• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marriage Equality in the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
You're just looking for problems! Who assumes such things? I certainly don't and I really couldn't care less about who is gay and who isn't, what business is it of mine? I don't get continually asked if I have a girlfriend or wife or even both:o! In my experience blokes don't normally talk about relationships at work, football is a far more common topic.

I don't eat meat but I might get asked if I want a bacon sandwich or whatever, I'll just politely decline the offer, it's no big deal.

We are expected to be heterosexual by default though. I remember when I gave my big announcement, everyone thought I was taking the pee, so I had to come out again afterwards!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
Being gay myself I was very pleased of the news!

However, in spite of that, I don't go shouting out from the rooftops that I'm gay and I accept if there is a minority that don't agree in SSM, but at the end of the day us gays are human too and should be equal to the same rights as heterosexuals!
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
You're just looking for problems! Who assumes such things? I certainly don't and I really couldn't care less about who is gay and who isn't, what business is it of mine? I don't get continually asked if I have a girlfriend or wife or even both:o! In my experience blokes don't normally talk about relationships at work, football is a far more common topic.

I wish it was, but this this simply isn't the case. It's all to easy to say something isn't, doesn't, or can't, happen, when you don't have to put up with such things yourself.
 

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
You're just looking for problems! Who assumes such things? I certainly don't and I really couldn't care less about who is gay and who isn't, what business is it of mine? I don't get continually asked if I have a girlfriend or wife or even both:o! In my experience blokes don't normally talk about relationships at work, football is a far more common topic.

I don't eat meat but I might get asked if I want a bacon sandwich or whatever, I'll just politely decline the offer, it's no big deal.

Your bacon sandwich analogy is rather inapt, as I don't think coworkers are ever likely to offer their wives to me.

To get to your major point, maybe you don't discuss relationships, but I'm sure you mention them. Someone says they went to an event with their wife; you ask what someone's doing this weekend and they say their girlfriend is visiting. You don't notice it because to you it's not a big deal, and you're quite right, it shouldn't be. If you're straight then 100% of people will be fine with you being heterosexual. If you're not straight, then, rare as it might be, you have to worry that people will think of you differently because of it. Maybe 99% of people will be fine with it, but you have to worry that each person you come out to (just by small mentions) will be in the 1% who isn't fine with it.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
I was thinking more of those who have to tell all sundry that they are gay, I'm afraid that my reaction would be "so what?" which is probably the sort of reaction I'd get if I went round telling everyone that I was 'straight', most people really don't need to know one way or the other!

I won't repeat the same arguments that many have already presented before me and done in a much more elegant way than I could ever have done.

Just one thing - I struggle for the life of me to work out the relevance of this to the topic under discussion. Are you talking about the pride, or are you talking about marriage equality?

I have a role play idea - from tomorrow a marriage will only be available to two people of the same sex, and heterosexual couples will only be allowed a civil partnership. I wonder how many of those who oppose marriage equality will be up in arms about it. ;)
 

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2012
Messages
3,183
Location
Oxford
You're just looking for problems! Who assumes such things? I certainly don't and I really couldn't care less about who is gay and who isn't, what business is it of mine? I don't get continually asked if I have a girlfriend or wife or even both:o! In my experience blokes don't normally talk about relationships at work, football is a far more common topic.

I don't eat meat but I might get asked if I want a bacon sandwich or whatever, I'll just politely decline the offer, it's no big deal.

Easy for you to say when you don't actually face the issue!
 

tranzitjim

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2013
Messages
211
Location
Australia
While I still prefer not to tackle this issue in a rail based forum, some questions and points I wish to express.


*** Re:"If you do not like gay marraige, do not get a gay marriage''.

..... That ignores the problem people have with SSM. It is all about the definition of the word. You can not get married without knowing gay people are getting married too, which does destroy the true and proud meaning of the word for many people.

You can not have your head in the sand and pretend that the re-definition has not happened.

It will not in any way change the relationship between respective couples.


*** Re:"it is homophobic to be against SSM"

..... I am glad that many of you have not used this crazy term

It is used as a means to bully anti SSM people, without any realistic foundation.

The irony is that many gay people themselves are 'strongly opposed to SSM' How can they be homophobic?


