but I have a little longer than you and I am not trying to cover 100% of the network.
Best of luck with your trip. I'll see how I get on! Might need a 2nd trip to bag the entire fleet, if I have time.

S

I'm after the miles,the units and trying to cover all the lines. Let me know how you get on. I'd be interested to see your trip report.

When I've done mine I'll put it on my blog (see below) and here. September looks most likely for me too as I have a holiday in August and a trip to Swansea as well. I may try to squeeze in a smaller trip to get the rest of the 395s up to 20 miles each.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Just a suggestion, but why not play around with Real Time Trains to work out your most efficient way of covering all the track from either possible starting point? The quicker you can do that, the more time you'll have in the central area to crunch the haulages...
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Hi Peter,

I have already had a play around with RTT.

Most units I want to complete a minimum of 5 or 10 miles on but I think with the MerseyRail units I'll just go with 1 mile.
 

sgraIRL

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
40
How does this look? I've put it as an image to keep it formatted. It's based on a Saturday

As far as I can see it gets you around every inch of the MerseyRail
Only issue is I cannot work out a way to achieve that goal and get you some 'shuttle' time to catch some different unit #'s
N.B. I have not exhaustive in checking it out, could be some errors!

The bit highlighted in yellow is the 'squeaky' bus to rail connection - could all go wrong there


upload_2018-7-19_11-20-6.png
 

sgraIRL

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2018
Messages
40
The start and finish are based on the travel planner recommended cross London transfer times, which are generous. Being local you will know that yourself best, so you could probably shave some time off the start and finish times. I think while Lime Street is closed going to Liverpool South Parkway is best, I could not make in and out from Chester work.
 

03_179

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2008
Messages
3,867
Location
At my desk
Looks good.

I may be on a train out of Euston a bit later as it depends on the a) family b) trains out of Selhurst running on time c) being able to get on the tube at Victoria (they close off entrances in the morning rush hour for over crowding).
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
I've a few trips coming up but I may consider Liverpool for the Merseyrail network towards the end of September. I go for lines rather than units and so far only completed Chester to Liverpool.

I hope it all works out for you 03_179. I'd also like to read your report.
 

johnmoly

Member
Joined
26 Dec 2014
Messages
111
Location
liverpool
When are you thinking of doing this ??. Be aware that once Lime Street is finished at the end of July, Virgin will not be stopping at Liverpool South Parkway, they will go straight to Lime Street. LSP has a section of temporary platform added on to platform 4 to take the larger Virgin trains.

I suppose you could get off at Runcorn, and wait on the same platform for a following London North Western train which does stop at LSP.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,326
Looking at completing the Merseyrail network at somepoint too . Only done Southport - Liverpool and Chester - Liverpool.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
3 minutes at Ormskirk is according to Googlemaps impossible.
However, walking from Walton to Rice Lane inside 6 mins is comfortable, which would recoup the 15 mins lost at Ormskirk.
I note you've had to omit Ellesmere Port, but are doing Chester - Lpool - South Parkway twice.
 

jamesst

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
1,376
Location
Merseyside
Also be aware that towards October times will change on the Chester line especially as a result of the leaf fall timetable
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top