• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill bus driver arrested over homophobic remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,719
BBC reporting the driver made homophobic remarks to a couple on a bus and then subsequently prevented from boarding his bus a few days later. The driver has been arrested
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,143
Location
Redcar
Article in question...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-36567069

A bus driver has been arrested over claims he verbally abused a young gay couple and barred them from his bus.

The incident is alleged to have taken place on board a McGill's bus in Glasgow on Friday 10 June.

The driver is reported to have sworn and told the two 20-year-old male passengers that "people like you" should not be on the McGill's bus.

Police Scotland confirmed a 46-year-old man was arrested under a law that deals with homophobic offences.

A spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that on the 17th June a 46-year-old man was arrested in connection with an alleged offence under section 38 of the Criminal Justice and Licensing Act 2010 which is alleged to have occurred in Peat Road, in Pollok, on June 10.

"A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal."

The couple are reported to have described sitting in shock during the journey, but said they challenged the driver as they got off.

They claimed he told them they were banned from using McGill's buses in future and that he refused to let them on his bus a few days later.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
Being gay myself, this is disgusting if it is true. I hope the driver is dismissed accordingly.

How inconsiderate, especially after the events in Orlando last week.
 

robertclark125

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2008
Messages
1,650
Location
Cardenden, Fife
Totally disgraceful. I'd have thought he would've been pleased to have two paying passengers on his bus. It just shows you how ungrateful some folk are, and how disgraceful some people still think.
 

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2013
Messages
1,604
Location
Bridgeton, Glasgow
Going by where the incident happened, sounds like it was a Barrhead driver. Not really surprised by this as most of the drivers McGill's employ are knuckle dragging cretins. The only decent drivers are the ex-Arriva lot and they are slowing dwindling.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Going by where the incident happened, sounds like it was a Barrhead driver. Not really surprised by this as most of the drivers McGill's employ are knuckle dragging cretins. The only decent drivers are the ex-Arriva lot and they are slowing dwindling.

Am I the only one to see the irony in that statement?
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,835
Location
Clydebank
I'd let the investigation take it's course rather than hastily jump to conclusions, as these are merely accusations at the present time. If the accusations do indeed turn out to be true (as a young gay male myself), I hope appropriate action is taken. Behaviour like this makes my stomach turn.
 
Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2010
Messages
2,950
I am not saying anything about this case, but it is often the case that the version of events reported in the press turns out not to be true. At least a lot of buses now have cctv which should help establishing the facts.

I remember a similar incident reported in the press in my area which turned out that the passengers had just been asked to leave the bus because of their behaviour but they claimed it was because they were gay.
 
Last edited:

ivanhoe

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2009
Messages
963
I have a lot of time for bus drivers , given the responsibility that they not only for their passengers but also to other road users. The majority I have come across are fine men and women and the case of the the McGill driver who has been arrested for his homophobic comments and behaviour ,should not reflect badly on bus drivers in general. It was an isolated incident that will be dealt with by the Scottish Legal System.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
I have had problems with there drivers before, boarded one of their services the driver clearly accepted my pass only for 2 minutes later shout back at me that my pass was not accepted and I needed to get off the bus!
Clearly diver rudeness and inappropriate comments is not just limited to one single driver!
Sam
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
22,967
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I have had problems with there drivers before, boarded one of their services the driver clearly accepted my pass only for 2 minutes later shout back at me that my pass was not accepted and I needed to get off the bus!
Clearly diver rudeness and inappropriate comments is not just limited to one single driver!
Sam

Remember that these are allegations only. Let the authorities and operator investigate to see what actually happened. Also, just because one driver may have an issue with you, that is not to then draw a parallel with anything else that has been reported.

I think (or I'd like to think) that we all abhor any form of discrimination whether that be in terms of sexuality, race, religion or any other facet. That is a given. Let the authorities investigate and decide what has happened and what should the outcome be.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
Remember that these are allegations only. Let the authorities and operator investigate to see what actually happened. Also, just because one driver may have an issue with you, that is not to then draw a parallel with anything else that has been reported.

I think (or I'd like to think) that we all abhor any form of discrimination whether that be in terms of sexuality, race, religion or any other facet. That is a given. Let the authorities investigate and decide what has happened and what should the outcome be.
Obviously yes, however my point that I was making was that customer care seems to be an issue with the company. My point back up by another poster, commenting on the same thing as me. Regardless of the recent investigation (which the truth will come put of in due course), I still think think this should be a wake up call for McGills to improve on the custimer service skills of their drivers.
Sam
 

d1672

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2011
Messages
125
Location
Cumbernauld
Obviously yes, however my point that I was making was that customer care seems to be an issue with the company. My point back up by another poster, commenting on the same thing as me. Regardless of the recent investigation (which the truth will come put of in due course), I still think think this should be a wake up call for McGills to improve on the custimer service skills of their drivers.
Sam

I agree with this. You should try using a Glasgow Plusbus ticket. Refusals and sarcastic comments abound, at times. ALTHOUGH I must make the point that this always seems to be the same few drivers.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
...,should not reflect badly on bus drivers in general.....
absolutely not! I doubt anyone would suggest it would. However I know many people who have experienced poor service at the hands of McGills bus drivers specifically, so I do believe McGills have a problem, regardless of this case.

.... just because one driver may have an issue with you, that is not to then draw a parallel with anything else that has been reported.....
it's not just one driver causing problems at McGills.

The vast majority of bus drivers for most companies these days tend to be very polite and friendly these days. Some do seem a little grumpy but you'll get that in most industries. However, when it comes to McGills, my experiences are definitely worse than other operators, on average.

Here's another McGills incident.
...Leon Morrow posted a video on website Facebook of a conversation with a woman in which he appears to mock her.
At one point the bus driver, who started working for McGill’s in July 2015, according to his Facebook page, takes a hand off the wheel to adjust the camera so that it showed the interaction.
During the footage the bus can be seen travelling at speed in a residential area....
There appear to be insufficient safeguards in place to ensure that only suitable candidates are employed by McGills, as there do appear to be a higher than average number of incidents occurring with McGills compared to other companies.

It's a problem with the company itself, in my opinion.
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
22,967
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
absolutely not! I doubt anyone would suggest it would. However I know many people who have experienced poor service at the hands of McGills bus drivers specifically, so I do believe McGills have a problem, regardless of this case.


it's not just one driver causing problems at McGills.

The vast majority of bus drivers for most companies these days tend to be very polite and friendly these days. Some do seem a little grumpy but you'll get that in most industries. However, when it comes to McGills, my experiences are definitely worse than other operators, on average.

Here's another McGills incident.

There appear to be insufficient safeguards in place to ensure that only suitable candidates are employed by McGills, as there do appear to be a higher than average number of incidents occurring with McGills compared to other companies.

It's a problem with the company itself, in my opinion.

Yes, and all that may be very valid. However, the point is that just because there are other poor experiences does not mean that this allegation is proven or not. The investigation and the facts will do that.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
Yes, and all that may be very valid. However, the point is that just because there are other poor experiences does not mean that this allegation is proven or not. The investigation and the facts will do that.
Yes, I'd say you're both right.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top