*** Re:"The Slippery slope"

..... Beastie-marriage and Peado-marriage are both a little bit far fetched. But, I do hear some are pushing for both.

.... Multi partner marriage is another matter, as is marriage between grownup cousins, sisters and more.

In deed, if it is all about love, then there should be no barriers whatosever to those last two next steps.


*** Re:"Civil unionships, why are they such a second class thing?"

.... Is there anything better than to be 'equal in word'?

.....What if we where to ditch marriage, and everyone have Civil Unions only?


*** Re:"Rosa Parks incident"

.... That is not much of a likeness to me. The inherent purpose of a bus is to transport people. Whereas the word marriage has always, been to define a unionship between one man and one woman.

.... Rosa Parks was made to move from a seat, because she was not good enough. That is not the case with CUs v SSMs.

.... The word marriage is just a word, and words are used to describe people.

.... Equality for Equality sake is different to providing wheelchair access to a bus. A person in a wheelchair is stuck at home if the bus can not carry him/her. So, the qaullity of live is somewhat less.


*** Re:Homophobic bullies

.... I agree that no body should ever be bullied because they are different. Weather the basis is on being gay, color of skin, big ears etc.


*** Re:Those who disrespect SSM on principal

.... None the less, they are human beings with feelings.

....


*** Re: SSM has not changed your plans as a straight person.

.... Good for you. Do you feel anything for the many who do. You know of one Australian couple who want to end their marriage. But there are vast quantities of others. At least with Civil Marriage.

.... Do you feel anything for those people?



*** Re:Why is this so hard to grasp

.... I do not value eqaulity for equality sake. There are some matters of which are more than just equality such as wheelchairs on buses and trains. SSM v SSCU is just a tokenistic jesture nothing more.

.... You are forcing your views on a lot of people who do not want it. People do feel you are pushing gay relationships upon them by redefining the word marriage.

....Having CUs for everyone may provide the same tokinistic jesture without much of the hurt imposed upon many others.



**** Re: Marriage is a civil matter

.... Nope, just because it is regulated by a law, does not really make it a civil matter.

.... The only reason why it is there in the first place is, because of the strict Christian heritage of UK, US, Australia and other western places where it is regulated by law.


*** RE: Marriage is better known by the wider community

..... That is because 90% of us are straight, and are in a somewhat straight centric community. We are also first to expect a person to have a partner of the opposite gender too.


*** Re:The Transgender debate

.... Yes, you have an interesting point, but there are ways around that.

.... Perhaps when he/she has the operation, there could be an automatic change from Civil Unions to Marriage

.... There does need to be a term that is all inclusive. I do not agree that you need to destroy peoples belief in the word marriage to do so.





I have been in quite a number of debates on this topic over many years, watching debates on both sides of this debate. At times things can get very nasty with some people, the worst I see are those on the socialists side.

While I shall continu to disagree with the point that some other word can not be used, I shall none the less thank the people in this thread for their respectful and diplomatic manner.

I may be back, as this long post does not convey all that I feel on the matter.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Easy for you to say when you don't actually face the issue!

What issue? There was a bloke I used to work with who was gay, I don't think anybody thought any less of him in fact I think most people thought the same as me, it's his business. I don't need to know about it just as I don't need to know about another persons 'straight' relationship, private lives are exactly that.

Tranzitjims excellent post sums up the same sex marriage issue very well for me.
 

NSEFAN

Established Member
Joined
17 Jun 2007
Messages
3,518
Location
Southampton
To save repost, I've answered to each topic:

tranzitjim said:
*** Re:"If you do not like gay marraige, do not get a gay marriage''.
Is marriage some kind of club, where it's all about exclusivity?

tranzitjim said:
*** Re:"it is homophobic to be against SSM"
I agree it is not necessarily homophobic, although we should consider whether it is right to deny someone of a legal marriage simply because of their sexual orientation. Marriages are definitely no longer required for having children, so the argument that same-sex couples may not bear a child is not really a good reason for denying them a marriage.

tranzitjim said:
*** Re:"The Slippery slope"
In those cases the marriage would cause harm because:
* Animals can't give informed consent.
* Children also can't give informed consent.
* Inbreeding leads to genetic diseases, cursing future generations.

