• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Major signaling issues at London Waterloo [13/04]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,249
Location
UK
But doesn't preclude them being terminated elsewhere when such length limits don't apply.
As I think someone touched on 'upthread', a major consideration is also overcrowding that can occur on platforms. Take Surbiton, and yes I'm talking historically - pre covid, but terminate one or two UP peak hour 10 cars there, combined with the usual commuters, and p1 & 2 can become horrendously overcrowded. So then you have following trains stacking up outside the station and a very real risk of passenger DIY egress can become a possibility, which is why (IIRC?) in such instances, instructions were issued some years ago whereby trains should only be held at platforms. Overall, it can be a prudent measure to 'stop-all' initially, and then get things moving in unaffected areas as and when the crewing side of things is sorted, and by that I mean individual crews have to be contacted and agreements reached, bearing in mind most crews in the early a.m. will be sooner or later expecting to work in to (in this case) Waterloo.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
As I think someone touched on 'upthread', a major consideration is also overcrowding that can occur on platforms. Take Surbiton, and yes I'm talking historically - pre covid, but terminate one or two UP peak hour 10 cars there, combined with the usual commuters, and p1 & 2 can become horrendously overcrowded. So then you have following trains stacking up outside the station and a very real risk of passenger DIY egress can become a possibility, which is why (IIRC?) in such instances, instructions were issued some years ago whereby trains should only be held at platforms. Overall, it can be a prudent measure to 'stop-all' initially, and then get things moving in unaffected areas as and when the crewing side of things is sorted, and by that I mean individual crews have to be contacted and agreements reached, bearing in mind most crews in the early a.m. will be sooner or later expecting to work in to (in this case) Waterloo.
I hear what you are saying but I doubt Bournemouth would have been overcrowded with passengers.

Wimbledon gets very crowded with passengers at peak times due to there being only one bridge and the route up to it not that wide for the numbers alighting. That is without disruption.

Pre-covid if you were at the front of a train to London that arrived 6 minutes before your connection to Sutton, I wouldn't like to say whether you would make it in time. Especially if the train you are on arrived just within the 6-minute window. I. E. closer to 5 minutes than 6 but still technically 6.

I use 6 as 6 is the minimum connection time there for a valid connection.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top