The only people I know who would push for child marriage would be because some religious text said it was okay this one time. Hardly a good reason to anything, quite frankly.

tranzitjim said:
*** Re:"Civil unionships, why are they such a second class thing?"
Some people have suggested that civil partnerships be kept, as they don't like the baggage associated with the word "married". The debate on this issue seems to boil down to the usage of a word, rather than its actual consequences.

tranzitjim said:
*** Re:"Rosa Parks incident"
It is about social status. Rosa Parks was moved from her seat because she was black, and black people weren't as good as white people in that society. By allowing same-sex couples to get married, it is giving them the same status as heterosexual couples who would marry. Why should this inclusive approach to marriage of a consenting, happy couple be at all a downgrade to its meaning?

tranzitjim said:
*** Re:Homophobic bullies
Others here have mentioned the issue of how those who are privileged don't know what it's like to not be so. Yes people have feelings but you can't please everyone. Surely it is less bad to extend rights to people, knowing that some others who like the status quo would be upset? Surely the aim of our society should be to afford as many rights as possible without causing harm?

tranzitjim said:
*** Re: SSM has not changed your plans as a straight person.
If someone is really prepared to divorce because marriage is not as exclusive then they do sound like they weren't very happy from the outset. Perhaps they are thankful for such a cop out!

tranzitjim said:
*** Re:Why is this so hard to grasp
It's not about making the people the same but giving them the same rights. As I said before, should we not be seeking to afford people as many rights as we can, so long as nobody is harmed in the process? Giving black people more rights was upsetting to many white people, but we didn't use this as an excuse to stop doing the what we felt was the right thing.

tranzitjim said:
**** Re: Marriage is a civil matter
It would help if marriage was split into civil and religious aspects, as is the case in France. People could then have any religious ceremony they want. Again, the offending issue seems to be a combination of tradition and exclusivity, neither of which are good enough reasons to veto same-sex marriages.

tranzitjim said:
There does need to be a term that is all inclusive. I do not agree that you need to destroy peoples belief in the word marriage to do so.
Again this seems to be the most upsetting thing for some people. Marriage is a word that is well established so it makes sense to add features to this, rather than continue with the civil partnership term which doesn't have the same social status (and probably won't achieve it whilst we have two words for the two separate things). I understand that the break from tradition upsets people but I can't agree that we need to bend over backwards to not offend people's sensitivities, if it means that we have to deny others the same social status simply because of their gender and sexual orientation.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
It would help if marriage was split into civil and religious aspects, as is the case in France

Why does marriage even have to have a civil aspect? Have whatever ceremony you want between whatever people you want but don't involve the authorities.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Why does marriage even have to have a civil aspect? Have whatever ceremony you want between whatever people you want but don't involve the authorities.

In terms of legal affairs, rights, responsibilities and ownership etc, I would have thought that the civil aspect of marriage was rather more important than religious hocus pocus.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
In terms of legal affairs, rights, responsibilities and ownership etc, I would have thought that the civil aspect of marriage was rather more important than religious hocus pocus.

Just because you have some kind of ceremony, shouldn't mean you get rights that single people don't have. That's discrimination. Single people certainly shouldn't pay more tax because they have been unable or unwilling to find a partner. If they really want a partner but can't find someone, asking them to pay extra tax is a real kick in the teeth.
 

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
*** Re:"it is homophobic to be against SSM"

..... I am glad that many of you have not used this crazy term

It is used as a means to bully anti SSM people, without any realistic foundation.

The irony is that many gay people themselves are 'strongly opposed to SSM' How can they be homophobic?

It's quite easy to be a self-hating minority, especially when the majority has been telling you all your life how awful being in that minority is. As an example, the person who crafted the Republican's anti-gay agenda, which helped Bush win the 2004 presidential election, turned out to be gay. Many people who bully gay people do so because they worry they themselves may have same-sex attractions.

As for those who are "strongly opposed" and yet proudly gay, this is generally an issue of wanting to destroy marriage entirely as a patriarchal throwback. They see same-sex marriage as buying into the millennia of oppression of women.

*** Re:"Civil unionships, why are they such a second class thing?"

.... Is there anything better than to be 'equal in word'?

.....What if we where to ditch marriage, and everyone have Civil Unions only?

If two things are in principle the same, but differently named, there will always be a division between those with one and those with the other. As noted earlier, separate means inherently not equal. Furthermore, it's just a faff anyway to have two different terms which are legally distinct.


*** Re:"Rosa Parks incident"

.... That is not much of a likeness to me. The inherent purpose of a bus is to transport people. Whereas the word marriage has always, been to define a unionship between one man and one woman.

That definition of marriage is pretty new, as in 1960s new. Before that the woman was expected to be subservient, before that the man could take multiple wives, or his wife's slaves, have concubines, etc etc etc.


*** Re: SSM has not changed your plans as a straight person.

.... Good for you. Do you feel anything for the many who do. You know of one Australian couple who want to end their marriage. But there are vast quantities of others. At least with Civil Marriage.

.... Do you feel anything for those people?

Can't say I do. If they feel marriage is not for them anymore so be it - there are plenty of couples who don't want to get married, there's no shame in that, but everyone should be able to get married if they want.



*** Re:Why is this so hard to grasp

.... I do not value eqaulity for equality sake. There are some matters of which are more than just equality such as wheelchairs on buses and trains. SSM v SSCU is just a tokenistic jesture nothing more.

.... You are forcing your views on a lot of people who do not want it. People do feel you are pushing gay relationships upon them by redefining the word marriage.

....Having CUs for everyone may provide the same tokinistic jesture without much of the hurt imposed upon many others.

No one is pushing gay relationships upon anyone. No one will force people to get married to someone of the same gender unless they wish to. Nor is marriage equality "redefining" the word, it's just expanding who gets to join in.

No one is being hurt by allowing same-sex couples to get married. Nor is it a token gesture - this means so so much to so many people. If same-sex couples are only allowed civil unions and opposite -sex couples only allowed marriages, that is segregation, and that is not equality, even if by law they mean the same, by custom they do not.


**** Re: Marriage is a civil matter

.... Nope, just because it is regulated by a law, does not really make it a civil matter.

.... The only reason why it is there in the first place is, because of the strict Christian heritage of UK, US, Australia and other western places where it is regulated by law.

Churches are free to bless or condemn marriages as they see fit, but just because your religion disapproves is no need to, to use your words, force your views on a lot of people who do not want it.
 

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2012
Messages
3,183
Location
Oxford
What issue? There was a bloke I used to work with who was gay, I don't think anybody thought any less of him in fact I think most people thought the same as me, it's his business. I don't need to know about it just as I don't need to know about another persons 'straight' relationship, private lives are exactly that.

Tranzitjims excellent post sums up the same sex marriage issue very well for me.

Just because there are no visible signs to you doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Also, an issue not existing for one person does not mean it exists for no-one.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
While I still prefer not to tackle this issue in a rail based forum, some questions and points I wish to express.


*** Re:"If you do not like gay marraige, do not get a gay marriage''.

..... That ignores the problem people have with SSM. It is all about the definition of the word. You can not get married without knowing gay people are getting married too, which does destroy the true and proud meaning of the word for many people.

You can not have your head in the sand and pretend that the re-definition has not happened.

It will not in any way change the relationship between respective couples.


*** Re:"it is homophobic to be against SSM"

..... I am glad that many of you have not used this crazy term

It is used as a means to bully anti SSM people, without any realistic foundation.

The irony is that many gay people themselves are 'strongly opposed to SSM' How can they be homophobic?


*** Re:"The Slippery slope"

..... Beastie-marriage and Peado-marriage are both a little bit far fetched. But, I do hear some are pushing for both.

.... Multi partner marriage is another matter, as is marriage between grownup cousins, sisters and more.

In deed, if it is all about love, then there should be no barriers whatosever to those last two next steps.


*** Re:"Civil unionships, why are they such a second class thing?"

.... Is there anything better than to be 'equal in word'?

.....What if we where to ditch marriage, and everyone have Civil Unions only?


*** Re:"Rosa Parks incident"

.... That is not much of a likeness to me. The inherent purpose of a bus is to transport people. Whereas the word marriage has always, been to define a unionship between one man and one woman.

.... Rosa Parks was made to move from a seat, because she was not good enough. That is not the case with CUs v SSMs.

.... The word marriage is just a word, and words are used to describe people.

.... Equality for Equality sake is different to providing wheelchair access to a bus. A person in a wheelchair is stuck at home if the bus can not carry him/her. So, the qaullity of live is somewhat less.


*** Re:Homophobic bullies

.... I agree that no body should ever be bullied because they are different. Weather the basis is on being gay, color of skin, big ears etc.


*** Re:Those who disrespect SSM on principal

.... None the less, they are human beings with feelings.

....


*** Re: SSM has not changed your plans as a straight person.

.... Good for you. Do you feel anything for the many who do. You know of one Australian couple who want to end their marriage. But there are vast quantities of others. At least with Civil Marriage.

.... Do you feel anything for those people?



*** Re:Why is this so hard to grasp

.... I do not value eqaulity for equality sake. There are some matters of which are more than just equality such as wheelchairs on buses and trains. SSM v SSCU is just a tokenistic jesture nothing more.

.... You are forcing your views on a lot of people who do not want it. People do feel you are pushing gay relationships upon them by redefining the word marriage.

....Having CUs for everyone may provide the same tokinistic jesture without much of the hurt imposed upon many others.



**** Re: Marriage is a civil matter

.... Nope, just because it is regulated by a law, does not really make it a civil matter.

.... The only reason why it is there in the first place is, because of the strict Christian heritage of UK, US, Australia and other western places where it is regulated by law.


*** RE: Marriage is better known by the wider community

..... That is because 90% of us are straight, and are in a somewhat straight centric community. We are also first to expect a person to have a partner of the opposite gender too.


*** Re:The Transgender debate

.... Yes, you have an interesting point, but there are ways around that.

.... Perhaps when he/she has the operation, there could be an automatic change from Civil Unions to Marriage

.... There does need to be a term that is all inclusive. I do not agree that you need to destroy peoples belief in the word marriage to do so.





I have been in quite a number of debates on this topic over many years, watching debates on both sides of this debate. At times things can get very nasty with some people, the worst I see are those on the socialists side.

While I shall continu to disagree with the point that some other word can not be used, I shall none the less thank the people in this thread for their respectful and diplomatic manner.

I may be back, as this long post does not convey all that I feel on the matter.

You keep acting like there is this fundamental difference between them, though, and all of your arguments are based on either that or the fact that people don't want gay marriage in their face.

a) Please explain this fundamental difference, which people draw such a distinction between, and why it's so important for this distinction to remain true. (I obviously mean more than "marriage is between a man and a woman")

b) Objecting to gay marriage being visible is clearly homophobic, and totally disregards the fact that gay people have had straight marriage shoved down their throats for hundreds of years.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
*** Re:"If you do not like gay marraige, do not get a gay marriage''.

..... That ignores the problem people have with SSM. It is all about the definition of the word. You can not get married without knowing gay people are getting married too, which does destroy the true and proud meaning of the word for many people.

You can not have your head in the sand and pretend that the re-definition has not happened.

I still really struggle to understand why knowing that gay people are getting married is an issue to anyone at all. Most people on their wedding day have far too much to be worried about than the thought that somewhere else a couple of gay guys are doing the same thing.

This ruling does not negatively impact on any heterosexual or heterosexual couple.

The redefinition argument is nonsense, and I can't believe I have to explain this to you yet again. The definition of marriage is actually very fluid and has changed constantly over the last 5000 years in which marriage has existed, and varies significantly between cultures. You cannot have your head in the sand and ignore this basic element of human history. There's been recorded evidence of gay marriages in ancient Rome (source). The redefinition argument relies on ignorance of the history of marriage, and more often than not ignorance on the purpose of marriage.

It will not in any way change the relationship between respective couples.

Agreed.

*** Re:"it is homophobic to be against SSM"

..... I am glad that many of you have not used this crazy term

It is used as a means to bully anti SSM people, without any realistic foundation.

The irony is that many gay people themselves are 'strongly opposed to SSM' How can they be homophobic?

I think you're the first person to bring this up. I've certainly reserved the word "homophobic" for those who genuinely hold some pretty strong views against homosexuals. I would agree that you can oppose same sex marriage without being "homophobic".

Some gay people are of course opposed to same sex marriage. I'm sure they'll manage to cope with the ruling by quite simply not having a same sex marriage. This is similar to the thousands of heterosexual couples in committed long term relationships who have not and never will get married. As I have already explained, no-one is forcing anyone else into marriage, however now gay people have the same option as their heterosexual peers.

*** Re:"The Slippery slope"

..... Beastie-marriage and Peado-marriage are both a little bit far fetched. But, I do hear some are pushing for both.

Proponents can push all they like, but as I've already explained children and animals lack the capacity to give informed consent to marriage, and as such the marriages cannot be recognised.

.... Multi partner marriage is another matter, as is marriage between grownup cousins, sisters and more.

In deed, if it is all about love, then there should be no barriers whatosever to those last two next steps.

The only barriers to polyamorous marriages are public opinion (which can change) and legal issues. I suspect we won't see it any time soon, because demand would be low and, as I've said above, the legal issues would be inherently complex, particularly relating to separation and divorce.

Incestuous marriage is an even stronger taboo and has more complex issues. Cousins can actually get married in many places. Incestuous relationships do have the issue of generating offspring which is prone to genetic conditions, and as such this is a strong argument against these unions, although of course marriage is not simply a means by which to procreate. The psychological implications of this sort of relationship can also be damaging and would be a barrier to sibling marriage. At the end of the day, there are very few people who would actively want to marry their brother or sister, and I can't see any public support for changing this.

*** Re:"Civil unionships, why are they such a second class thing?"

.... Is there anything better than to be 'equal in word'?

.....What if we where to ditch marriage, and everyone have Civil Unions only?

I've already explained why civil unions for gay people is treating them in an inferior manner. Equality for a gay couple relies on them being treated the same as a heterosexual couple. That means that they should be able to get married in the same way.

I think if we were to ditch marriage entirely, the outcry of the billions of people who are married around the world would speak for itself.

*** Re:"Rosa Parks incident"

.... That is not much of a likeness to me. The inherent purpose of a bus is to transport people. Whereas the word marriage has always, been to define a unionship between one man and one woman.

.... Rosa Parks was made to move from a seat, because she was not good enough. That is not the case with CUs v SSMs.

You've missed the point I was making. This incident was about equality. My hypothetical solution would have been seen as providing equality by some people, but in reality would not be achieving the same thing. This would be a parallel to marriage vs civil union. Some people like yourself insist that this creates equality, and on some levels it does. However, it is a false equality. It's not the same.

You then went on to hit the nail on the head by saying that Rosa Parks was asked to move because she was deemed inferior based on an aspect outwith her control. This is exactly the same with gay marriage vs civil unions. Gay people cannot control the fact that they are gay, and those in consensual gay relationships have been denied the right to get married. Along came civil partnerships, which is a bit like "the bus for black people" in my example. It appears to create equality - everyone has their own thing, or "bus". However, I'm sure you can see why "the bus for black people" is a reprehensible concept. Similarly, civil union as a substitute for gay marriage is treating homosexual couples in an inferior manner. They have been deemed "not good enough" to join the echelons of heterosexual married couples, and have to make do with "civil unions", which does confer them some of the same rights, but in the end is simply not the same.

Civil unions have been created to please everyone, but in fact do nothing to please anyone. Those for gay marriage haven't got what they want, and those against gay marriage will still oppose civil unions.

I'm not entirely sure why you've brought the disability discrimination legislation into this debate. I certainly hope you're not comparing homosexuality to a disability.

*** Re:Homophobic bullies

.... I agree that no body should ever be bullied because they are different. Weather the basis is on being gay, color of skin, big ears etc.

Good.


*** Re:Those who disrespect SSM on principal

.... None the less, they are human beings with feelings.

True, although they appear to be unable to spell.

Whilst they may be human beings, I do not agree that they have any right to stop gay people getting married. They, of course, have the right to freedom of speech to debate the issue freely, as we are doing just now. However, I feel strongly that they cannot use that freedom to restrict the freedom of others, such as the freedom of homosexual couples to enter into marriage.

*** Re: SSM has not changed your plans as a straight person.

.... Good for you. Do you feel anything for the many who do. You know of one Australian couple who want to end their marriage. But there are vast quantities of others. At least with Civil Marriage.

.... Do you feel anything for those people?

I don't understand this at all, I think you need to complete these thoughts and turn the above into coherent sentences. However, at the risk of putting words into your mouth, are you suggesting that there are "many" people who want to end their marriage because same sex marriage exists?

If indeed you are suggesting that I'm meant to feel bad because heterosexual couple are getting divorces because of gay people... quite frankly I just find the concept bizarre. I'm sure I'm just not understanding you. Please consider proof reading.

*** Re:Why is this so hard to grasp

.... I do not value eqaulity for equality sake. There are some matters of which are more than just equality such as wheelchairs on buses and trains. SSM v SSCU is just a tokenistic jesture nothing more.

.... You are forcing your views on a lot of people who do not want it. People do feel you are pushing gay relationships upon them by redefining the word marriage.

....Having CUs for everyone may provide the same tokinistic jesture without much of the hurt imposed upon many others.

And you're rehashing the old arguments again. Once again, NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO GET A GAY MARRIAGE. No one is forcing anyone else into a gay relationship. You have yet to explain in any substantial way how gay marriage is hurting, or impinging upon the freedoms of, any heterosexual couple.

Has it not occurred to you that those who oppose gay marriage have been forcing those views upon society for many centuries now?

If I was to take away any aspect of your equality, I'm sure you'd be angry about it, and rightly so.

**** Re: Marriage is a civil matter

.... Nope, just because it is regulated by a law, does not really make it a civil matter.

.... The only reason why it is there in the first place is, because of the strict Christian heritage of UK, US, Australia and other western places where it is regulated by law.

Once again, it is important that you understand that marriage predates the existence of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. It is in its original form, it was very much a legal agreement surrounding property rights. Religious involvement came much, much later. Whilst I will agree that marriage as we know it today has been largely shaped by religious traditions in the last few centuries, this does not give religious institutions any rights to control marriage.

*** RE: Marriage is better known by the wider community

..... That is because 90% of us are straight, and are in a somewhat straight centric community. We are also first to expect a person to have a partner of the opposite gender too.

I think we've already touched on this issue. I think we can all agree that "normality" is expected to be heterosexuality. I'll admit that I'm guilty of assuming people are straight until proven otherwise. I can't think of any parents who expect their children to enter a gay relationship, hence why people have to "come out". It's a great prejudice that I can't see going away any time soon.

This isn't a reason to stop gay people getting married. Because 90% of people are straight (and I think that's a conservative estimate) doesn't mean that we should stop gay marriage.

*** Re:The Transgender debate

.... Yes, you have an interesting point, but there are ways around that.

.... Perhaps when he/she has the operation, there could be an automatic change from Civil Unions to Marriage

.... There does need to be a term that is all inclusive. I do not agree that you need to destroy peoples belief in the word marriage to do so.

I've not given much thought to transexual issues in marriage. Same sex marriage certainly makes life easier for the transexual community, which is to be welcomed. I can't imagine how insisting that you change from a marriage to a civil union or vice versa is going to help anyone. It's actually quite an absurd suggestion. "Now that you've had an operation, your civil union has been redefined as a marriage". It doesn't change things for the couple.

You've created an unnecessarily complex issue for something that is relatively simple. Two people are married, simple. One has a sex change, they can do it. The marriage is still the same. Still nice and simple.

I have been in quite a number of debates on this topic over many years, watching debates on both sides of this debate. At times things can get very nasty with some people, the worst I see are those on the socialists side.

Really? Plenty of reprehensible thoughts coming from those who oppose gay marriage. In fact, it's actually quite a mainstream tactic of campaigners against gay marriage to talk about homosexual relationships being "not natural" and "not normal". That's actually a pretty vile, but commonly accepted slur. And that's before we go down the extremist route:
09-1n005-westboro-c-300x300.jpg

I've actually made very few, if any, new arguments, so I'm not going to continue any further around this merry-go-round. I have still yet to see one valid argument against gay marriage that stands up to any form of scrutiny.
 

cb a1

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2015
Messages
462
On the issue of meanings of words, I'm heterosexual and have been living with my partner for over 20 years.

We're not married largely because of all the religious, historical and societal connotations associated with the word. We would strongly consider having a civil partnership.

FWIW, I am very pleased that more and more countries are enabling same sex couples to be able to get married. What I'd like to see follow is for different sex couples to be able to get civil partnered.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top